Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.2
State: Illinois
THOR #12796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsport_29_M View Post
What material can be used under tires while coach is parked on dirt.

I was at an RV park in Southport NC with a medium large diesel pusher, about 30,000 lbs with six tires. I used my washer/dryer several times a week. The ground is sand there. To keep from sinking in I used 4 foot long untreated 2X12's under each tire. I used 9" X 16" X 3" solid concrete blocks under the leveling jacks; after 4 months I had 5 deep of them buried under the softest two corners. The closest 2X12's had only sunk about 3/4". I re-leveled about weekly.
I have actually stayed there 4 times, at least 2 months at a shot with 9 months the longest. One time another Big RV stayed there for a couple weeks and needed a wrecker to pull them out after sinking in up to the rims.
I chose untreated lumber because; it was cheaper, I thought the chemicals might mess up the tires and I was abandoning the lumber. I normally use PT 2X12's about 2 feet long under the leveling jacks and 4' long untreated 2X12's under the tires in many situations. I jack each corner up with a 12 ton bottle jack to put the boards under the tires. If you stay awhile it can be a better idea than sinking in. Normally I do try to stay where I can park on asphalt or concrete, or worst case gravel. I travel and stay to work. Sometimes the only thing you can find is mud or sand.
If you have a smaller, lighter rig; then adjust accordingly. When I had a 27 foot travel trailer, I used 2 foot 2X6 lumber. The stationary occupied weight was about 8000 lbs on 4 tires and 4 scissors jacks for stabilization and leveling. And of course no washer dryer.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #22

Model: Palazzo 36.2
THOR #12796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Aren't most campgrounds made with dirt. What could possibly be the problem?

There's dirt and then there's other dirt. It does not always behave the same. Sometimes if you think that way; you wind up in up to the axles. All it takes is a really good soaker rain or too much sand.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:13 AM   #23
Cwp

State: Florida
THOR #17639
Why use?

This seems to depend on location, why you need it, is your MH 2 or 4 wheel drive, have your levellers not taken the weight off the ground under tyres , tyre condition, inflation, etc.

Maybe a one size fits and and get track treads (or whatever you guys USA side call them), they can be driven over and left on site, help reduce sinking if its gets wetter boggy and can be used for snow and ice.

Once mans thought, but your circumstances might help as to why you're asking.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Pal36.3 View Post
One time another Big RV stayed there for a couple weeks and needed a wrecker to pull them out after sinking in up to the rims.
I bet that only happened to him one time.

Funny how hindsight learning experiences turn into foresight evaluation experiences.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #25

THOR #2402
I buy a case of king size "My Pillows" each year ... actually some good conversation.