Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Winter Storage Question

We've winterized our rig, and will be storing in the back yard for the next few months. We like to keep it accessible, as over the course of winter we may be doing some minor maintenance and such. Plus having genny and furnace available if we have an ice-storm power outage is value added for owning it in the first place! We'll be exercising the generator, engine, and keeping batteries charged periodically.

So the question - is there any formal Thor guidance or forum recommendations on the issue of leaving jacks down (leveled) and slide out for an extended period of time? During this period we expect to be in and out of the unit periodically, but usually not for long.

Are we okay being lazy and leaving rig fully accessible until mid-March, or should we close slide and raise jacks when not in use?

Old 12-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I would close slides and leave jacks up. Rust can invade the pistons of the jacks if left exposed too long. Critters looking for Fritos and a warm place to sleep might join you through the cracks and crevices of the slides in the open position. We store ours under an RV port at the house. I leave it connected to 120V 24/7 for the fridge and TV but open slides as necessary for cocktails and maintenance...then close them back up. Throw a few packs of mothballs under the coach as well. It's comforting knowing we have a second house so readily available for any reason that warrants it. Also, fill fuel tank, add Sta-bil and run engine and generator long enough to get that mix up in them...then run generator monthly with a load for a little while. Crank engine a few times over winter but not a real big deal if you don't.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I leave my coach plugged in to 50 amp and normally it's leveled with jacks down. I have never had a jack shaft rust. I will normally retract the slides but that is so I don't get a heavy ice or snow buildup on the slide toppers. I do go out to exercise all systems and run the generator under load at least once a month.

If we have a snow or ice event I will raise the jacks (prior to the event) so the coach is rear low (driveway attribute) for water runoff during the thaw which follows within a day or two.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you DO decide to lower the jacks: I suppose that you could hit them with a spray coating of lubricant...
Old 12-04-2019, 11:35 PM   #5

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
In a phone call today w Thor I asked about having the slides out w/o leveling jacks down. He said it was ok for the small (bedroom) slides to be out while I worked on the breaker box and converter. But said not to put the long (lr) slide out as there was a possibility that the frame might twist. So it’s probably best not to have the slides out w/o leveling jacks down.
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:04 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If you're in a level parking slot there is no need to deploy the levelers. Leave the slides in except when you need to extend them for your work. As long as you're level, that would apply to larger slides as well: I only have a long slide and I deploy it in my driveway all the time without levelers extended.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:01 AM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Good points made by one and all, and appreciate the feedback. Where I park is slightly off-level, probably 3 to 5 degrees front to rear, and about the same from right (passenger) to left. Definitely enough slope I need to level while moving slide.
While I have a canvas cover for rig, it's too much for wife and I to safely maneuver on and off. I don't think first owners ever used it either. No covered port available at this time. I keep it on 120v shore power every other week to keep batteries charged.

Think I'll probably wind up "splitting the difference" - keep things buttoned up most of the time, and level with slide out when there's a reasonable chance of getting any pre-season chores done. While I have it all closed up, will probably take it for a few spins around the block periodically to keep the tires round.

Will definitely take the opportunity to lube the jacks as Bob recommended. Would silicone be recommended for that application, or something else?