Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2021, 11:13 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #23894
Still working on the photo upload...but in the meantime does anyone want to buy a 2021 Thor Sequence w/ only 9000 miles on it?!? OK, just kidding but Paul would like me to ask: Our freshwater plumbing diagram shows an ANTIFREEZE PORT ADJACENT TO THE FRESHWATER TANK IN THE PUMP LINE. This is not mentioned in any winterizing information from the manual. The manual says to use city fill port to fill all the lines with antifreeze. Nowhere is this antifreeze port mentioned in the winterizing process. Should this port be used instead of city fill?? Or is it just a vent. If we are supposed to use this antifreeze port how do we use it? If we're supposed to use this antifreeze port - we don't have the right fitting to attach the hose. It's not a standard hose thread. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Old 10-24-2021, 11:28 PM   #42
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstieler@gmail@gmail.com View Post
Still working on the photo upload...but in the meantime does anyone want to buy a 2021 Thor Sequence w/ only 9000 miles on it?!? OK, just kidding but Paul would like me to ask: Our freshwater plumbing diagram shows an ANTIFREEZE PORT ADJACENT TO THE FRESHWATER TANK IN THE PUMP LINE. This is not mentioned in any winterizing information from the manual. The manual says to use city fill port to fill all the lines with antifreeze. Nowhere is this antifreeze port mentioned in the winterizing process. Should this port be used instead of city fill?? Or is it just a vent. If we are supposed to use this antifreeze port how do we use it? If we're supposed to use this antifreeze port - we don't have the right fitting to attach the hose. It's not a standard hose thread. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Did you get a small hose in the manual bag for your coach or is there one under a dinette bench or bed? If that port exists that is what should be used.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:31 PM   #43

THOR #23894
Hmmm, we will look! We bought this van used...only 4000 mi on it and don't remember getting a little hose - But will look thoroughly in case it's there and for some reason we never saw it.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:24 AM   #44
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I can and I also did on my Challenger for 5 years. The one thing I have to do is reverse the screen filter on the city water inlet so the pump will suck in the antifreeze.

It all depends on how the water system is plumbed and installed. Not all rigs are the same.
Quote:
To the OP, when you are connecting the siphon hose to city water did you reverse the screen at the water inlet. On my rig if I do not reverse that screen the pump will siphon the antifreeze at a rate of one gallon per year. With the screen reversed the pump siphons as it should and the the antifreeze is under pressure in the lines.

Not sure your rig is the same but that is how mine works. The Challenger was the same way.
So on these rigs the pressurized city water connects to the suction side of the onboard pump and pushes through the pump to provide water to the supply header for the faucets? And there has to be a check valve in that suction line to prevent the city water from backflowing into the fresh water supply tank.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:02 AM   #45

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So on these rigs the pressurized city water connects to the suction side of the onboard pump and pushes through the pump to provide water to the supply header for the faucets? And there has to be a check valve in that suction line to prevent the city water from backflowing into the fresh water supply tank.
I guess, I could theoretically do this too with City Connection?

I have a City Fresh Water Valve that I turn to FILL to put water in Freshwater Tank and to NORMAL if I want the city water line to pressurized the Fresh water Supply Lines. But why use an external pump when you already have a pump that does exactly that ?

But at least it could be done without the RV Antifreeze going into the Fresh water tank. As long as heater is bypassed it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3651.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	34442  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:12 AM   #46
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Wet bay control center

Click image for larger version

Name:	FF165683-F927-4CF8-A3D3-36AC92E689E1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	34443
Old 10-25-2021, 02:06 AM   #47

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Why?
From the ops first post, and I quote, "We have printed out the "schematics" but we must be missing something because we can't pump the fluid in."

To me this sounds like they are using an external manual pump.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:19 AM   #48

THOR #23894
Yes we attempted to use an external manual pump. It filled the filter cavity but didn't fill further. Maybe a valve is in the wrong position...?
Old 10-25-2021, 02:22 AM   #49
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Yes we attempted to use an external manual pump. It filled the filter cavity but didn't fill further. Maybe a valve is in the wrong position...?
If you are set to use city water the manual pump should work. I have done this numerous times on all rigs.

If you have a whole house filter you can buy a metal disk to put in the housing so the filter doesn’t waste antifreeze, remove the filter element, install the disk and then winterize.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:02 AM   #50
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Wet bay control center

Attachment 34443
That Control Center is not on the OP's "Thor Sequence Class B camper van", most Class C's, and smaller Class A's, or any Travel Trailer I have seen so the only way to put anti-freeze in through the city water connection with those RVs is with an external pump. But generally, those RVs are winterized with anti-freeze using the internal water pump and a suction connection for the winterizing hose to the gallon of anti-freeze as shown at 3:15 in this video:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:04 AM   #51

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
From the ops first post, and I quote, "We have printed out the "schematics" but we must be missing something because we can't pump the fluid in."

To me this sounds like they are using an external manual pump.
Agreed as this is clear because they said can't pump fluid in, when for most it is suction from the 1 gallon bottle. Based on picture from EA37TS if that is wet control center is siphoned in by suction. Pretty clear to me, but maybe they missing the suction hose and that is the problem. I am gonna go radio and hang up and listen from here on out
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-25-2021, 03:06 AM   #52

THOR #23894
Paul says, "Interesting idea. I've never heard of this disk. Do you get this disk at a camping store?"
Old 10-25-2021, 03:11 AM   #53

THOR #13058
Quote:
That Control Center is not on the OP's "Thor Sequence Class B camper van", most Class C's, and smaller Class A's, or any Travel Trailer I have seen so the only way to put anti-freeze in through the city water connection with those RVs is with an external pump. But generally, those RVs are winterized with anti-freeze using the internal water pump and a suction connection for the winterizing hose to the gallon of anti-freeze as shown at 3:15 in this video:

That's it
Thor makes some nice videos. On a new 2021 it is hard to believe an external pump is required; but who knows. I stop when lines are air dry any way.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:13 AM   #54

THOR #23894
Thank you all so much. Great information!
Old 10-25-2021, 03:23 AM   #55
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Paul says, "Interesting idea. I've never heard of this disk. Do you get this disk at a camping store?"
Amazon. Search for winterizing by pass plate. It is made by Watts.

https://www.amazon.com/Watts-FP-WP100-Winterizing-Pass-Plate/dp/B001QY1LA2
Old 10-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #56

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
In the video in post #53 above, go to the 3:15 minute point in the video. You need to find where the water pump is on your van. Look at the video and you'll see a part of the plumbing going to the water pump that ends at a large white plug on the end of a piece of plumbing. That short piece of plumbing should be the anti freeze SUCTIONING line.

You'd remove that plug and screw a fitting into it. The fitting should end in a piece of brass tubing where you slide a long piece of clear hose on to it. You'd then put the end of the tubing hose down into the bottle of anti freeze.

Then you's open one faucet at a time as you run the water pump.

So what you are doing is siphoning antifreeze out of the bottle into your lines using the water pump.

What you have been trying to do is pump the anti freeze in through the city water connection and that hasn't been working. You need to suck the anti freeze out of the bottle using the water pump.

In addition, your RV has the Truma Combi on demand hot water heater. Here is a video about winterizing the Combi:
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #57

THOR #23894
Thx! Google ing it now.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:52 PM   #58

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
Yes, it has to go through the pump, not the city water connection.
Should be a couple valves to open and close, and a tube to draw it out of the antifreeze container. aslo a bypass for the water heater.
Hope you have some luck in the morning, never any fun.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:26 PM   #59

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If there is a suction port on the pump, it should be capped with a threaded plug. Remove that plug and take it to a big box hardware. Find an adapter that matches those threads, and a 3' length of poly tubing that fits on the adapter.

You then can screw the adapter into the suction port, and stick the other end of the poly tubing into a gallon of pink RV antifreeze. Turn on the pump...
Old 10-30-2021, 11:52 PM   #60

Model: Tellaro 20AT
State: Illinois
THOR #21347
Facebook group

I highly recommend joining the FB group for Thor Sequence and Tellaro Owners and Wannabes - extraordinarily helpful about any number of topics, including winterizing. We have a Tellaro AT, and someone just posted a winterizing video.