Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Anyone changed a slide motor on a Miramar

I just took my Miramar 35.3 to the dealer to get my dinette slide worked on. They said the back slide motor needed to be replaced but they recommended that I go ahead and replace both motors. I had them replace both and they kept the old motors to give back to me. I'd like to keep the good motor as a spare. I have watched a couple of videos about replacing a schwintek slide motor but none of the videos were of a Miramar. Just curious if anyone had done this replacement on their own and wondering how difficult of a job it is?

Burch

Old 09-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #9209
It can be a pain in the a$$. Depending on the size of the slide out will depend on how difficult it can be. Also if your stuck in the in position. You have to slide the slide back to get at the motor retention screw. This keeps the motor in its place. Other than that it's pretty easy. Pop it out an pop in the new one.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I'm facing that task now with my front slide motor. It's the standard motor but as large as that slide is I would like to replace it with the high-torque motor if I can. Waiting on Lippert to get back to me on that.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #4

THOR #9209
Let me know what they say. Then I'll do the same.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the 'large' slide motors are 500:1, with the smaller slides using 300:1...both look identical.

as for the replacement, it's not really 'hard' labor, it's really just the 'unknown' when you've not done it before. My Palazzo floorplan is probably very close to your Miramar, but floorplans and 'where' each slide is within the coach will determine whether each motor is 'easy' to get to, or not. My rear main slide motor, in the bedroom, is quite easy to get to, while the other three, not so much. Most of the time it's because the slide's wood trim is blocking the view.

steps:
- run the slide out at least 6 to 8" to access the outside motor retention screw, usually under the rubber 'seal' near the top. This screw simply helps keep the motor from riding 'up' as the torque is applied when operating. If you can't get the slide to run out, then first unplug the motor's wire harness from it's controller, usually located in the outside cargo bay underneath the slide area. It's probably mounted on the wall of the bay. This releases the 'brakes' and allows you to physically push the slide out from the inside. You can even have someone push the slide switch while you push the end of the slide from the inside. Or, you can remove both motor harnesses and try to push both ends manually, especially doable on smaller bedroom slides.

- after removing the outside motor screw, peel back the top corner of the seal on the inside, revealing the top of the motor and wiring harness. The harness is usually made up of small wires - be careful as you unplug it from the motor. The motor has a circular circuit board on top, so be careful as you slowly pull the motor straight up to remove it from the column shaft. You may have to wiggle it or angle it a certain way to get it all the way out. Now you can see that it has a shaft at the bottom, which has an indention on one side. This is how it sits within the column gear to provide the torque as it turns the gear column of the slide.

- go out and reattach the motor controller wiring harness(s) in the cargo bay, so that you'll have power to 'test' the new motor

- reattach the wiring harness to the new motor, and simply hold it by it's sides while someone pushes the slide switch for just a quick moment. You should feel the motor operate while the bottom shaft turns. If this is successful, then reinstall the motor in the gear shaft column, just like you removed it. Make sure that it is sitting all the way down into the gear shaft pocket.

- now, you can 'test' the install by having someone push the slide switch for a moment, while you see that the motor is turning and the slide moves slightly. Make sure the push the motor back down if it moved up slightly during the test.

- lastly, go out and screw in the outside motor retention screw, which should re-engage within the motor's screw 'slot'. This will keep the motor from riding 'up' as the slide moves.

- try the slide now and make sure that everything is 'back to normal' for operation
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Well, they do not look identical, although physically the dimensions are the same.

The smaller motor (300:1) has a black end cap whereas the larger motor (500:1) has a silverfish end cap:

From what I have gathered the actual motor is the same but the gearing is different so they would have to be replaced in pairs if you went to the high torque motor.

I agree the 300:1 should be used in smaller slides and the 500:1 in larger/heavier slides but apparently that is not the way Thor thinks as my 27.1 with a full wall slide has the 300:1 motors installed.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #7

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
I replaced the smaller bedroom slide motors in my Tuscany with the higher torque 500:1 motors. Only difference is the larger gear ratio makes the slide a little slower going in/out. Has been working fine for 2+ years now. I think worth doing the change.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #8

THOR #6451
Thank you for all the replies and for the picture of the two different motors. I don't know which motor I have yet as I don't pickup the motorhome until tomorrow. The slide that I had the trouble on is the bigger of the 2 slides but it's not a full wall slide. I haven't measured it but it's about a third of the length of my 37' motorhome. It has the dinette and the living area/couch on the slide.

If I don't have the higher geared motors I will replace them eventually if I have issues with them again.

Burch
Old 09-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Other than removing the slide motor, is there a way to tell which motors are installed on ones slide, the standard 300:1 or the high torque 500:1? I can't imagine calling Thor for that information as that would be a crap shoot.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Other than removing the slide motor, is there a way to tell which motors are installed on ones slide, the standard 300:1 or the high torque 500:1? I can't imagine calling Thor for that information as that would be a crap shoot.
With your slide in (or partially in) pull back the rubber strip at the top where the motor lives and you should be able to see it. You may actually be able to see the number on it but you can certainly see what the end cap looks like (at the top).
Old 09-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
I'll be calling Thor in a bit to ask them whats in my slide. Thor has always been great with answers for question just as this.

Since I have the full wall slide I'll assume its the 500:1. But I will agree with Thor you never know

Been wanting a spare or two just in case I need one while on a trip

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Lippert confirmed to me today that the high torque motors are drop-in replacements for the standard 300:1 motors but you have to replace both of them if you are changing, not just the failed one.

Thor had put the standard 300:1 in my 18' slide that carries all the kitchen components as well as a king size bed, platform and cabinets. Boggles my mind.

I'll have to verify I can reach the rear motor (the slide stops about 6" from the rear of the coach) but I am probably going to replace both motors with the high torque 500:1 motors.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Lippert confirmed to me today that the high torque motors are drop-in replacements for the standard 300:1 motors but you have to replace both of them if you are changing, not just the failed one.

Thor had put the standard 300:1 in my 18' slide that carries all the kitchen components as well as a king size bed, platform and cabinets. Boggles my mind.

I'll have to verify I can reach the rear motor (the slide stops about 6" from the rear of the coach) but I am probably going to replace both motors with the high torque 500:1 motors.
Good to know thanks

I have the same problem getting to the rear motor. I think ill have to stand on the bed and reach from above the slide down to the motor
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
It wouldn't surprise me if when some of your coaches were built they didn't have the 500:1 motor until people started having failures and created that motor (and the 3-Traxx system) as a result of those failures.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #15

THOR #6451
Unless there is a big cost difference between the two, I don't see why they just don't put the 500:1 motors in all the slides.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #16

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
Unless there is a big cost difference between the two, I don't see why they just don't put the 500:1 motors in all the slides.
I don't think there has to be that big of a cost differential for Thor (or any other manufacturer) to go with the cheaper model. Unfortunately that is just the way things are, a few pennies per coach will save the company money over the long run.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #17
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
$140 for 1 vs $480 for 2 is the difference I am looking at right now. For Thor the price difference on construction is likely less than $200 per slide.

You also have to factor in the high torque motor moves the slide about half the speed of the standard motor.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #12533
Anyone changed a slide motor on a Miramar

I haven't changed a slide motor on a Miramar, but I've done it on a Quantum. What the person posting the steps to do it failed to say is that after the motors are replaced, you'll have to bypass the slide controller to bring the slide in on the first time. Then you'll have to make sure the slide motors are sync'd. Not a big deal, but an important step.

Another thing is that Thor doesn't always get the retention screw in the right place. Mine on the rear motor was too low because it didn't hit the motor opening. Even with the retention screw in the motor lifted up twice on me. It shorted out the motor and broke the screw posts that keep the motor from rotating. So I added a second retention screw on the inside by adding a small steel strap with a screw in it to hit the motor opening on the front side. Since then it's been ok and hasn't lifted out of the slot.

The back motor was really hard to reach because of the small clearance between the wall and the slide.