Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2020, 12:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 32.3
State: California
THOR #19929
Part time Axxera: only works on house.

Thor ACE 32.3 2020

Had it about three weeks now. System has worked on both house power and chassis power (with house power off). I know earlier systems only worked on house power but not the case here. Been working fine for weeks on either without the other and suddenly yesterday, It only works on house power. (Possible clue: was working on side step yesterday also. Can’t see how related but who knows.)

Before I tear into the vast unknown, what are the likely causes. Where would you start. Probably could be 6 or 8 different things considering all the tight, pitched, spliced wires but looking for priority list. Not looking forward to getting behind the dash. I am kinda expecting a diode pair somewhere that merges the sources? .. I might start there.. or maybe separate fuses for each source?.. May be tomorrow’s project

Jim(SDB)

Old 08-30-2020, 01:09 AM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Simple question, is your use/store switch in the store position?

If it is or the house batteries are discharged you would have that condition you described.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:30 AM   #3

THOR #19929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
Simple question, is your use/store switch in the store position?

If it is or the house batteries are discharged you would have that condition you described.
As I mentioned, not the way it has worked since new. The coach has been driven with the house battery switch off (mine says just on and off) for 1500 miles. There was power to the radio with the key on ( and it went off with the key off) and suddenly yesterday, it would not work with the key. It is not a big deal, I can turn the house on. But sometimes(like today) I wanted to move it and I had to get up and turn the house on to see with the rear view camera. This has not been the case. It was driven from Texas to California with the house off and the Axxera worked fine. I am aware that some work as you describe but not the case here.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Maybe you had a problem before and now it works correctly?

Historically, in-dash radios have always been powered by the house batteries. They do get their memory power from the chassis battery though. Maybe an unintentional wiring problem there?

Have you got your wiring "schematics" for your coach from Thor yet? Probably gonna need those to do any real troubleshooting.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:07 AM   #5

THOR #19929
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
.. <clip>

Have you got your wiring "schematics" for your coach from Thor yet? Probably gonna need those to do any real troubleshooting.
Are you talking about something more than what is available as part of the owners documents online? I have what was supplied with my account when registered called 12v wiring schematic.. more of a cartoon than any real schematic.. It has the overall house schematic but nothing detailed enough to see how the Axxera is wired.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:45 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegobrass View Post
Are you talking about something more than what is available as part of the owners documents online? I have what was supplied with my account when registered called 12v wiring schematic.. more of a cartoon than any real schematic.. It has the overall house schematic but nothing detailed enough to see how the Axxera is wired.
That's why I put "schematic" in quotes. They don't really know the difference between a schematic, block diagram, or wiring diagram.

All I can tell you is that if your coach turned on the radio when the ignition was on and the house battery disconnect open, it is the first one I have heard of that did that. Since most people leave their house batteries connected continuously unless storing their MH for more than a couple of days without being plugged into SP they may not have noticed anything different.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:00 AM   #7

THOR #19929
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That's why I put "schematic" in quotes. They don't really know the difference between a schematic, block diagram, or wiring diagram.

All I can tell you is that if your coach turned on the radio when the ignition was on and the house battery disconnect open, it is the first one I have heard of that did that. Since most people leave their house batteries connected continuously unless storing their MH for more than a couple of days without being plugged into SP they may not have noticed anything different.
I think you must be correct... Thanks, ... I am probably confused... The switch was probably on all the time that I thought it was off.. And driving that far with it off makes no sense either (even though the house was not used)... in fact, I can't think of a reason that it should be wired any differently than you described.... And, ?? even if the Axxera was on, would the camera's even power up without the house switch on? Probably not (and don't have the schematic)... so what I said really doesn't make much sense... (happening once in a while these days.. :-)

[Maybe you know, does the camera power come from the house?]

...and one less problem to chase...

Jim (SDB)
Old 08-30-2020, 04:19 AM   #8

THOR #14070
Also take into consideration that the Axxera system is trash.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:45 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegobrass View Post
I think you must be correct... Thanks, ... I am probably confused... The switch was probably on all the time that I thought it was off.. And driving that far with it off makes no sense either (even though the house was not used)... in fact, I can't think of a reason that it should be wired any differently than you described.... And, ?? even if the Axxera was on, would the camera's even power up without the house switch on? Probably not (and don't have the schematic)... so what I said really doesn't make much sense... (happening once in a while these days.. :-)

[Maybe you know, does the camera power come from the house?]

...and one less problem to chase...

Jim (SDB)
Yes.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:48 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by motofabio View Post
also take into consideration that the axxera system is trash.

^^^^^ x2 ^^^^^
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote