Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2022, 10:20 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #16550
Thor repair or replace

Seems like Thor ought to be on the hook for fixing this problem. Why should we be responsible to fix a problem that was clearly caused by substandard material. Seems perfect for a class action lawsuit.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:03 AM   #82
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyanderson View Post
Seems like Thor ought to be on the hook for fixing this problem. Why should we be responsible to fix a problem that was clearly caused by substandard material. Seems perfect for a class action lawsuit.
Look all manufactures purchase pre made items including seats. The RV industry is mostly a systems assembly company. They do not manufacture any seat or seat cover. Almost the entire industry including trailer manufactures products have the same problem form the same year periods. It is not a THOR problem. We have the same problem in our 2013 Plazzo as well. We will purchase seat covers for the dinette, remove the couch and replace with dual reclining chairs, replace one euro chair and when the front seats peal, get them recovered. So what. You will spend more time, money, and frustration on trying to get blood out of a turnip then just fixing the problem yourself.

My biggest frustration is the $%#@! big Swintek slide, but I digress from the subject. And no we cannot go to Texas do to my wife's health problems, that really got bad an hour after the second COVID booster.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:58 PM   #83

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Minnesota
THOR #23837
Our Christmas presents to each other.. New captains chair upholstery! Already done the dinette and theater chairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14063.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	40425  
Old 12-22-2022, 02:09 AM   #84

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Those came out looking great.

Paul
Old 12-22-2022, 03:07 AM   #85

State: Indiana
THOR #20105
Upholstery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doreen View Post
I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and the vinyl seats are peeling. Has anyone else had that problem? I think it is from the extreme heat we are experiencing in Central Florida and my Vegas spends a good amount of time parked in an open storage lot between outings. Has anyone had the vinyl seats (front and sofa) reupholstered? What is the approximate cost? And did you have them reupholstered in the same vinyl?
1200 got me the complete Dinette and both captains chairs done in WAY better material. Found a local guy on Facebook market. Am very happy with the results. Good luck
Old 12-28-2022, 08:10 PM   #86

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Minnesota
THOR #23837
Thanks Paul,
It hit 37 degrees here in Minnesota today so I started up the genny and reinstalled the seats. Getting itchy to head south!
Old 12-29-2022, 06:19 PM   #87

Model: 40KQ
State: Oklahoma
THOR #24608
Hwy Uncharted, come on down, RGV is calling your name ! Been down here for two months and after seeing your seats, I'm looking around for company's that might do me the favor of replacing my peeling seats and couch..
Old 12-29-2022, 10:52 PM   #88

THOR #12125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unchartered View Post
Our Christmas presents to each other.. New captains chair upholstery! Already done the dinette and theater chairs.
I've got these same seats in my 2016 29M.

Does anyone know if there is a Ford (or other) vehicle that comes stock with seats very close in dimensions to these? Perhaps a Ford E350 van or something?

My thought was to order sheepskin seat covers for a particular vehicle with similar seats rather than having to pay a lot extra for a "custom RV" seat.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:50 AM   #89

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerne RV View Post
We have a great upholstery guy
https://share.icloud.com/photos/05wN...dmaNlsSG9U9rXw
We take them in, he takes the furniture, body shop repairs the fiberglass dings and cracks, I fix all the system breakdowns and then sell what they should have been to start with.
Tires, batteries, generator overhaul, windshield... whatever it takes to make it what we will sell.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0jO7...OOxR_ORD9p_2ng
Your link did not work for me, Bourne RV. We live in your area and are VERY interested! Could you please type the name of the company, email address and phone number. Also, the name of the person you work with will be helpful. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2023, 10:20 PM   #90

State: Missouri
THOR #21225
We had the same issue on our 2017 Thor Siesta. Had no choice but to get the loveseat re-upolstered as couldn't find anything new that would drop in nice to replace it. Still need to do the captains chairs up front as they have the same issue. The RV was only 3 years old when the problem showed up. Terrible quality, but there doesn't seem to be any recourse other than buying a higher quality RV next time
Old 03-31-2023, 01:06 AM   #91

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
RecPro couch I purchased three years ago is also peeling.

Same garbage fake vinyl. waste of $950.00.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:12 AM   #92

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluth View Post
We had the same issue on our 2017 Thor Siesta. Had no choice but to get the loveseat re-upolstered as couldn't find anything new that would drop in nice to replace it. Still need to do the captains chairs up front as they have the same issue. The RV was only 3 years old when the problem showed up. ---- Terrible quality, but there doesn't seem to be any recourse other than buying a higher quality RV next time----
Welcome aboard!
I realize there are 5 pages of posts in this thread, and it is a bit much to read them all, but if you go back through some of them you will see it is/was an industry wide problem. There were several years that substandard materials were used in the production of RV furniture in all makes and models of RV's. The higher end coaches were not immune to the problem either.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:38 PM   #93

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
We are ordering a Jack-knife sofa and two new captain's chairs from Shop4Seats to replace the shredding sofa and chairs in my 2015 Vegas 24.1. We are going to order the new set in fabric so that we don't have anymore shredding of bonded leather upholstering. Here's a link to the set we are ordering.

https://shop4seats.com/rv-seating/rv...e-package.html
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 12:53 AM   #94

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #29184
Angry 2020 Thor Miramar 37.1 seats peeling

Still going on. Seats are beginning to peel. Thor should be holding suppliers feet to the fire, but no, even after 6 years of the problem. SMH
Old 07-05-2023, 02:49 AM   #95

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I bought my RV in 2019, this topic was one of those of a few that scared me to death from buying an RV. I don't know who, what or when, but I do know my seats are part of the industry, and we have seen nothing like the peeling being described. I do know that some with my RV MFG have complained about seats peeling so at best it is / was a crapshoot. But I doubt very seriously it is industry problem today.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 11:54 AM   #96

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
I have encountered the same peeling issues as most have and am looking for a good upholstery shop along the eat coast (from NY state to SC.

Can anyone make a recommendation based on experience?
Old 07-15-2023, 06:26 PM   #97

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleypsychRN View Post
I have encountered the same peeling issues as most have and am looking for a good upholstery shop along the eat coast (from NY state to SC.

Can anyone make a recommendation based on experience?
Usually it cheaper to replace rather than recover the furniture. That way you get the color and style your DW likes. Spoken by a guy that has been married 60 years to an interior designer.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 09:34 AM   #98

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Usually it cheaper to replace rather than recover the furniture. That way you get the color and style your DW likes. Spoken by a guy that has been married 60 years to an interior designer.
Thanks for that comment. I suspect this is going to cost some bucks but we like the RV so I guess "buy once cry once". I don't want to replace it with something that going to be some cheap stuff that Thor used.

Tags
peeling, seats, sofa, upholstery