Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
There is no excuse for that shoddy work. We have never used our front bed and never will, but I suppose it could still fall apart. One of the brackets that holds the fiberglass nose of the RV to the frame is not connected. What is wrong at that factory?

Old 09-23-2020, 12:28 AM   #22

Model: Windsport 32n
State: Ohio
THOR #19223
Overhead bunk

Click image for larger version

Name:	FD918447-F102-41AC-BFE9-2FF6E7729957.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	26251

My bunk problem is at the other end of the cable. The Steel slot that holds the cable end tore loose. I have a call in to Thor for advisement. The steel is part of the corner of the bed where the motor. Mounted.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:54 PM   #23

Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3558
I'll start another thread also, but my question here is.......has anyone attempted to replace the motors and tracks?

Mine are pretty buggered up from getting misaligned and now slip to the point that it is unusable. I want to fix it but wondering how hard the job might be.

Contacted Lippert and you have to buy the whole kit and can't just get new tracks.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #24

State: Texas
THOR #13374
schwinteK overhead problem for Axis 2014 14 24.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea37ts View Post
if the overhead bunk has the electric schwintek motors you might try the same synchronization/timing procedure we do with the schwintek slides.

Here is a link to a video which explains the procedure

this video no longer available. My overhead is never coming all the way up on drivers side.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane
State: Virginia
THOR #11117
I had a similar problem. My bed dropped on one side. What a mess. Good Sam phone support helped me immediately. Adding photos to show problem. Temp fix was to get the bed back up and pins back in so I could drive. Used a 2x4 from Lowes, cut to 57inches to lock in driver side, then lowered system to make entire bed level; then, pushed on drive side while motors raised bed to top position and put in the pins quickly. Still have to find a repair shop. But at least I could drive home. GOOD SAM really helped. They answered the phone quickly, called back, send a photo or two, and were very valuable in this process. Now, how to get the parts and get it repaired, SOON....

Dave in Chester, VA.

Sorry for the sideways photos.... Couldn't figure out how to turn them the correct way.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	The Problem.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	30580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lippert Bed Control Module.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	30581  

Name:	Aluminum Track Driver Side.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	30582   Click image for larger version

Name:	View from Top Down Driver Side.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	30583  

Name:	Good Track Area.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	30584  
Old 05-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #26

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
from 110,000 miles of 'experience' in our 33.3 Palazzo:

lower the bed all the way down, at least as far as it will go - the fans will NOT impact the dash. if the bed does not go all the way down, as it probably won't, then go back UP as far as you can. KEEP doing this back and forth, back and forth, which gives the rails and gears a chance to 'resync'. Now, you CAN try to also push UP on the side that is lower than the other while you are raising it, or with someone's help.
EVENTUALLY, the two rails and gears should be back in alignment where the bed will go all the down, together, and all the way up, together. When it does, reinstall the PINS - that's what they are there for.
Gravity is ALWAYS at work on a let-down bunk. The Pins have to be there to keep the two sides from moving, usually NOT together.

Early on, we realized that having the bed ALL THE WAY UP was not really efficient, since we could easily put a regular full or queen mattress up there for one of the boys, AND it would provide the ability to keep personal items up there ALL THE TIME if the bed was not all the way to the ceiling. How? Simple. Just add some 'new' pin holes at at lower place, such as 12" below the original ones.
I also purchased more 'substantial' pins, with handles, from a Tractor Supply store, which has an amazing assortment of this sort of thing.

Now, the bed stays about 12" from the ceiling, the mattress and personal items are quite content with the new 'space', and the bed is not low enough to impact anything to do with driving.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:10 PM   #27

THOR #13374
overhead uneven

Wow, great idea. Thanks. j
Old 05-17-2021, 09:17 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
this video no longer available. My overhead is never coming all the way up on drivers side.
Just to note - there are two different overhead bed designs in class A coaches. The ones used on the Axis/Vegas and ACE with the bunk rated at 250 lbs is different from all other Thor coaches. The more expensive coaches use a Schwintek overhead bunk system using cable and track system and is rated at 500 lbs.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:06 AM   #29

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Just to note - there are two different overhead bed designs in class A coaches. The ones used on the Axis/Vegas and ACE with the bunk rated at 250 lbs is different from all other Thor coaches. The more expensive coaches use a Schwintek overhead bunk system using cable and track system and is rated at 500 lbs.

Our 2016 Vegas bed is rated at 500lbs and has the track and cable system...
Old 05-18-2021, 04:04 AM   #30

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
My ‘17 Vegas has the rack & cable system
Not sure what it’s rated
Old 05-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #31

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMerritt View Post
I had a similar problem. My bed dropped on one side. What a mess. Good Sam phone support helped me immediately. Adding photos to show problem. Temp fix was to get the bed back up and pins back in so I could drive. Used a 2x4 from Lowes, cut to 57inches to lock in driver side, then lowered system to make entire bed level; then, pushed on drive side while motors raised bed to top position and put in the pins quickly. Still have to find a repair shop. But at least I could drive home. GOOD SAM really helped. They answered the phone quickly, called back, send a photo or two, and were very valuable in this process. Now, how to get the parts and get it repaired, SOON....
I was in the same situation while boondocking last summer in a very remote location, difference was the bed was at the bottom not the top. It was misaligned and on the way down, it literally pulled away from the track and dropped to the stop. It took all I had to lift it up and look it in place. We doubled up on the jackknife until we got home.

The fix was a replacement of the track and motor mechanism on the left side. I finally got benefit from an extended warrantee. Not something I typically buy but I purchased for the MH to satisfy my wife's concerns.

We always keep the pins in when the bed is up - moving or not. Also, the switch remains pushed from a couple of seconds after the bed is lowered or raised, to assure syncing of the motors.

You can bet that now my head is on a swivel when moving it up or down to verify nothing is misaligned, even slightly.

Good luck with your repair and please report back for the groups benefit.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:38 AM   #32

Model: Challenger 37FH
State: Florida
THOR #20111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
from 110,000 miles of 'experience' in our 33.3 Palazzo:

lower the bed all the way down, at least as far as it will go - the fans will NOT impact the dash. if the bed does not go all the way down, as it probably won't, then go back UP as far as you can. KEEP doing this back and forth, back and forth, which gives the rails and gears a chance to 'resync'. Now, you CAN try to also push UP on the side that is lower than the other while you are raising it, or with someone's help.
EVENTUALLY, the two rails and gears should be back in alignment where the bed will go all the down, together, and all the way up, together. When it does, reinstall the PINS - that's what they are there for.
Gravity is ALWAYS at work on a let-down bunk. The Pins have to be there to keep the two sides from moving, usually NOT together.

Early on, we realized that having the bed ALL THE WAY UP was not really efficient, since we could easily put a regular full or queen mattress up there for one of the boys, AND it would provide the ability to keep personal items up there ALL THE TIME if the bed was not all the way to the ceiling. How? Simple. Just add some 'new' pin holes at at lower place, such as 12" below the original ones.
I also purchased more 'substantial' pins, with handles, from a Tractor Supply store, which has an amazing assortment of this sort of thing.

Now, the bed stays about 12" from the ceiling, the mattress and personal items are quite content with the new 'space', and the bed is not low enough to impact anything to do with driving.
Do you have any pictures of the pins you purchased?