Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2022, 05:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
Our Thor MH Door keeps locking us out!

Has anyone had problems with the door closing and locking on its own? One is now getting stuck and it bent the key unlocking it so we don't lock it, makes me nervous to even lock from inside and get stuck inside, so we don't use that one!
We have to leave our window unlocked, and climbing in is no fun!

If you have replaced the locks, what kind did you use? With the Arizona heat beating down on it, we hesitate to use the button/code kind as I'm worried the sun will rot the materials.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:31 PM   #2

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
I suggest replace the entire lock / latch assembly. Or at least take it out and inspect it.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If thee rig is under warranty call the lock manufacturer and request a new lock. Bauer sent mine overnight when I had a problem.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
What Year/Make/Model RV. What kind of lock? How does the standard RV door latch/lock lock itself turning the locking mechanism? Is it the latch/lock or the deadbolt lock?

Is it really locking or is it just getting stuck?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:18 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1648484315
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	61
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	36665  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:40 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #19355
Locked Out!

My 2017 Hurricane 34F has done the same thing a couple times. Luckily you can pry the passenger or drivers sliding glass open with a screwdriver and if you are lucky like we were the first time, you'll have a small grandson to put through the window to go open the door. The second time though, this 53 year old man had to climb up a step ladder then dive through the window...... Luckily there were no neighbors filming to post on Social Media LOL! Our issue is sometimes when closing the door your hand moves the lock just a little then when closed it latches. Option 2 is to leave a hidden key in an outside compartment that is accessible.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:53 PM   #7

THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by eparra View Post
My 2017 Hurricane 34F has done the same thing a couple times. Luckily you can pry the passenger or drivers sliding glass open with a screwdriver and if you are lucky like we were the first time, you'll have a small grandson to put through the window to go open the door. The second time though, this 53 year old man had to climb up a step ladder then dive through the window...... Luckily there were no neighbors filming to post on Social Media LOL! Our issue is sometimes when closing the door your hand moves the lock just a little then when closed it latches. Option 2 is to leave a hidden key in an outside compartment that is accessible.
Ours looks like the one you show.
We do have a small grandson...and two granddaughters... probably all willing but they weren't with us so my 59 yr old husband did the window diving!��
Maybe I should be ready with my phone to record! ��
Old 03-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #8

THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What Year/Make/Model RV. What kind of lock? How does the standard RV door latch/lock lock itself turning the locking mechanism? Is it the latch/lock or the deadbolt lock?

Is it really locking or is it just getting stuck?
I will follow up on what it is doing. We had to go inside and turn the locking latch...so I was assuming...and we all know what that means ��...that it was locking. We won't even attempt to lock/unlock it, with key or manually from inside, now that the key bent trying to turn it. It is the lower lock that is doing this.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:22 PM   #9
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
It maybe that the plate is a bit close to the deadlatch. If the strike plate cannot be adjusted to allow a bit more room, a metal file will allow you to make a bit more room for it so it does not jam.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:16 AM   #10

THOR #15278
Thank you everyone. We're going to replace it.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:13 AM   #11
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Always carry your door keys. I installed an electronic lock on out Palazzo. I still carry the keys. We have a friend that purchased a used SOB class B. She had the door slam on her this weekend do to the 30 mph winds and gusts. She was locked out! The sliding dead bolt just pushed ahead with the bang of the door into the strike plate. She asked me if I would try my storage keys on her back TV door. My TV hatch door key worked. She did not have the TV option, so the top of the mattress was seen and the lower plywood under the first eighteen inches of the mattress was hinged. Two step ladders, in inside the cabinet and one to get into it, duck and around 2X2's while I pushed the thick mattress and plywood up and she was in. Always keep your keys with you know matter what.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:06 AM   #12

THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Always carry your door keys. I installed an electronic lock on out Palazzo. I still carry the keys. We have a friend that purchased a used SOB class B. She had the door slam on her this weekend do to the 30 mph winds and gusts. She was locked out! The sliding dead bolt just pushed ahead with the bang of the door into the strike plate. She asked me if I would try my storage keys on her back TV door. My TV hatch door key worked. She did not have the TV option, so the top of the mattress was seen and the lower plywood under the first eighteen inches of the mattress was hinged. Two step ladders, in inside the cabinet and one to get into it, duck and around 2X2's while I pushed the thick mattress and plywood up and she was in. Always keep your keys with you know matter what.
We each carry a set now.
YIKES...that doesn't sound fun to climb into! My sis in law had to break in via the laundry shute on their trailer...she said she can't imagine how she did it and wishes my brother had recorded it! Poor girl, she had bruises on her hips for a week!
Old 04-14-2022, 05:31 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I leave the sliding drivers side window unlatched while we’re camping so I can get in if I have to. It wouldn’t be fun but I think I could do it. If I had to break in I’d go through kitchen or bathroom roof vent. Easy to break and easy to replace. My LEO friend tells me that’s how thieves and squatters usually get in. If it works for them….
Old 04-16-2022, 09:53 PM   #14

THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I leave the sliding drivers side window unlatched while we’re camping so I can get in if I have to. It wouldn’t be fun but I think I could do it. If I had to break in I’d go through kitchen or bathroom roof vent. Easy to break and easy to replace. My LEO friend tells me that’s how thieves and squatters usually get in. If it works for them….
Now I'm standing here looking at the bathroom vent...I wouldn't fit through those vents without being doused in oil and someone shoving me through! I do hope they find my 3 dogs upon landing!
The window is what we've had to navigate, thankfully we'd just checked in and it was unlocked, and has stayed that way, until we replace the lock.
Thank you!