Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Please, Please HELP !!!

I have a 2016 Axis 25.2 and the 12v power point located in the center dash is not working. I researched and checked every fuse I can find with a test light and still nothing. I even checked for power at the socket. I see there are 2 huge wires connected to the socket, 1 blue and 1 white, maybe 10 gauge. Why so big, that little 12v socket can't begin to carry that much amperage for what its designed for. My frustration level is over the top, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin
Why so big, that little 12v socket can't begin to carry that much amperage for what its designed for.
Probably legacy: Those sockets were originally the cigarette lighter which does use a lot of current.

Since all of the suggestions for the fuse have failed (in that all the fuses you looked at were good) I would start looking for broken fuses. It is possible Thor wired yours to a different--undocumented--fuse.

Have you asked Thor for the 12V wiring diagram for your coach? (You can send them a request on this page: https://thormotorcoach.com/customer-care/ )

Finally I would attempt to disassemble the dash and start following the wires around; perhaps one is disconnected somewhere. I've had that part of the dash apart..it isn't that difficult (there are four "hidden" bolts/nuts in each corner. Two at the top and two at the bottom. The bolts are glued into the plastic. You reach around from the bottom to get to the bottom two nuts, and you have to remove the radio to get to the top two.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
My bad fuse for this accessory/outlet on my 2017 Axis 24.1 was located under the hood on drivers side black box towards front. It was a 30 amp pink new kind of fuse in location #70.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
You may also want to replace the power point - mine was really poorly built. If it loosens up, then it will probably short out. Because the wire are 10 gauge and its a 30 amp fuse, I was able to add three power points in place of the old one.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:47 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunter View Post
My bad fuse for this accessory/outlet on my 2017 Axis 24.1 was located under the hood on drivers side black box towards front. It was a 30 amp pink new kind of fuse in location #70.
Bingo, that was it. My dumb a$$ checked all the fuses that I was familiar with. As you noted I've never seen this type of fuse before and there is no way to check it with a test light. I called Thor and the service guy was very nice and told me to check Fuse #70. Pulled the fuse and checked it with a digital volt meter. Open circuit yeah!!!! Thanks you guys for helping out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160803_191059.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	2638  
Old 08-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Probably legacy: Those sockets were originally the cigarette lighter which does use a lot of current.

.....cut....
Not only that, but 30 Amps at 12 Volts isn't really all that much power.

I have two on my van's dash, one always hot and other through ignition. Occasionally I use one to power a portable 400 Watt inverter, so I have to limit power below inverter rating.

30 Amps takes a good size wire, so it seems Thor got wire size right.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #4968
Ford chassis, so...Ford did that.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba_pete View Post
Ford chassis, so...Ford did that.
Although I could be wrong, I believe on the stripped chassis the power points are installed by Thor. The cutaway chassis (class C models) will have Ford installed power points.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Although I could be wrong, I believe on the stripped chassis the power points are installed by Thor. The cutaway chassis (class C models) will have Ford installed power points.
Agree -- on Class Cs pretty much everything from the b-pillars forward is Ford.

On Class As, whether F53 or E-Series (Axis/Vegas), a lot of equipment normally associated with driving (or the cab) is not by Ford.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #10

State: Washington
THOR #4968
Ah...
Old 08-07-2017, 04:50 AM   #11

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
I checked an automotive electrical cabling guide. It had a matrix that showed a 30 amp 12v circuit needed a #10 guage wire to be used for up to a distance of 15 feet. 18 guage would be OK for just 3 feet.
In the 120 volt AC world a 30 amp circuit also uses #10 guage wire but can be run a great distance, several hundred feet. (Higher voltage makes the difference).
Old 08-07-2017, 06:52 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
You are right, the power point(s) are installed by THOR, however, the cabling for the power point(s) appear to be part of the original FORD design.

I just spent the weekend crawling through the dash wiring of our VEGAS and there are two (2) sets of wires for two 12v power points. On ours, one is connected to an active power point on the dash, the second was not connected to anything. So I "re-routed" to use for powering a GPS, TIREMINDER, and DIGITAL DISPLAY for ODBC II