Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2024, 08:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Outside Sink

I have a 2018 Hurricane 29M. It has an outside sink that uses a pump to evacuate the bowl and feed the waste into one of the tanks. Which tank, I don't know and don't care, right now at least. It has been backing up and not pumping out well. I took the waterless trap and the pipe to the pump out, cleaned out the smutz and put it back together. It worked for a while but now is intermittent. The pump runs but does not always drain the bowl. My question is does the collapsible sleeve in the waterless trap wear out causing the pump to loose its prime?

Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 10:02 PM   #2

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
On my 2015 29.3 the outdoor kitchen drains to the grey tank.. i try to only wash my hands out there ... i have not had to replace the trap but i have a extra on hand ....you can get them on amazon.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:53 AM   #3

THOR #11781
Should have known the jungle site would have them.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:35 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Should have known the jungle site would have them.
If you find one in the jungle, post the link. I would love to see. I have same config setup as you but different Mfg. Mine actually pumps to the black tank which we like, it is closer and has it own separate port hole to the black tank.

Last year I replaced the momentary switch, because we use it quite a bit. My wife uses it to clean all of the grilling stuff that she does not want to bring back into the RV.

I never thought about it getting clogged or something. I may need this part for future. But right now, that Shurflo pumps pretty fast as we can have both faucets wide open and the pumps keeps up. In fact, I now use it to drain the fresh water tank into the black tank to help clean the black tank or make the dump of the black easier.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 04:27 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I have a 2018 Hurricane 29M. It has an outside sink that uses a pump to evacuate the bowl and feed the waste into one of the tanks. Which tank, I don't know and don't care, right now at least. It has been backing up and not pumping out well. I took the waterless trap and the pipe to the pump out, cleaned out the smutz and put it back together. It worked for a while but now is intermittent. The pump runs but does not always drain the bowl. My question is does the collapsible sleeve in the waterless trap wear out causing the pump to loose its prime?
If Iím not mistaken the outdoor kitchen has a macerator which doesnít require a prime. Thatís what we had on our Challenger 37ND.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:40 AM   #6

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
If Iím not mistaken the outdoor kitchen has a macerator which doesnít require a prime. Thatís what we had on our Challenger 37ND.
If it is a macerator pump then he made need to rebuild the pump. We used a macerator pump for 14 years and I rebuilt it at least three times. They also get hair wound around the macerator blades and the only way to get it out is to take the pump apart and cut it out. The pump action is created by a rubber impeller that turns in a non-circular chamber. The rubber impellers wear out over time and sometimes get damaged by hard debris that may go thru the pump. A rebuild kit with have a new impeller.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:21 PM   #7

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
https://www.amazon.com/Waterless-Sea...I_vPD_BwE&th=1
Old 02-23-2024, 04:56 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #31897
Looking forward to an after-action report.

The '18 Windsport 29M I'm in the process of buying had this issue flagged by the inspector and the selling dealer is supposed to fix it. Have to see what they do.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:56 PM   #9

THOR #11781
The pump runs and at times sucks everything down fine. I'm beginning to think its the stopper built into the sink bowl. Hitting the road for a short trip and plan to work on it when I get home in March. I plan on taking the stopper out and replacing it with a regular drain stub. I only use the outside sink to clean up the grill tools and my golf clubs.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:12 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
This is where I have to be careful on the forum with my SOB. I don't have a P Trap like that on my outside sink. That is why I was curious to see what was being referred to as a Trap

I do have a recessed strainer in the sink that cleans out any debris to prevent particles from getting into the line, much like the strainer that is part of the shurflo pump itself. No macerator on my outside sink.

Something this makes me think about though. My plumbing to that outside sink is to black tank and given there is no P Trap, apparently no need because you can't smell anything from the outside sink. Maybe that 360 Siphon on the black tank keeps that from ever becoming an issue.

Thanks for the link
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:27 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
The pump runs and at times sucks everything down fine. I'm beginning to think its the stopper built into the sink bowl. Hitting the road for a short trip and plan to work on it when I get home in March. I plan on taking the stopper out and replacing it with a regular drain stub. I only use the outside sink to clean up the grill tools and my golf clubs.
Actually, the Drain stopper on my ACE does nothing to stop the water flow. Basically, when I put water into the drain it is the pump that prevents water draining from the sink. I need to investigate why the stopper does not stop the sink up.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:41 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Actually, the Drain stopper on my ACE does nothing to stop the water flow. Basically, when I put water into the drain it is the pump that prevents water draining from the sink. I need to investigate why the stopper does not stop the sink up.
Because it is not a "stopper" except in one direction. It's basically the same device that's in the shower in RVs where there isn't enough room for a true trap.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote