Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Florida
THOR #4093
Peeling upholstery

I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and the vinyl seats are peeling. Has anyone else had that problem? I think it is from the extreme heat we are experiencing in Central Florida and my Vegas spends a good amount of time parked in an open storage lot between outings. Has anyone had the vinyl seats (front and sofa) reupholstered? What is the approximate cost? And did you have them reupholstered in the same vinyl?

Old 06-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This is (unfortunately); a pretty well-known problem.
Thor's use of what is really substandard upholstery, has has plenty of folks looking for better options.
I don't have an answer for you; but good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #3

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
It's the furniture manufacturers that used the bad materials and many different f2f brands use the same manufacturers equipment, also appliances,and mechanical, that's why there all based in Elkhart .
Old 06-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #4

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doreen View Post
I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and the vinyl seats are peeling. Has anyone else had that problem? I think it is from the extreme heat we are experiencing in Central Florida and my Vegas spends a good amount of time parked in an open storage lot between outings. Has anyone had the vinyl seats (front and sofa) reupholstered? What is the approximate cost? And did you have them reupholstered in the same vinyl?
You mean like the before pic below? Ours was shedding like a Newfy dog in summer. Does not have much to do with sun. We have two recliners in the house that are starting to do the same after a few years. Furniture company will not do anything or neither will the mfg. A lot of bad stuff came out of China from what I read and got onto a lot of furniture. This in addition to the plandemic WuFlu.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0125201251_HDR.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	24545

The below pic is our cheap fix. Ordered some seat covers from CW I think. You can do a search on forum if interested or I can look it up. The white blotch on seat is glare. So far they have been good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0125201203_HDR.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	24546
Old 06-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
It's the furniture manufacturers that used the bad materials and many different f2f brands use the same manufacturers equipment, also appliances,and mechanical, that's why there all based in Elkhart .
Very true, many different folks have complained and Tiffin and another actually changed out some awhile back

There was a large lot of bad material a few years back that got into many levels of RV's
Old 06-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #6

THOR #4093
Do you think it would be covered by my extended warranty insurance coverage?
Old 06-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #7

THOR #4093
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Do you think it would be covered by my extended warranty insurance coverage?
Extended warranty may not but if you bought the interior protection package sold by most dealers that should cover the flaking.

I had a couple of small spots on my Accolade covered under the factory warranty a couple months ago. The dealer had an upholstery shop come in and patch mine. You can't tell there was an issue.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #9

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
You might also check with seat manufacturer.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #10

State: Arkansas
THOR #11577
Yeah unfortunately they all do use the same crap. Mine did but only where the head touches when you sit on them. They are theater seating. Easiest thing to do is just have a guy come out. I mean battling with insurance is a pain in the ass by itself. That’s why I don’t get the extra insurance. I’ll just buy a new one and sell the old one cause I take very good care of my stuff. Makes up a lot of the cost of the new one.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:15 AM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
unfortunately they are only using what Thor specifies.

for the cab seats, I found some Ford factory covers on ebay that came from a van conversion place up there... or maybe even from Thor.

I had also found an aftermarket source that made factory replacements in the factory fabric, factory vinyl, or leather...but they cost a bit more.
www.theseatshop.com I almost went with their leather.....

I found out in my investigation that my chassis came from Ford with fabric seats.
Thor removed those fabric covers and replaced the covers with the garbage that peels.
Now, I found these new Ford vinyl covers that someone took off of a similar chassis and put them on my seats.
They look great. I had to buy a pair of hog ring pliers and learn a bit about upholstery work on youtube...but it was actually fairly easy.

I'm just about to order a sofa replacement as soon as we can settle on which one. I don't have an upholstery shop convenient to me, and I don't really like the air mattress sleeper anyway, so I figure just replacing might be easier.

Then I'll be left with the dinette back cushions which in my case are about 60% fabric and 40% peeling vinyl. I'm either going to find an upholstery shop or try my hand at taking them apart for use as templates to sew up replacements
Old 07-01-2020, 12:30 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
BLW2, appreciate your comments. Please share what you come up with on this. Our Vegas is going to need the front seats and jackknife sofa skins replaced.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:35 AM   #13

Model: Vegas Windsport Chateau C
State: Texas
THOR #14643
Upholstery

We have a great upholstery guy
https://share.icloud.com/photos/05wN...dmaNlsSG9U9rXw
We take them in, he takes the furniture, body shop repairs the fiberglass dings and cracks, I fix all the system breakdowns and then sell what they should have been to start with.
Tires, batteries, generator overhaul, windshield... whatever it takes to make it what we will sell.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0jO7...OOxR_ORD9p_2ng
Old 07-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #14

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Mine are also terrible. Captain chairs, dinette, and sofa all need repaired/replaced. I checked before covid w a boat shop and they said approximately $3000 for all to be redone w good materials. Didn't take yet since discretionary spending was more closely scrutinized at the time!!!
I would like to drive it to them and get firm quote and shop around other shops while I'm out. Thx Dennis.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #15

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We don't have the vinyl problem but we did have it on a house sofa.
Same thing, no warranty. We just tossed it this month and the recliner mechanisms is being used to operate sliding patio doors on the garage. We went full leather. Same thing, no warranty and it's still splashed with vinyl(we assume).
That said,:

Until we 'fixed' the Thor seats by adding washers to the front bolts to get the tilt right, and we like them fine now, we were shopping for king ranch seats to replace our Thor pedwstals.

About the same price as recovering and we have 60,000 miles of test drive on them in our truck.
A logical thought buying seats you know already.

I think the back seats of a truck to match might be measured to fit a dinette.

Just an alternative we were perusing.
Lots of wrecked cars just like the one you're driving now to get seats from.
Leather power heated cooled memory seats....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #16

THOR #2228
Quote:
Having my dinette seats done right now for 2015 Four Winds SK35 the factory vinyl is junk. $400.00 to do both with all new zippers and Velcro. Went with higher quality vinyl.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Don't forget to post some "Before & After" pictures.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
BLW2, appreciate your comments. Please share what you come up with on this. Our Vegas is going to need the front seats and jackknife sofa skins replaced.
I hate that you are having the issue. I was hoping that some of the 2016 units might escape the "peeling" issues...
Old 07-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #19

THOR #19087
Our 2016 Vegas look like new and it’s always been a Florida coach. We bought the extended interior warranty and ours covers all fabric interior damage so I hope yours does too. We keep our shades drawn during storage and avoid getting any chemicals e.g. sunscreen, window cleaner, on it too.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #10201
We had ours done last winter by a man that redoes boat seating. He redone the entire seats. Now they sit back like they are supposed to and are much more comfortable than before. He changed out all the inside cushioning to more quality material. We had them recovered in marine grade vinyl because we have dogs. We paid $300.00 each seat and it only took him a week. Better to get it done in the winter. Folks like that are more hungry. We had the seat covers too, but the seats keep flaking and it comes out from under the covers and ends up on the floor. It basically depends on what you want, how important is it to you, and how much do you want to pay when deciding what to change, replace, or upgrade. We plan on keeping ours for years because you wont get anything for if you trade it in and we have made ours our own, by doing just about all the upgrades you see on the forum, replacing substandard materials, changing things we wanted to, and now we have a coach we like and enjoy going in. Welcome have fun and stay safe

Tags
peeling, seats, sofa, upholstery