Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2018, 01:36 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #5887
overhead bed 2016 Axis

We have a noise coming from the passenger side in the overhead bed. It happens when we hit a bump or cross railroad tracks. We thought it was the sliding gears that let it go up and down or the cover for the gears that come down the wall. Took it to a repair shop yesterday to have it looked at(not Camping World). The owner said the gear was wore out. We have only let the bed down once last year for use. How could it be worn out? Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Really appreciate the Forum. Wondering if our Axis is a lemon. Mrs. DonnieB

Old 09-06-2018, 01:41 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #7903
We have a Thor windsport 32’ with an upper bunk. We have had more trouble with that darn bed then I bargained for. The bed has had to be realigned at the RV dealer because it was going up sideways because one end of the end did not want to move. We use it often, and it still gives us problems from time to time. Hope yours gets better
Old 09-06-2018, 02:23 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Mine makes a clicking sound when I hit a bump on the drivers side. I determined it was the magnet that latched to the metal clip. it doesn't mate tight on the metal clip so it will click from time-to-time. it's kinda loud.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:24 AM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieB View Post
We have a noise coming from the passenger side in the overhead bed. It happens when we hit a bump or cross railroad tracks. We thought it was the sliding gears that let it go up and down or the cover for the gears that come down the wall. Took it to a repair shop yesterday to have it looked at(not Camping World). The owner said the gear was wore out. We have only let the bed down once last year for use. How could it be worn out? Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Really appreciate the Forum. Wondering if our Axis is a lemon. Mrs. DonnieB
Call me skeptical, but I don't believe that it is worn out with the usage you described. I would keep looking. Do you have the bed run up all the way against the ceiling or is there a little space between the top of the bed and the ceiling?
Old 09-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #5

THOR #5887
It is at the repair shop but we believe it was run up all the way when we heard the noise. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:05 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Our overhead bed has a rattle that comes and goes. Like yours, it happens when we hit a bump. This one isn't a clicking sound, definitely not a gear. It sounds like a power cable to the LED light is loose inside. It's on my list, stuff the void there with something to stop the rattle for good.

Hope you get this annoyance solved!
Old 09-11-2018, 12:21 AM   #7

THOR #5887
Thanks for all the responses. The repairman said it was the bed slipping down as we travelled in the motorhome. He raised it up and lowered it on the pins as had been suggest in other posts. The clerk that had answered the phone relayed the message wrong. The gears were not worn out. YEAH!!!! We will keep check on it.