Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2015, 02:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #2640
Overhead bed adjustment

Just returned from a 3500 mile trip. Found that my overhead bed in my Palazzo 33.3 has slipped down on the drivers side about 3 inches. Does anyone know how to adjust it back to normal? I haven't been able to find any directions.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If the overhead bunk has the electric schwintek motors you might try the same synchronization/timing procedure we do with the Schwintek slides.

Here is a link to a video which explains the procedure

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:27 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Do you have locking pins to keep the bed in place so it can't drop.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
The overhead bunk was the one biggest warranty repair I had performed on my Thor.

They ended up having to replace the entire track and motors on both sides of my bunk. The aluminum tracks were very chewed up, and the pinion gear shattered on the right side.

All due to being out of sync by a few inches, just like you described.

The only remedy is to re-sync the motors. Drop the bunk down completely. Hold the switch down for two-three seconds after it reaches the bottom, (and hopefully both motors take it all the way down). Then, raise the bunk all the way to the top, without stopping or pausing, until it's at the top, and hold the switch for two-three seconds.

That's it. If it works, it's re-synced.

The trick to avoiding motor sync issues is to NEVER partially lower or raise the bunk, ever. Only take it all the way in each direction, and then hold the switch to sync the motors.

And, always make sure the lock pins are in place before moving the coach.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:33 AM   #5

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Mine did this two weeks ago. I took the other side pin out and lowered it fully down - when the down side hit the metal stop the other (high) side continued till it was level ....... then I simply raised it up and replaced both pins. now I check the pins prior to every trip!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:34 AM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
The overhead bunk was the one biggest warranty repair I had performed on my Thor.

They ended up having to replace the entire track and motors on both sides of my bunk. The aluminum tracks were very chewed up, and the pinion gear shattered on the right side.

The only remedy is to re-sync the motors. Drop the bunk down completely. Hold the switch down for two-three seconds after it reaches the bottom, (and hopefully both motors take it all the way down). Then, raise the bunk all the way to the top, without stopping or pausing, until it's at the top, and hold the switch for two-three seconds.

The trick to avoiding motor sync issues is to NEVER partially lower or raise the bunk, ever. Only take it all the way in each direction, and then hold the switch to sync the motors.

Beacher,

that is what I have been doing with my full length slide in hopes it will never break (I know right - I can dream!)

Darren
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

Model: Challenger
State: New Jersey
THOR #7108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post

Ours is 4-6" lower on drivers side after completing 1000 of an 1100 mi trip . The driver side pin slipped out while en route. We can't get it to reset. When we try to lower all the way, the driver's side hang down fan gets in the way of the dash I'm afraid if we keep holding the lower button, we'll smash up the fan.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I was having the same issue. When I was at the service center, they resynced the motors. Most importantly when preparing the bed for travel, they recommend raising the bunk and lowering down onto the pins. This will ensure it doesn't slip on the tracks and keep the pins in place. Another 2400 miles and no issues.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #9

Model: Challenger
State: New Jersey
THOR #7108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I was having the same issue. When I was at the service center, they resynced the motors. Most importantly when preparing the bed for travel, they recommend raising the bunk and lowering down onto the pins. This will ensure it doesn't slip on the tracks and keep the pins in place. Another 2400 miles and no issues.

I will take your suggestion that came from the THOR technician, but overall that teeny little pin is a flaw in the design. It seems that THOR chose design and aesthetics over safety because you cannot secure that pin to stay in place before you start driving somewhere.

FYI - We drove the remaining 100 miles home on our 1100 mile vacation with the drop down bed 6 inches lower on one side, parked and leveled the vehicle and after about six tries all the way up and all the way down the Schwinn tech motors finally leveled the bed and it is now in proper position and secure. I do not see how it is not damaged, but will have it looked at when we bring the unit in for some other issues.

Also FYI, we bought our THOR 37 TB challenger right before Christmas 2016, and there were many many things wrong. Camping World OH and THOR were excellent and fixed everything, after we pushed a little hard, and two months later we received it in time for our Easter break vacation. Still some things are not right, but this is to be expected with a moving house that has many working parts to it LOL.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #10

Model: 30.2
State: Wisconsin
THOR #8274
Drop down bed issues

I have a new Thor A.C.E. 30.2 and my overhead electric drop down bed gets stuck on the right side and will only come down a few inches before starting to twist. I read the post about resyncing the motors, but that requires the bed to come all the way down. I think if I try to make it go any farther, it will do more damage. I have a feeling this wont be an easy fix.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
We have never used our overhead bed and don't plan to use it. If it gives us any trouble...out she comes. I suppose resale value with drop because we don't have the dinette bed either.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #12

THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I have a new Thor A.C.E. 30.2 and my overhead electric drop down bed gets stuck on the right side and will only come down a few inches before starting to twist. I read the post about resyncing the motors, but that requires the bed to come all the way down. I think if I try to make it go any farther, it will do more damage. I have a feeling this wont be an easy fix.
Put it all the way up, put the safety pin on the lower side and bring it down a little to level out then you can bring it down to resync.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:37 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Same issue here. Forgot pins once and had to push it up and down just a little a couple times. You can't take it all the way down IMO without fear of breaking it. Just go up and down a little applying pressure up so that you get it to the completely up position then put pins in. After that all the way up and all the way down is best but you have to keep an eye on it, once a broom handle got wedged under and we caught it before it got too bad so we could adjust it. Will definitely do the motor resync trick next time we bring it down as it does always seems a little off.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #14

Model: Challenger LX
State: Nebraska
THOR #6543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Don't forget the manual override using the Mode button on the Schwintec LCI Dual Motor Sync Velocity Bed Controller. This allows you to raise the bed to level it at the ceiling. Hold that "raise" switch a couple second to help sync the motors. Turn the manual override off and than lower the bunk all the way, making sure to hold the switch a couple seconds to sync the motors. Do that 2 seconds hold every time here on out.

Here is a link to the Schwintec Bunk Lift manual.

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...nk-Lift-OM.pdf

God Bless
Old 07-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Don't forget the manual override using the Mode button on the Schwintec LCI Dual Motor Sync Velocity Bed Controller. This allows you to raise the bed to level it at the ceiling. Hold that "raise" switch a couple second to help sync the motors. Turn the manual override off and than lower the bunk all the way, making sure to hold the switch a couple seconds to sync the motors. Do that 2 seconds hold every time here on out.

Here is a link to the Schwintec Bunk Lift manual.

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...nk-Lift-OM.pdf

God Bless
They must have changed something over the last couple of years. My overhead bunk in the 2015 Challenger 37ND uses the same controller as the 3 slides use, and they are not bunk controllers.

My overhead bunk uses the 13398-C2 Slide Controller.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #16

THOR #6543
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
They must have changed something over the last couple of years. My overhead bunk in the 2015 Challenger 37ND uses the same controller as the 3 slides use, and they are not bunk controllers.

My overhead bunk uses the 13398-C2 Slide Controller.

Check out the link...
Old 09-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #17

Model: Venetian 36G
State: Colorado
THOR #12696
Overhead bunk with strap mechanism

Our 2018 Venetian has four straps (seat belt material) that seems to support the bed in place once lowered. One corner of the bed is not level and it would seem the strap would be the answer but can't figure how to make the adjustment. Any ideas out there? Can't seem to find any videos that address the straps. Much appreciated

Lin
Marklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #18

THOR #6543
Look for the manual override using the Mode button on the Schwintec LCI Dual Motor Sync Velocity Bed Controller. Assuming you have these installed.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:42 PM   #19

THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
Ours is 4-6" lower on drivers side after completing 1000 of an 1100 mi trip . The driver side pin slipped out while en route. We can't get it to reset. When we try to lower all the way, the driver's side hang down fan gets in the way of the dash I'm afraid if we keep holding the lower button, we'll smash up the fan.

We had an issue like you are describing with our 2017 Miramar. Our bunk was out of adjustment and would hang down on the drivers side front corner closest to the windshield. When we would lower the bunk all the way down we found that the drivers side fan would make contact with the dash. I did some investigating and found that the the drivers side front pulley and bracket were not welded completely at the factory. This resulted in the pulley and bracket coming loose. I recently had this repaired under warranty. Here are some photos from f what I found...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4351.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	12648Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4347.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	12649Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4348.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	12650Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4354.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	12651Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4350.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	12652Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4379.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	12653

Hopefully our situation was the exception rather than the rule. Check the tension on the cables that are running behind the valance’s on the drivers and passengers side. The cables should be taught and not slack. Here’s a photo of how the bracket should be welded...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4463.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	12654
Old 09-22-2020, 03:37 AM   #20

Model: Windsport 32n
THOR #19223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
We had an issue like you are describing with our 2017 Miramar. Our bunk was out of adjustment and would hang down on the drivers side front corner closest to the windshield. When we would lower the bunk all the way down we found that the drivers side fan would make contact with the dash. I did some investigating and found that the the drivers side front pulley and bracket were not welded completely at the factory. This resulted in the pulley and bracket coming loose. I recently had this repaired under warranty. Here are some photos from f what I found...Attachment 12648Attachment 12649Attachment 12650Attachment 12651Attachment 12652Attachment 12653

Hopefully our situation was the exception rather than the rule. Check the tension on the cables that are running behind the valance’s on the drivers and passengers side. The cables should be taught and not slack. Here’s a photo of how the bracket should be welded...Attachment 12654
My 2015 Windsport has the same symptoms, left front over the driver’s side is hanging low and the steel cable is hanging out. I will be tearing into it tomorrow.