Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2020, 08:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: Idaho
THOR #18218
Outlet above sink not working

My 2003 Thor MH has an outlet above the sink. While plugged into shore power and shortly after unplugging and running the generator it quits working. I've checked all circuit breakers, fuses, etc. and all are ok. I've checked the wiring on the outlet and it is ok. I thought there might be a remote GFI but if so it wouldn't come back on unless I reset it. All outlets on the same side are working. Once I plug back into shore power it works again!

Any ideas of where else to look or what might be causing the problem?

Old 03-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I am taking a big stab in the dark on this. My first guess would be that the outlet is also tied into the invertor, if you have one. If you do make sure your invertor is turned on. If you do not have an invertor, from what you have stated I have nothing.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang Froid View Post
My 2003 Thor MH has an outlet above the sink. While plugged into shore power and shortly after unplugging and running the generator it quits working. I've checked all circuit breakers, fuses, etc. and all are ok. I've checked the wiring on the outlet and it is ok. I thought there might be a remote GFI but if so it wouldn't come back on unless I reset it. All outlets on the same side are working. Once I plug back into shore power it works again!

Any ideas of where else to look or what might be causing the problem?
You do not mention what model 2003 Thor MH you have. Does it have an inverter installed? I agree with another poster that from your description it sounds like there is an inverter installed and that outlet is not on the inverter circuit. When inverters are installed in Rvs not all circuits are wired into the inverter. The normal circuits for use with an inverter are the refrigerator, televisions and possibly DVD players. Some newer units with larger inverters may include the Microwave and outlets by the bed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:33 AM   #4

THOR #18218

Thanks for the responses. I went through the owner's manual and I do not have an inverter. It has a Fortron Power, Inc., SRV Series Power Converter. I can't determine the model # because of its location under the bed but I am guessing a Model 32(?). It has a LYGHT Power System Automatic Transfer Switch.

However, I got into town and plugged into my cousin's outdoor outlet and this time the outlet is NOT working when plugged in!? So that may change some of the answers but still not sure what it is.

Mike
Old 03-05-2020, 03:52 AM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I went through the owner's manual and I do not have an inverter. It has a Fortron Power, Inc., SRV Series Power Converter. I can't determine the model # because of its location under the bed but I am guessing a Model 32(?). It has a LYGHT Power System Automatic Transfer Switch.

However, I got into town and plugged into my cousin's outdoor outlet and this time the outlet is NOT working when plugged in!? So that may change some of the answers but still not sure what it is.

Mike
Do you have power in other parts of the trailer at your couions house????????
Old 03-05-2020, 04:39 AM   #6

THOR #18218
Yes, all other outlets are hot. I noticed though, that the driver's side only has two outlets one in the back bedroom and the one above the sink. The passenger side has six outlets on the passenger side.

That tells me I need to look where the wire takes off for the sink outlet. The driver's side also has the refrigerator (propane & electric), the microwave and the heating system fan. All those work so where would the outlet take off from?

Tomorrow's project.

goodnight

Mike
Old 03-05-2020, 04:53 AM   #7

THOR #15553
Quote:
Yes, all other outlets are hot. I noticed though, that the driver's side only has two outlets one in the back bedroom and the one above the sink. The passenger side has six outlets on the passenger side.

That tells me I need to look where the wire takes off for the sink outlet. The driver's side also has the refrigerator (propane & electric), the microwave and the heating system fan. All those work so where would the outlet take off from?

Tomorrow's project.

goodnight

Mike
The heating fans is usually 12 volts unless this is some new system. Not 120 volts and definitely not on the GFI circuit.. As I told you on the other Forum the outlet giving you trouble is on a GFI circuit. All outlets within 6' of a water source are on GFI. All outside outlets and All ground level storage areas. You need to call an electrician to help you. You do not have enough knowledge of electricity to do this on your own. You need some signal tracing equipment.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #8

THOR #15553
Since you have changed the story, have you removed the outlet and looked for any loose connections? May have absolutely no connection with where you are plugged in as it did before.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #9

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Look for gfci in bathroom
Old 03-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #10

THOR #18218

Thanks, Cavie,

I agree with you. I don't have enough experience to do this myself. However, if it is on a GFI, why would they hide the switch to flip it back on? I'll check outside storage areas and outlets also.

Also, the outlet was the first thing I checked and all connections were solid.

I'm waiting to hear from Thor tech support. I may call them this morning.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Mike
Old 03-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #11

THOR #18218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Look for gfci in bathroom
That is the first thing I checked Hugh. I have two things plugged into the bathroom GFI outlet and both are working, so it is not that.

Mike
Old 03-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #12

THOR #15553
Quote:
Thanks, Cavie,

I agree with you. I don't have enough experience to do this myself. However, if it is on a GFI, why would they hide the switch to flip it back on? I'll check outside storage areas and outlets also.

Also, the outlet was the first thing I checked and all connections were solid.

I'm waiting to hear from Thor tech support. I may call them this morning.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Mike
If it was a GFI you would have at least 3 more outlets not working someplace. The fact that is was working and not working then working tells me it is a not a tripped GFI but a bad connection. It is a GFI circuit but not a tripping GFI. That is why you need an electrician.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #13

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Gfi in bathroom controls them all inside. You can’t have two gfi on same circuit won’t work. I’m with you loose or broken wire if all his facts are correct. Retired electrician 46 years
Old 03-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #14

THOR #18218
Kitchen outlet is working!

OK, everyone. Problem solved. It turns out Cavie was right. I got a hold of Thor tech and they had a wiring diagram for a 2005 model (mine is 2003) but it was close enough to mine that the tech determined the wiring. The panel switch for the GFI runs to the GFI in the bathroom, and then just outside to the outside outlet and then all the way across to the kitchen outlet.

I checked the outside outlet and one of the black wires was pulled slightly out of the push-in hole which may account for the intermittent connection. I'm guessing the generator vibration probably caused it to slide in and out enough to affect the kitchen outlet. It looked like it might have sparked some in there.

I pushed it back in and the kitchen outlet has power! Now, I'm going to either leave it alone and if it slides out again I'll attach it to the side screw or get a new outlet.

Any recommendations on what to seal the outside edge of the cover?

Thanks for all the help.

Mike
Old 03-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #15

THOR #15553
Quote:
OK, everyone. Problem solved. It turns out Cavie was right. I got a hold of Thor tech and they had a wiring diagram for a 2005 model (mine is 2003) but it was close enough to mine that the tech determined the wiring. The panel switch for the GFI runs to the GFI in the bathroom, and then just outside to the outside outlet and then all the way across to the kitchen outlet.

I checked the outside outlet and one of the black wires was pulled slightly out of the push-in hole which may account for the intermittent connection. I'm guessing the generator vibration probably caused it to slide in and out enough to affect the kitchen outlet. It looked like it might have sparked some in there.

I pushed it back in and the kitchen outlet has power! Now, I'm going to either leave it alone and if it slides out again I'll attach it to the side screw or get a new outlet.

Any recommendations on what to seal the outside edge of the cover?

Thanks for all the help.

Mike
Small amount of caulking across the top and down the sides before you put it back on so it is under the cover. Leave the bottom open. Dap Tub and Tile Caulk will work fine. Or new cover with new gasket.