Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #17066
Batteries over charging

Sorry it probably been asked a million times but I couldn't find anything. U have a new 2019 Thor Ace 30.3 and I had it plugged into shore power. When I plug into shore power a light automatically kick's on by my steps which is my master toggle switch. I had it plugged in for a month or so thinking all would be good but it fryer my batteries. What am I not doing right? I had assumed you could leave it plugged in and it would just maintain the batteries. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcrace View Post
Sorry it probably been asked a million times but I couldn't find anything. U have a new 2019 Thor Ace 30.3 and I had it plugged into shore power. When I plug into shore power a light automatically kick's on by my steps which is my master toggle switch. I had it plugged in for a month or so thinking all would be good but it fryer my batteries. What am I not doing right? I had assumed you could leave it plugged in and it would just maintain the batteries. Thank you in advance.
The light on the master power switch only shows the master power switch has power it does NOT indicate the position of the latching relay which is under the bed. If the is no power to the coach and if the interior lights will not come on using the switch, the latching relay is in the off position . Other than a voltage monitor, this is the only to ensure the latching relay is in the on or off position. With a voltage monitor or VOM, you can easily check or the battery's condition and the converter's output. If the master power on and the converter's working, the converter's output to the battery will be 13.1 to 13.5 volts depending on the temperature of the converter. If the house battery is low, the voltage may be as high as 14.3 volt during bulk charging. You should never see voltages above 14.5 volts unless the batteries are being equalized. This option is only available on the more expensive MC.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:51 PM   #3

THOR #17066
So if I go in vacation for two months and I'm at the same location plugged into power is there something different I should do so my batteries don't go dry. It's a task to check the water in the batteries in this beast. Thank you
Old 02-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcrace View Post
So if I go in vacation for two months and I'm at the same location plugged into power is there something different I should do so my batteries don't go dry. It's a task to check the water in the batteries in this beast. Thank you
With flooded batteries, in the cooler months checking the water monthly is all that is necessary even if continually on shore power. In the summer, when the temps are above 80 degrees, you probably need to check the water level every two weeks.
Most of us have installed the Flow-Rite Quick Fill system. It is impossible to accurately check the water level both group 29 batteries in my Hurricane unless the batteries are removed. <RVupgrades.com> sells the system.
Most MC converters assume the batteries are at the same temperature as the converter. If the batteries are in the sunshine and the A/C is on in the coach, the batteries can easily boil on hot days.

Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #5

THOR #17066
Thank you for all your help, I ordered a fill system and now understand about my batteries. Thanks for your assistance.