Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2019, 11:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: British Columbia
THOR #13432
House Batteries Over Charging

So I've been having trouble with my batteries retaining a charge since we bought our Thor Gemini (2018) last summer. Learned that I should turn switch to "Store" only when parking it for "Storing." Makes sense!

Problem now is - batteries are overcharging, and boiling with strong sulphur smell. Battery water was low (very low in one cell) although I had checked it last fall. Suspect the overcharging is "boiling" the water off. Replaced the water, but still, batteries do not hold charge. Is there a voltage regulator that might be faulty, somewhere? Inverter? Suggestions?

Many thanks,
Bryan

Old 05-06-2019, 11:24 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
So I've been having trouble with my batteries retaining a charge since we bought our Thor Gemini (2018) last summer. Learned that I should turn switch to "Store" only when parking it for "Storing." Makes sense!

Problem now is - batteries are overcharging, and boiling with strong sulphur smell. Battery water was low (very low in one cell) although I had checked it last fall. Suspect the overcharging is "boiling" the water off. Replaced the water, but still, batteries do not hold charge. Is there a voltage regulator that might be faulty, somewhere? Inverter? Suggestions?

Many thanks,

Bryan

If you left it plugged into shore power all winter that might be the reason. I find that when on shore power I need to add water every few weeks. If the water level went seriously low it’s entirely possible that the battery is damaged beyond recovery. I store my RV with the negative terminal disconnected (the store switch doesn’t disconnect everything) and I reconnect, switch to use and run the generator for an hour or so with a space heater or air conditioner running about once a month. Has the dual purpose of exercising the generator and charging all of the batteries. OE batteries going on 4 years now.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:20 AM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
You might want to actually measure your battery charging voltage with a voltmeter. If your batteries are (or were at some past time) actually fully charged, the converter should be supplying 13.2 vdc max to maintain charge only, which should not boil your wet cell batteries.

You might have a converter problem that kept charge voltages high (at 13.6 to 14.4 vdc) which would (long term) cause the water levels to boil off. Exposed plates sulphate quickly and may cause permanent damage as mentioned in the previous post. Adjust water levels with distilled water only and check battery voltage with converter on shore AC and see if the readings ever drop to 13.2vdc (light or no loads on the batteries). Fully charged wet cell battery (unloaded and not being charged) should be 12.6vdc. A converter upgrade may be a good idea.....assuming the batteries are still viable. Also check your chassis battery water levels and charge voltage when on shore power.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:14 AM   #4

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
I don't know if you have an inverter/charger, but if so, I've seen a few of my friends new RVs with the chargers set for AGM batteries and not Flooded/Wet which could be your overcharging issue.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #5

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I also have a 2018 Compass and would check the date on the batteries. Mine were out of warranty before I bought it, the problem is they sit on the dealers lot for a period of time and most likely never hooked to shore power to charge the batteries and if not put in store position will deteriorate quickly. I replaced mine with new group 24`s from Napa
and my dealer went to bat for me a got some money back from Thor.
I checked the power center voltage and every thing was in order on that side. I hooked up a smart charger to the chassis batteries and that kept them fully charged all winter
Coveman 2
2018 Compass 23TB
Old 05-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #6

State: British Columbia
THOR #13432
Thank You!

Many thanks for your ideas and suggestions. I will follow up on them for sure!
-Bryan
Old 05-13-2019, 05:02 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Oklahoma
THOR #14018
Without knowing actual voltage to the batteries when on shore power was something that bothered me from the day we got our 2018 Vegas. One of the first modifications I completed was adding a $15 dollar digital voltmeter to monitor house battery voltage . I know at a glance what house battery voltages are with or without shore power. Simple installation since batteries were under the entry steps and mounted voltmeter beside Use/Store switch.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:36 AM   #8

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdpinokc View Post
Without knowing actual voltage to the batteries when on shore power was something that bothered me from the day we got our 2018 Vegas. One of the first modifications I completed was adding a $15 dollar digital voltmeter to monitor house battery voltage . I know at a glance what house battery voltages are with or without shore power. Simple installation since batteries were under the entry steps and mounted voltmeter beside Use/Store switch.

Did same. Quick glance and I know voltage.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #9

THOR #6826
I put one of these in an unused switch opening on my dash (blank plate just popped out and this fit perfectly). Picked up both inputs from the radio selector switch also on the dash. Cost $12 and only took about 30 minutes. Looks factory. One of my favorite mods to date..Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2194.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	17371
Old 05-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #10

Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
Do you have a link for where you purchased it?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I put one of these in an unused switch opening on my dash (blank plate just popped out and this fit perfectly). Picked up both inputs from the radio selector switch also on the dash. Cost $12 and only took about 30 minutes. Looks factory. One of my favorite mods to date..Attachment 17371
Old 05-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #11

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladinwj View Post
Do you have a link for where you purchased it?

Thanks

I didn’t look it up on my Amazon history but this screen shot should get you there. As I recall there were several brands and you could get either red or blue.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2197.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	17377
Old 05-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #12

Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I didn’t look it up on my Amazon history but this screen shot should get you there. As I recall there were several brands and you could get either red or blue.Attachment 17377

Tags
house battery problems