Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #4631
New Upholstery 15 Vegas

Even tho Rv stored, captains chairs and sofa upholstery failed. Went route of seat covers when on sale at CW for year till just bit bullet and went to my long time auto upholstery shop that stays 2 mo behind on schedule to get u in
Chairs look great, better than new and upgrades coach. About 30 yd material for all 3 items and about $3k but no choice
Good luck to everyone having this issue

Old 10-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #62

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Florida
THOR #6605
@kkbaker Thx is ur guy in Fl?
Old 10-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #63

THOR #4631
No. Out of Waco Tx. Sorry!
Old 10-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #64

Model: Citation SR24
THOR #13811
Yup, bit the bullet also and had the front seats done. A company called Katzkin did them.$1200.00 They only do automotive and light trucks but got lucky as my seats are MB Sprinter. I haven't got to the sofa yet. Probably wait till it gets a bit worse.
What a joke this all is. All you guys with relatively new expensive coaches with the same issue and no one is held accountable.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:30 AM   #65

THOR #4631
I want to state that having owned many RVs since mid 1975, this was first upholstery job had to do. Was terribly disappointed this Manufacturer chose to down grade fabric to the point it was a joke. Just saying
Old 10-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #66
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbaker View Post
Even tho Rv stored, captains chairs and sofa upholstery failed. Went route of seat covers when on sale at CW for year till just bit bullet and went to my long time auto upholstery shop that stays 2 mo behind on schedule to get u in
Chairs look great, better than new and upgrades coach. About 30 yd material for all 3 items and about $3k but no choice
Good luck to everyone having this issue
How about some pictures?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #67

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbaker View Post
I want to state that having owned many RVs since mid 1975, this was first upholstery job had to do. Was terribly disappointed this Manufacturer chose to down grade fabric to the point it was a joke. Just saying
It's not just RV's that were affected by the defective material, but a lot of furniture mfg's also. We have two recliners about 5 yrs. old that started cracking and peeling. Furniture company nor the recliner manufacturer will make good on it. Their warranty is only for one year period. In checking on the web, there are many complaints about this stuff that came from China. I think a lot of companies bought into the cheap stuff and it is coming back on them. Neither the retailers or manufacturers will admit the defect even though it is well known that they dove on the cheap stuff. I guess if they did, it would put some of them out of business. The lesson here is, don't buy cheap from China or not at all if you can help it. Also, try to get a longer warranty with furniture covering.
Rant off.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #68

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Go to Walmart and get some seat covers
Old 10-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #69

THOR #15410
All of our vinyl furniture in our2017 chateau, it was all cracked.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #70

THOR #16024
Re: Peeling upholstery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doreen View Post
I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and the vinyl seats are peeling. Has anyone else had that problem? I think it is from the extreme heat we are experiencing in Central Florida and my Vegas spends a good amount of time parked in an open storage lot between outings. Has anyone had the vinyl seats (front and sofa) reupholstered? What is the approximate cost? And did you have them reupholstered in the same vinyl?
We have a 2016 Hurricane 35c. We had the same issue. As the story goes Thor had upholstery issues in approximately 2011-2016 model years. The vinyl peels away from the fabric backing. Unfortunately, neither Thor or Lippert will do anything. You only solutions are (1) take the seats and get them reupholstered or (2) Get online and find yourself some replacement seats. We did that. Yes, it cost us almost $3,000 but we got new driver and passenger captains chairs, new dinette cushions and new furniture to replace the peeling theater seating. So sorry this happened to you as well as us and apparently many others.
P.S. ordering new seats is an adventure. It takes 8 to 12 weeks to get them (a casualty of COVID-19 pandemic.)
Old 11-23-2020, 10:58 PM   #71

Model: 32N
State: North Carolina
THOR #15896
Peeling upholstery

Point of reference on repair cost, we had driver and passenger seats redone with material they use for boats-&650. Dinette seats and strips on top cost $150. Replaced sleeper/ sofa with two recliners. Our guy did a great job. Oliver upholstery in Bryson City NC. I am sure if you shop around you can find a shop someplace closer to this than $2-3,000. Good luck all
Old 11-23-2020, 11:20 PM   #72
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How about some pictures of the job that they did for you?
Old 11-24-2020, 01:42 AM   #73

Model: 32N
State: North Carolina
THOR #15896
Will back in town where RV is stored later in December. Will send pics then
Old 11-24-2020, 01:47 AM   #74
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Old 11-25-2020, 12:14 AM   #75

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
2016 Siesta Sprinter, delivered June 2015...My vinyl theater seats fnally disintegrated, I removed the seats and took to Penton's auto upholstery here in Pensacola. recovered in high grade vinyl and added foam $800. Saved about $250 by removing and re installing the seats. Not complicated. The recliner bases slide into the brackets on the floor and clip to brackets on the side of the center section.

(The wire above the seats is my BatteryMinder connection for the chassis battery)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	27318   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	27319  

1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:16 AM   #76
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
They look really nice!
Old 11-25-2020, 01:40 AM   #77

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
They look great. I have the dream dinette in that location on my 2018 Siesta 24SS. It is always good when you can save a little bit of money and do some things yourself.

Paul
Old 11-25-2020, 01:58 AM   #78

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
2016 Siesta Sprinter, delivered June 2015...My vinyl theater seats fnally disintegrated, I removed the seats and took to Penton's auto upholstery here in Pensacola. recovered in high grade vinyl and added foam $800. Saved about $250 by removing and re installing the seats. Not complicated. The recliner bases slide into the brackets on the floor and clip to brackets on the side of the center section.

(The wire above the seats is my BatteryMinder connection for the chassis battery)
Old 03-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #79

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
custom made covers

I am selling my 2014 Huricane 27k, looking to go bigger, and everyone who looks at it asks about the seats. ( and the sunburned rusted decals on outside that are cracking ) I have a little wear on the armrest of the dinnete also. I came across this company that will make covers. https://www.etsy.com/listing/6218325...?gpla=1&gao=1&
Old 03-10-2021, 04:11 PM   #80

State: Indiana
THOR #20105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doreen View Post
I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and the vinyl seats are peeling. Has anyone else had that problem? I think it is from the extreme heat we are experiencing in Central Florida and my Vegas spends a good amount of time parked in an open storage lot between outings. Has anyone had the vinyl seats (front and sofa) reupholstered? What is the approximate cost? And did you have them reupholstered in the same vinyl?
I found a local auto upholstery guy who did a great job, two captains chairs and the full dinette for 1200 bucks... way better material.. you are in Florida I bet there are a lot of shops that do boats there.. you will have no luck finding replacement seat covers.. other option is just to buy new seats
m

Tags
peeling, seats, sofa, upholstery