Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwild View Post
The first outlet in the kitchen basically is like a mini junction box and has three connectors there going out. This could be a bad outlet but will have to try and find a new one. Not sure local box store will have these
Looking at your floor plan I find it hard to believe there is only 1 GFCI control outlet. My guess is there is one in the bathroom that also controls the outside outlet and maybe the fridge. I would think there would be another one on the other side of the coach that controls the "kitchen" outlets near the sink. It may be on one of the kick panels in the dinette or maybe even outside in a storage bay.

You say you have only one - where is that one located?

How do you know which outlets are controlled by that GFCI outlet? Have you run continuity checks between the "bad" outlets and the GFCI outlet (with no power applied, of course)?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:28 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Ted, just an FYI... My last coach (a Coachmen) and my present one (Thor 30 footer) each only had one GFCI outlet in the bathroom, and they controlled some outlets on both sides of the coach, as well as the exterior outlet on the curb side. Even my previous 35' fifth wheel only had one.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #23

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Loose connection to the outlet(s). I assume since the GFCI outlet was replaced that is not the problem there. I assume the GFCI outlet is working?

If so, time to pull each of the downstream outlets and check the wire connections. RV manufacturers use cheap "pinch and cut insulation" type connectors as they are easy and quick to install, but are susceptible to losing connection in a moving vehicle.

Going down to your bigbox hardware store and buying a 10 pack of their cheapest duplex outlets would be a big upgrade.
Before the electricians start in....
The RV versions are designed to be finger safe, in other words when you mount it, it is completely encased with plastic so nothing external can touch a live wire or part. Electrocution avoidance.
The household versions are NOT finger safe in the back and/or side so you will need to add some form of box around each one. I have seen people wrap these with lots of tape to prevent touching but I don't trust tape only for that chore. Even if you bury them in the cabinet the exposed live parts could touch something (loose fasteners) then more problems.

Us old guys always 'tune for no smoke'
Old 02-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #24

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
only 1 bath. 1 gfi breaker that I'm aware of. the gfi outlet works. We have a hurricane 34j and not aware of 2nd outlet. We had more than we probably should have plugged in. frustrating
Do you have a GFI outlet and a GFI breaker??
Old 02-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #25
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Ted, just an FYI... My last coach (a Coachmen) and my present one (Thor 30 footer) each only had one GFCI outlet in the bathroom, and they controlled some outlets on both sides of the coach, as well as the exterior outlet on the curb side. Even my previous 35' fifth wheel only had one.
And I've had multiple RVs under 30' with 2 GFCI breakers. Not to mention the numerous posters that come here with outlets not working saying they have reset their one and only GFCI outlet but when it's all said and done they come back and report they found the second GFCI outlet, reset it, and everything is working again.

I just think it's easier for the OP to go back and take another look around for another GFCI outlet before they start tearing apart all the other outlets, especially since we don't know which GFCI outlet the OP found, what their actual electrical skills are or even if that know how to use a multimeter.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #26

State: Illinois
THOR #16357
Gfi

I have a Thor 45lt. Been fighting this gfi problem for a week now and just figured it out. It would keep kicking out. I eliminated 4 of the 5 gfi outlets one at a time and it still kept kicking out. So a couple days later I went to use the plug in under the coach and saw it also was gfi protected by the switch up in our half bath. Well I proceeded to disconnect it and see if it still cut out. And when I took the receptacle apart to unhook the wires water dripped out of it. BINGO!! You can’t have water in an electrical outlet. Opened the compartment behind the receptacle and dug in to it and found the 12 volt water pump was right above that gfi receptacle. At the input of the pump was a drip coming off a one inch by two inch mechanism that I’m not sure what it does but turned it clockwise an eighth of a turn and guess what no more problems with my gfi !! I silicones the top of the electrical box to avoid this ever again I hope. Phone 815-275-5700. Steve
Old 02-24-2021, 07:09 PM   #27

State: Georgia
THOR #5083
Quote:
on travel and we have hurricane 34J . Our Kitchen outlets, Outlets under the Kitchen table not working. We reset the GFCI and that outlet works, We turned off the Breaker and it's on.. any other things to look at?
Drivers side bay reset the Inverter
Old 02-24-2021, 07:18 PM   #28

State: Massachusetts
THOR #19390
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
2cd bath if you have one, kitchen / galley area

Basement
Check the wires connect on the electrical box at the bottom of the kitchen drawer.

Remove the drawer first.

We had a similar issue with ours and there was a loose wire.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:29 PM   #29

State: Utah
THOR #10578
I had a similar issue, and it turned out to be a loose wire connection with my outdoor plugs on the side of the RV. Tightened it all up there, and never had any further dead zone issues. For what it is worth.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #30

Model: ace 29.4
State: Ontario
THOR #297
outlets not working

When we got ours the kitchen outlets did not work as well in our Ace 29.3 found under stove there is a junction box found the screw connectors were not tight checked them all guess electrician did not own a screwdriver. if you are nimble you can use a mirror if not you have to lift the stove. do not try with power on both shore and batteries
Old 02-25-2021, 03:55 AM   #31

Model: 23TB
THOR #9509
Quote:
on travel and we have hurricane 34J . Our Kitchen outlets, Outlets under the Kitchen table not working. We reset the GFCI and that outlet works, We turned off the Breaker and it's on.. any other things to look at?
You may have more than one GFCI unit, controlling different circuits. Just because the outlet is under the kitchen table doesn’t necessarily mean that the kitchen counter GFCI is on that same circuit. Find ALL of your GFCI plugs or breakers and reset all of them.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:28 PM   #32

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Didn't read every post, are the outlets working now?
Old 02-26-2021, 07:21 PM   #33

State: Alabama
THOR #10196
Just had an RV electrician come by as we are out of town. Searched but could not find the problem. Feels there is an open some where but unable to resolve. I will take when home to my local guy who works on Thor often and will post what they locate, Hopefully. Electrician also felt there were a few outlets not tied into the Breakers. That seems really odd and dangerous!
Old 02-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #34
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Just had an RV electrician come by as we are out of town. Searched but could not find the problem. Feels there is an open some where but unable to resolve. I will take when home to my local guy who works on Thor often and will post what they locate, Hopefully. Electrician also felt there were a few outlets not tied into the Breakers. That seems really odd and dangerous!
Wow! Not much of an electrician.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:32 PM   #35

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
As already noted, you most likely have another GFCI
Quote:
Old 03-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #36

State: Alabama
THOR #10196
Just got fixed and they said it was an outside outlet that was the culprit. Water must have gotten in there. Fixed and all works now. On to the next problem!
Old 03-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #37

THOR #16357
Yeah they put that water pump right above an outlet underneath the motorhome in the basement. So with a little leak in the water pump it shorted out the outlet GFCI‘s. Fix the water leak and silicone in the top of the outlet box. Good to go now do you if I does not kick out
Old 03-16-2021, 02:36 PM   #38

THOR #16357
Call Door in Elkhart Indiana to replace carpet inside Motorhome and do a few other small jobs they are backed up a month and a half