Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2022, 06:19 PM   #21
Tta

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #26628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Wow..... you got lucky! I think you made the right decision given the train wreck you uncovered.
I am a newb… and am not against some work… but the dealer said he would make any issues “right” and after two weeks has near zero progress. So yeah… pretty easy decision. I am also quite shocked we got the refund. But we are in a small area and obviously he wants to keep his rep. Hats off.

I think this year we will tent with the kids. ��

The weather is suddenly great so i am sure he figures he can dry it out, redo the front, seal it up a bit and maybe sell it for even more.

My take: it wont be easy drying out that fibreglass/wood/styrofoam/wood/vinyl sandwich without a massive teardown. That vinyl hid a shocking amount of moisture. And likely a new roof. And fixing/diagnosing the ac/heat unit.

Maybe it all works out for him… but behind a decent appearance… that was a pretty wet rv. Even if time allows it to dry out… i am not sure i would trust some of that wood structure. A few of the screws i tested broke from rust.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:08 AM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tta View Post

The weather is suddenly great so i am sure he figures he can dry it out, redo the front, seal it up a bit and maybe sell it for even more.

My take: it wont be easy drying out that fibreglass/wood/styrofoam/wood/vinyl sandwich without a massive teardown. That vinyl hid a shocking amount of moisture. And likely a new roof. And fixing/diagnosing the ac/heat unit.

Maybe it all works out for him… but behind a decent appearance… that was a pretty wet rv. Even if time allows it to dry out… i am not sure i would trust some of that wood structure. A few of the screws i tested broke from rust.

If it was as wet as you said for any length of time, there is no way just letting it dry out is going to solve all the problems that are well underway to getting worse.

You made a good call and are lucky you dealt with someone reputable that gave you a full refund. That coach is going to be a massive money pit if it is not torn apart and fixed right from the start before someone else buys it.

Look at it this way.... if it rains and you get wet tent camping with the kids, that is better than getting wet inside that coach when it starts raining.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:21 AM   #23

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Sounds like ya dodged the bullet and are educated in what to look for in used RVs. Hopefully a nubie will read your posts and everybody wins...except the dealer that is. Chances are he knew some of the issues pre sale. Glad he made it right you.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:17 PM   #24
Tta

State: Nova Scotia
THOR #26628
Lucky yes. Classic “i want this to work out” and too busy to do the homework on how to do a proper self inspection. The actual inspection actually missed it all.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:23 AM   #25

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Don't beat youself up too bad as it happens. I too missed the telltale signs of water damage and oddly enough I discovered my roof problems when I went to grab a tissue from a box next the galley window only to find the entire box soaked aftef a recent rain. I assumed it was the window at first but later found a small slit on the roof with water seeping down the inner wall to the window. Same happened in the bedroom.
I now know to go over the roof with care twice a year. Lesson learned here. Now you'll know what to look for next time. Best of luck to ya.