Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2022, 11:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #28343
parking brake slideout issues 2022 chateau 28z

I have some very weird issue(s) going on with my 2022 chateau. Ive tracked the problem to a few possibilities but wanted some opinions.

My 2022 chateau started getting a "parking brake engaged" warning even though the parking brake was off. This obviously causes issues with driving down the road with the annoying alarm constantly going off. It will randomly shut itself off and then be fine. Then it might start back up again. It's really odd.

Now, I was having issue with the slide out. The 2022 requires the motor to be running and parking brake engaged for the slide out to work. Even with the parking brake light on, the slide out would not engage. I even tried the controller manual override and that did not work. It's like there's not enough power or theres a short somewhere. But it wouldnt even try to turn on.

So far, this is where Im at. I have replaced the parking brake sensor. This has not fixed anything. But the interesting part is I discovered that when my parking brake is lit when it shouldnt be, if I press my "emergency engine start" button, I hear a click and the light goes off and my slide out works.

With this recent discovery, that would lead me to believe that there is a voltage issue with a battery somewhere. The parking brake light can sometimes come on if there is low voltage to the dashboard (I read that somewhere). Since the parking brake is the main circuit for the slide out controller, this would cause issue with slideouts. But what doesnt make sense is that when I tried the slideouts the other day with engine on, parking brake on, they wouldnt work until I pressed that emergency start button.

Im wondering if I should replace a battery somewhere or if there is more to this.

Old 10-25-2022, 12:31 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Did you just press and release the e start button? Or did you have to hold it down while deploying the slide? I thought the e start didn’t really do anything unless you held it down while turning the ignition on. Scratching my head as to how a momentary push & release might affect things.
Old 10-25-2022, 12:38 PM   #3

State: Michigan
THOR #28343
Had to push and hold it down. All the button does is connect the house batteries to the chassis battery. Thats what lead me to believe its a voltage issue. If the controller doesnt get the right voltage, it wont activate. Connecting all the batteries together while pressing that button wouldve given it the required voltage. Momentarily pressing it kinda seems like a quick fix for the parking brake light being on even though the brake isnt engaged.
Old 10-25-2022, 12:45 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Sorry. Electrical is not my cup of tea. But someone on here can help.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:06 PM   #5

State: Nebraska
THOR #20283
Lightbulb Park Brake Indicator Light

I recently solved a problem that might be related to your park brake light issue. My indicator dash panel brake light was intermittently on. Also the reserve brake system warning light was intermittently on. The problem was caused by the large wiring loom laying across the park brake light switch. This was pressing against the switch in a way that bent the plastic switch just enough to prevent the steel plunger from sliding in and out of the switch so the light would stay on at times when the park brake was released. I fixed the problem by harnessing the wiring loom up away from the switch. In my opinion Thor needs to do a better job of routing and harnessing the wiring looms throughout the motor coaches.