Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 11:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #12677
Panel for removing Vegas battery from the side

Anyone ever thought of putting a panel through the side wall to the right of the current chassis battery? I got a great fiberglass/body guy and I'm going to see if he can do it while maintaining side wall strength in all directions. I m thinking a powder coated thin metal panel with the removed section mounted on it's inner surface and trimmed to fit with lots of machine screws to secure the panel. Taking off 20 screws would sure be better than what we have to do now. After this experience, I'd hate to do it in nature.

Also, I'm changing the chassis battery and the house batteries to AGM any thoughts or warnings would be great. Thanks

Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Rumor has it that you can remove the battery through the wheel well.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I wont not go though all that trouble plus it might hurt the resale value of your RV (not to mention the cost).

It dont take that long to remove the desk from inside the RV. I took mine off to see what its all about (Plus I insulated with Dynomatt) and it only took me 10 minutes tops. Lot of threads on removing desk on a Axis/Vegas with pictures.

Some are using brackets to hold wood in place when done so you might want to figure how your going to replace the wood section before you start the procedure.

Once you cut the wood and rig up hold down of some sort it will be much quicker to replace your battery in the future.

I would also go with an AGM replacement battery.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
JamieGeek:
You have a ‘14
Have you replaced your chassis battery yet?
(I assume your E350 is a ‘13, so that makes your battery 6 yrs old?)
Old 02-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
JamieGeek:
You have a ‘14
Have you replaced your chassis battery yet?
(I assume your E350 is a ‘13, so that makes your battery 6 yrs old?)
Nope, the house battery lasted one season before it went. So far the chassis battery has been working well despite my attempts to kill it (I've drained it dead twice now but so far it still holds a charge).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #4816
The chassis battery in my 2015 Vegas 24.1 has been changed through wheel well. Turn wheels fully (can't recall left or right) and with one guy above the battery handing it down to fellow below the battery, it can be removed and new one installed.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Interesting
I thought I read that detail somewhere within the Forum
Old 02-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #8

State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
The chassis battery in my 2015 Vegas 24.1 has been changed through wheel well. Turn wheels fully (can't recall left or right) and with one guy above the battery handing it down to fellow below the battery, it can be removed and new one installed.

Yeppers, turn the wheels all the way to the right pull the wheel well panel and lower the battery down through the wheel well.....
Old 02-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #9

State: Florida
THOR #4816
taylorbob1, there was a similar thread on this forum quite some time ago. I believe I posted on it as well. That may be where you read about approaches to changing the chassis battery. I'm sure it will be a topic that comes up from time to time.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:00 PM   #10

THOR #12677
I saw that but there is a panel that runs to the sidewall that makes it more difficult than coming at it from the passenger side. I replaced the lead acid with an AGM with higher cranking amps and so far so good. I took the wooden piecd mounted it to a thin piece of alum that was an inch or so wider and dropped it in place. and taped the alum piece in with alum tape. Hopefully all is well. I think I will eventually go back and put more insulation on the bottom side (facing the engine).

I have an appointment with the body shop I used for years and want to see if he thinks if a side panel is doable while maintaining the structural strength in all axis.

Looking at the R Side engine compartment it also looks like filling the oil and pulling the dip stick could be made much easier from that same area.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:06 PM   #11

THOR #12677
Put in an AGM with higher AMPS - working well so far - 1 day LOL.

I'm an engineer and if I do try the panel it will be well researched and look like it came from the factory. Thanks and if I do i will try to remember Pixs.