Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
THOR #15163
Oxidation

We have a 2014 Hurricane 34E. We love our motor home, however, the New Mexico sun causes the exterior to oxidize. We wax our motor home twice a year. As a matter of fact, I just finished waxing it, but the oxidation is still awful. Any suggestions on what we can do? We are currently using a polish and then we wax with Maquire's carnuba wax. Any suggestions on what we can do to make our motor home look good again?

Old 04-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Are you using a good quality dual action orbital buffer to get rid of the oxidation first? McGuire's has a marine-grade oxidation remover that I used on our Axis for the SoCal sun damage. After you get it back to where it actually has the oxidation gone, the only real answer is to get it out of the sun or you will be constantly fighting the battle.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:05 PM   #3

State: New Mexico
THOR #15163
Oxidation

Thank you Earl for the great information. I have talked with three different RV service managers and no one has suggested the Meguiars Oxidation Remover and we haven't seen it at Walmart either. I just put it in my cart with Amazon. Unfortunately, we travel between New Mexico and Arizona and this year plan on using it quite often so the storage it out. We are trying to come up with some sort of shade in our backyard but don't have room for a carport. Again, I sure appreciate the quick response and suggestion!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Cathy
Old 04-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

Model: ACE 29.2
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5447
This took all the oxidation off my 2015 ACE - works fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	16980  
Old 04-29-2019, 07:42 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I agree with axis earl on the McGuire's oxidation remover, I have used it on my boats and RVs. I tried using their compound and then their wax and I was not satisfied with how it brought back the original color and finish. After trying a variety of other things, I bought a product that JimmyGeek mentioned in a different post called Rejex 61001. When I put on a coat of Rejex, waited for 10 minutes to dry and then removed the film with a very thin coat of McGuires wax, I was much happier with how it turned out. And it is easy to do with no buffing. You still have to get the oxidation off first.
My Axis stays out in the direct Florida sun all winter and I don’t have any easy way to change that. Oxidation is a given, but I hope that the Rejex and wax will help to slow that down. Also because the Rejex and wax is so easy to do, maybe I will apply it more often. We’ll see this summer.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:21 AM   #6

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I just ordered Rejex today. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow early enough that I can give it a try. I have one side of the RV that has oxidation and today I tried three different products in small areas with poor results, none specifically for oxidation. I am hoping I can find an easy way so Rejex is my next attempt.

Years ago when we lived in AZ there was a product sold at the swap meets. I forgot the name but it was the best car wax I ever used. My mother had a little red Honda and it was so oxidized it looked nearly white. I used this polish on it and it absolutely looked new. It was a good six month polish.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:47 AM   #7

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc290 View Post
This took all the oxidation off my 2015 ACE - works fantastic.
Trying this tomorrow on the front, will let you know how it works.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:53 AM   #8

THOR #1765
I used heavy oxidation remover before I used the Rejex. I think you May have to get the oxidation off - depending on how bad it is - before the Rejex will really work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	592C9B25-E0EE-4CBA-B5C0-EB07491A4E50.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	17091  
Old 05-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #9

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
Worked on the front cap today and it came out like brand new. Used a buffer on the 3M and did the Rejex by hand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	17093  
Old 05-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
Worked on the front cap today and it came out like brand new. Used a buffer on the 3M and did the Rejex by hand.
Thanks for the follow-up. We use REJEX, but haven't tried the OXIDATION REMOVER yet.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:03 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
One more question... How does everyone polish and wax the top of the front cap above the windshield?

That is the area of the worst oxidation (of course) and also the hardest (at least for me) to get to.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:12 AM   #12

THOR #1765
The only way is to crawl up onto the roof and hang over the cap. I take a lounge cushion and lie down on it and reach over the edge. I can reach the whole cap in about four moves, but it’s not something I enjoy.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:18 AM   #13

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Our 2016 24.1 had very bad fading on top of the front cap early on in our ownership. We ended up getting it painted under the finish warranty we paid for. Might be worth looking into having that front cap painted because getting up on the roof to buff and polish would get old the first time.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:44 AM   #14

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
THOR #14761
Hey people I have a 12 foot aluminum A-frame ladder super easy to get above the windshield and take care of the cap on C A’s There about $75 bucks at Home Depot, I also have stock so please support them. And think about all of the windows you can clean at your home your wife will love you.
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #15

THOR #1765
Unfortunately, the Axis and Vegas window is not close to vertical like most of the bigger Class A’s so you are too far from the cap on top of a ladder for me. I’ve tried it that way, and you can’t get very far up the cap without feeling like you are going to go thru the window or back over.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #16

Brand: Redwood
State: Alberta
THOR #14499
Full body paint is the only way to go.....pride of ownership is important....and having a dull finish on your RV is nothing but work.....we have had many RV's....and our present fifth wheel has body paint....Wow....time to have fun instead of endless hours trying to keep the rig looking good...hanging off ladders...only to see it get dull again in short order...its an option that more and more people are getting on towables and motorhomes....
Old 05-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #17

THOR #15078
I just bought a 2019 fourwinds and Thor recommended a product called Aqua Buff 2000. Haven’t tried it yet
Old 05-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #18

State: Nevada
THOR #6527
Take a look at Poli-Glow a marine use product for gel coat, I have a vegas 24.1 in Nevada sun. Check out youtube videos for pole-Glow. i used it and am very impressed.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:14 AM   #19

Model: ACE 29.2
THOR #2580
I agree with wintertree we have a 2012 ACE with full body paint.
We live in the high desert and the RV sits in our backyard with no cover.
We wax it once a year unless and it's a dark brown with no problem yet. Knock on wood.
Lol

Good luck
Old 05-12-2019, 03:56 AM   #20

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Buffing with an oxidation remover worked for me on area above front window. Its Ox remover, then polish, then wax. Going to try ceramic coating instead of wax. Suppose to last longer.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote