Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2022, 07:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: England
THOR #26111
Lippert hydraulic levelling

My windsport 29m levels ok but when I retract the rams the motor runs on and on for a few minutes . I can see all rams are fully retracted but when I go to drive off, the alarm sounds. I have to extend and retract the rams a couple more times before the display panel accepts that the rams are fully up. I am suspecting a faulty pressure sensor. Has any body else had the same issue

Thanks
Lee

Old 10-21-2022, 09:29 AM   #2

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leejh View Post
My windsport 29m levels ok but when I retract the rams the motor runs on and on for a few minutes . I can see all rams are fully retracted but when I go to drive off, the alarm sounds. I have to extend and retract the rams a couple more times before the display panel accepts that the rams are fully up. I am suspecting a faulty pressure sensor. Has any body else had the same issue

Thanks
Lee
Check the fluid level in the tank. Some systems sense the jacks are up by a float in the tank that detects the rise of fluid as the jacks retract. You must check the level with the jacks retracted.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:40 AM   #3

THOR #26111
Thanks Bob
The fluid is full and I cannot see a float or sender unit attached to the tank. I have researched it and have found out that when the rams are fully retracted the pump continues to operate and creates a high pressure in the manifold which is detected by the pressure sensor which in turn signals the control box to confirm the rams are up. I therefore was thinking that the sensor may be faulty.
Very interesting about the float in the reservoir though
Thank you
Lee
Old 10-21-2022, 10:40 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
It could be a faulty sensor, that would be a relatively easy fix. It could also be a leak. External leaks are pretty easy to find, just look for hydraulic fluid. Leaks can also be internal, much harder to find. When up on the jacks for a while does one jack settle faster than the others? That would be a possible sign of an internal cylinder seal leak. The control valve could also leak internally, causing a loss of pressure in a circuit.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:23 PM   #5

THOR #26111
Great suggestions thankyou,
The rams don’t creep and there is no sign of leakage. I am definitely edging on the side of a faulty pressure sensor .
It is a bit tricky finding one in the UK but I will source one if need be

Lee
Old 10-21-2022, 12:56 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I don’t know what a new sensor would cost where you are, but you can get a new 5000 psi pressure gauge on Amazon for $12.97 over here. You could just tee in a gauge and then you would know what the actual line pressure is at the sensor, and also have an idea of leak down rate, if any.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #7

THOR #26111
That’s a great idea. I think I will get a cheaper sensor and try that. The pressure sensors that lippert offer are about $190 . Which is a bit too pricey for a hunch

Thank you my friend
Old 10-29-2022, 09:08 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leejh View Post

Thanks
Lee
I had similar issues with my 2018 Windsport 29m. Ended up insurance replacing the entire pump because there was a faulty control valve which made the pump come on and off all the time. Eventually burned up the motor. See if any of your jacks drop down over a week or so or have a qualified service tech check the 4 control valves on the top of the pump. Don't let it go cause it may ruin the motor like it did mine!!! Bob Trice
Old 10-29-2022, 09:09 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
It could be a faulty sensor, that would be a relatively easy fix. It could also be a leak. External leaks are pretty easy to find, just look for hydraulic fluid. Leaks can also be internal, much harder to find. When up on the jacks for a while does one jack settle faster than the others? That would be a possible sign of an internal cylinder seal leak. The control valve could also leak internally, causing a loss of pressure in a circuit.
Yeah, what he said too!!!!!
Old 10-29-2022, 11:50 PM   #10

Model: ACE 27.1
State: New Mexico
THOR #5342
I had a similar issue with my 2014 ACE. Replacing the pressure sensor fixed it. Cost was $118.65 in September 2021 from Amazon.
Old 10-30-2022, 12:02 AM   #11

Model: ACE 27.1
State: New Mexico
THOR #5342
If I remember right, you can just short out the pressure sensor when the jacks are up and the motor won't shut off. That will tell you if the pressure sensor is not closing. Do NOT leave it shorted as a solution; just troubleshooting.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:05 AM   #12

Brand: Entegra
Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
You can buy the pressure switch on Amazon for 100 there is a way to ck it with a multi meter. If it does shut off I doubt that’s your problem. Mine never drifted down but pump was leaking internally LCI does not sell pump alone comes as assembley around 2,500. LCI does have a tech phone number and they will assist with troubleshooting if you have a multi meter
Old 11-04-2022, 04:51 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Ohio
THOR #23681
What is the part number please. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #14

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
What is the part number please. Thank you.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1