Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You just have to save that information for when it is most advantageous:
Like when you've made a huge mistake...
...or bought something not on the budget...
...or found a REALLY cool toy that you can't live without!

Dangle the one-pound BLT in front of her, and all will be forgiven.

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Camping World Appointment Complete

We arrived on time 758a. They had me signed in by 830a. They took my RV back at 9a. We shopped around Camping World store and purchased $78 of crap.

At noon I checked on RV and was told info was being typed into computer and that I was complete.

1215p I was told that recall to steps was not necessary because previous owner had replaced steps. Regarding wipers, was told that nuts were too rusted to be removed, but wipers were leveled as much as possible. They recommended that I replace wiper assemblies on both sides (at my cost). They will text me with the estimate later.

We departed at 1230p and was eating a nice meal at Lanes Packing on US96 by 120p.

That's how my appointment went at Camping World. Oh, I was unable to speak with the mechanic working on my RV because he did not speak english.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
At least you know that your steps are good to go!
But what kind of mechanic is unable to deal with rusty nuts?
Old 09-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #24

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
"Rusty Nuts"??? Did someone call me??? I musta fell asleep.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #25

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
1. The steps didn't need replaced?
2. A mechanic that "can't speak English" doesn't know how to remove rusted nuts?

I glad you're satisfied with the level of service you received and I truly wish you the best of luck, but I'm afraid my B.S. meter would have jumped off the scale and we would have ended up in the GM's office for a discussion!
Old 09-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"Rusty Nuts"??? Did someone call me??? I musta fell asleep.
Your "ears" must have been ringing off the hook!
Old 09-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #27

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Exclamation So what you are saying is Camping World did Nothing!!

I read the steps were already fixed and the mechanic can't get the nuts off to mean we did not do anything but waste a day of your life for nothing. And you wasted $78 bucks at the Camping World store. The positive you can take down the road is they did nothing at least the did not break anything!!! Or maybe the murphied the wiper nuts so bad no one will get them off in the future.

I took a motorhome to camping world Chatanooga for winterization because I was heading from Florida to Canada and it was still winter in the north. They were supposed to replace the coolant with winter grade. Well as I travelled north the coolant level kept dropping and I kept adding it as I was expecting the system was burping air bubbles. Not really I woke up in Iowa to the motel owner complaining my motorhome was peeing on his nice parking lot. It was not frozen, but camping world had not reinstalled clamps on the cooling system and the rad hose had fallen off... Cost a couple hundred to get it on a lift and get some clamps and new coolant. No word from Camping World when I sent them the bill. I was lucky I had only polluted the highways in about 7 states. No it was not a Thor product but a Winnebago and it was not warranty work but cash money on the table.

3 camping world maintenance experiences, and all 3 were epic fails. I may but stuff at their store but never from sales or service...
Old 09-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #28

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
Nuts

I purchased a new Thor Class A from that Bryon CW and now I will not even go there for any reason, much less allow them to fool around with my rusty nuts. Bye the way if you own a Thor with rusty nuts, Lowes has stainless steel replacements that are affordable before you also get sticky rusty nuts.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:03 AM   #29

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Well, someone said it, I was so happy that they did not break anything that I forgot to be mad that it was a wasted trip.

They did tell me that I needed to reseal my front and rear end caps. I will do that next week.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:17 AM   #30

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Sounds like all they're good for is hiring illegal aliens to not fix squat.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #31

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEroad View Post
I purchased a new Thor Class A from that Bryon CW and now I will not even go there for any reason, much less allow them to fool around with my rusty nuts. Bye the way if you own a Thor with rusty nuts, Lowes has stainless steel replacements that are affordable before you also get sticky rusty nuts.

I hope my nuts never get rusty.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #32

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Very serious disease rusty nuts. Starts as a simple case of "Beer Nuts", advances into "Rusty Nuts" and if left untreated turns into the dreaded "Cotton Balls".
Old 09-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
Very serious disease rusty nuts. Starts as a simple case of "Beer Nuts", advances into "Rusty Nuts" and if left untreated turns into the dreaded "Cotton Balls".
I think that my Cousin Darlene suffered from that...
Old 09-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #34

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I think that my Cousin Darlene suffered from that...
Oieee Vay! I got ta call dat Goyim doctor and ast him what I'm gonna do about dat affliction (rusty nuts). My cousin, he says dat what I gets for parkin on the beach in Floida and dancing wit all those girls dat was FOB (dat means fresh off the boat). Looked at my arm and found a phone there, which I immediately rubbed out, so no Corpus delicious so to speak and innocent in the eyes of the law. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't, but I got uhhh, bigger fish to fry, uhh take care of.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #35

State: Georgia
THOR #9393
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
FWIW: The CW in Byron is a good store. I stop there often for RV stocks when traveling I-75. I've gone back and spoke to service peeps about different things and twice they've walked out and looked at things for me. Each day is a new day and it depends on which side of the bed they awoke. I think the bad rap on CW follows the same bad rap scenario of anything else...only the people that had bad experiences are the ones that scream and shout. And NO...this is not a paid advertisement. Good luck with your appointment and give us a report. Call me when you pass through Stockbridge and I'll buy the coffee...there's a new Krispy Kreme here at Exit 228...I'm 2 minutes from there and they all know my name (not good).
Hey ...we are in Stockbridge too! We have an ACE. What do you have?
Old 09-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #36

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Texas
THOR #1403
Well hope you get yours fixed. We have a 2015 Thor Challenger and an appointment Oct 5th for the very same two recalls but only for a "inspection"
Our Camping World said all they are allowed to do is to tighten the acorn nuts on the wipers as described in the recall 17V-162 instructions. So we only have the inspection appointment and will have to work from there even though our wipers failed on our road trip through Dallas earlier this month. So out on the road in the rain we did try and see if the acorn nuts or anything else was loose to cause the right side wiper to fall all the way left and out of sight, but found nothing loose especially the acorn nuts! It looks like the apparatus moving the two wipers on the inside is what is faulty
We were able to put it back in position out on the road but then it would just repeat that malfunction every time it started to rain again and we needed to turn on the wipers.
It seems to us we need a new unit replacement as others have said they have gotten and I assume you are going to get so fell lucky your Camping World is ordering your parts B4 you come in.
As for the step recall we were told it depends on what type step was used on the Motor Home, There is no readable information on our step to say what manufacturer made the step so again have to just come in for inspection and hope someone knows what to look for B4 they can order any parts.
So for us we may not have a long drive as you said you have but we have to play the game now and hope they can determine the need for replacement parts and then order them for us to get the recall correct but in 2 separate visits.
When I first called the recording said they were scheduling appointments for Nov. Then I got a call back from the serviced advisor saying he had a cancellation so bring it in for the inspection.
So not only are we stuck now with winter coming as I do not dare get on the road with a faulty wiper problem, and that we have already experienced but have to wait and see if they will order any needed parts the recall calls for and then when the fix it appointment will be made
I did talk with a person at Thor who handles the recall stuff and he could not give me any more help but to say you need to take it to an authorized dealer. The first one very close to us will not do any work on RV's and Motor Homes they have not sold, so they (for the 2nd time) have flat out said no to us because we bought our Thor Motor Home in a different state. So Camping World who is known to always have a huge back log or long waiting list for appointments was our next best choice.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Oieee Vay! I got ta call dat Goyim doctor and ast him what I'm gonna do about dat affliction (rusty nuts). My cousin, he says dat what I gets for parkin on the beach in Floida and dancing wit all those girls dat was FOB (dat means fresh off the boat). Looked at my arm and found a phone there, which I immediately rubbed out, so no Corpus delicious so to speak and innocent in the eyes of the law. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't, but I got uhhh, bigger fish to fry, uhh take care of.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1537653979
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 01.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	13006  
Old 09-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #38

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Florida
THOR #11425
I had the same wiper recall on my 2014 Hurricane. After having the recall "done twice" and each time then having the the driver wiper pin itself at 11 o'clock and the passenger wiper drop dried to 6 o'clock (really! It went straight down) I contacted Thor. They said "everything"needed to be replaced. They sent a humongous carton to me that contained a motor, all the steel connectors, willets wiper arms and even new blades. Four hours later the new ones work like a charm.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:44 PM   #39

State: Georgia
THOR #9393
Try Woodstock

I have been to Byron several times. I recommend that you go to Woodstock instead. North side of Atlanta and incredibly small lounge to wait in but the service/experience/knowledge much better.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #40

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: New Mexico
THOR #5168
We have a 2015 Thor Hurricane 34J that went through the recall repair but on our trip the wipers flopped all over and hit each other. Two on the road repairs did not work. Just had the full assembly replaced at the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa, Indiana. Test your repair with water on the windshield and while driving at highway speed before you hit the road for a trip.