Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
peeling seat, dinette and sunburned decals

My 7 yr old 27K needs cosmetic refurbishment, has anyone reupholstered everything and had the decals replaced or repainted? I am selling the RV, but might have the work done to make the price higher and quicker sale... Rough costs is what I am looking for. I was quoted $1800 to reupholster, but that was a text quote, they had not seen the inside yet.

Thanks

Peter

Old 11-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Are the decals peeling or just faded? If NOT peeling, you can get some amazing results by careful cleaning, polishing and a quality wax.

If selling, unless you're getting a tremendous deal, I wouldn't pay for a detail... especially if you can do it yourself with some old fashioned elbow grease... money in your pocket!
Old 11-13-2021, 10:32 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
This may or may answer your question, but below is based on what you have stated thus far. Pictures would have helped.

1. Selling is a good idea and it is a good time right now, listed as is sooner than later if not already because the prices are dropping.
2. I would not re-upholster. Let the buyer fool with that. Give them a couple of Upholstery places with estimates so they have options to do what they want. Jack your selling price up by $2k and tell them if they buy you will give them $1,500 discount for upholstery.
3. I am gonna assume you never properly wax and maintained your RV;s gelcoat and decals. It is likely because you didn't like the work or want to do it. You selling so why start now? Find a shop that will buff it out and wax it for you. Treat the decals with 303 Protectant. Expect to pay around $700. Your RV will look so good you may not wish to sell it. If you have fair selling price your RV will be gone within 60 days of cleaning inside and waxing of outside.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:03 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
When I removed the oxidation on ours and applied the Meguiar's marine wax, I think the gelcoat looked better than new. I actually got some on the decals, which is not recommended. BUT - it didn't hurt them at all. They were not faded or peeling. I honestly think the Meguiar's wax would really shine up the decals... if they were in nasty shape.

I started using dk's method with the 303 Protectant on the decals. I've used that stuff on rubber seals and trim for several years... I even keep my Wrangler's soft top coated with it.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:33 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
When I removed the oxidation on ours and applied the Meguiar's marine wax, I think the gelcoat looked better than new. I actually got some on the decals, which is not recommended. BUT - it didn't hurt them at all. They were not faded or peeling. I honestly think the Meguiar's wax would really shine up the decals... if they were in nasty shape.

I started using dk's method with the 303 Protectant on the decals. I've used that stuff on rubber seals and trim for several years... I even keep my Wrangler's soft top coated with it.
You are one of the exceptionist that will always have nice looking RV you willing to do the work and take the time to do it it right This RV is 7 years old without that twice a year wax treatment; so it has likely been neglected.

Also, just so you know, I get wax on my decals too at times (I don't mask the decals or anything so there will always be some). Point is to not try to deliberately wax the decals (especially with a buffer / polisher). You don't need wax on decals as long as you keep the decals treated with something like 303 Protectant. But if one is not going to wax their RV once / twice a year they are also not likely going to treat the decals 6 times a year with 303 protectant; so in case of the latter, it is better to have waxed the decals given that you will not treat the decals. In short wax on decals is better than nothing.

When I get my RV back from the dealer, I will go with a full wash including the roof with the RV Gel Wash & Wax, when it dries down; I will apply the 303 protectant on my decals and window rubber.

For OP, he is just looking to sell, so he best bet is hire someone that knows what they are doing to buff it out to get that gel coat shining again. He has cracked decals so nothing is going to fix that, just spray the 303 to get a little lustre and call it day. Sell and take the money. Now if OP buys a new one RV maybe he comes back on how to take care of it so it never gets to the condition he is dealing with now.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote