Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #12340
Our first major DIY repair - Help

As we were traveling for 5 weeks in our 2016 Axis I noticed the floor getting soft at the front corner of the couch. I know th/ere was a leak with the previous owner under the passenger window, but it was repaired and no longer leaking. Forward to today as we decided to repair the soft floor ourselves. We pulled the couch out (one of the 4 large screws was totally stripped in the soft wood), drained the fresh water tank (our tank in the 25.2 Axis is under the couch), removed the 4 connections and sensor wires, and pulled the tank out. As we begin pulling up the vinyl flooring I notice the particle board is getting wetter as I head back toward the rear, near the water intake, outside shower, water pump, etc.

1. I find both water hoses to the outside shower totally kinked in half. Buying new ones tomorrow.

2. I find a clear glass/plastic filter on the water line that has markings as though its been leaking for years. And its loose.

I think I found the leak. Hopefully it was that filter. It was not tight at all and there was water dripping out of it. I will be replacing about 16sf of flooring with 1/2" plywood. I'm not going to use particle board like the OEM did. All the floor under the tank/couch will be replaced. I'll caulk the flooring at the wall so leaking water will have a tendency to sit on the floor and I'll see it and make needed repairs, instead of flowing under the vinyl at the wall.

Now the big question -

As I pull the rotted floor up, how is the floor attached to the coach? How do I attach the new floor board?

Thanks for the help. I've learned a ton from this forum and tackled this job because of it. And I didn't want to spend 3k for the dealer to do it.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #2

THOR #12340
Here's a pic of the filterClick image for larger version

Name:	1538931433637.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	13303
Old 10-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That looks like the strainer that goes just before the pump.

Ours was loose as well but I caught it long before there was an issue (saw water leaking at the pump).

Not sure how the floorboards are held to the frame as I've never dug into it that deeply.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #4

THOR #12340
I'll be replacing both flex hoses to the outside shower. They are 3 years to kinked!!!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #5

THOR #12340
No wonder the outside shower didn't work. This is the cold water side. The hot water side looks the same. I'm replacing both, they've been like that for 3 years apparently and won't straighten out.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181008_154101.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	13346
Old 10-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
If your floor is built like my Challenger, it is screwed to the steel subframe with rather long bolts/screws. I know as I had one back out and messed up the vinyl in one spot.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:31 AM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
For the floor I would use plywood rated for Marine use. Maybe twice the price but will last longer (not pressure treated). For further protection you can use fiberglass resin and coat the wood to seal it. Probably overkill with the resin but better plywood I think is money well spent.