Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RW28
State: Florida
THOR #15031
Plumbing problem, with RV not me!

We took our rw28 out last week for 4 days and when we got to the state park and went to put out our LR slide I heard a loud pop. Looked around and found that the P-Trap under the kitchen sink snapped off at the sink. I called Thor and they said it needs to go to a dealer for warranty service but the 4 local dealers refused to accept it for warranty. I don't really want to take it back down to General RV in tampa and leave it for weeks. So I wondered if I could replace it myself. Here's the problem, what is installed in the RV does not match the Thor illustration and parts list. This might explain why we have had a constant leak under the kitchen sink. We have a number of trips booked over the next few months but need the sink fixed. What do you suggest?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	22697  

Old 02-23-2020, 04:12 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
As someone whose grandson works at the local hardware. Take ALL the parts from the P trap to your local hardware and have them try to match it up. I suggest the local hardware and not the big box store as you should get someone that knows plumbing and not some kid that works in 3 or 4 different departments
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Wow! That pretty much looks like a hodge-podge from the factory. Do you stiil have a tailpiece from your sink?

My experience here in Florida (the land of retirees) is that you will find an older, wiser, experienced guy at Lowes or Home Depot that can point you in the right direction. They actually have "universal" drain kits that may be the easiest route to go:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SnappyTr...-100/300069575
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpiercemagic View Post
We took our rw28 out last week for 4 days and when we got to the state park and went to put out our LR slide I heard a loud pop. Looked around and found that the P-Trap under the kitchen sink snapped off at the sink. I called Thor and they said it needs to go to a dealer for warranty service but the 4 local dealers refused to accept it for warranty. I don't really want to take it back down to General RV in tampa and leave it for weeks. So I wondered if I could replace it myself. Here's the problem, what is installed in the RV does not match the Thor illustration and parts list. This might explain why we have had a constant leak under the kitchen sink. We have a number of trips booked over the next few months but need the sink fixed. What do you suggest?
You mention General RV. This should be a camping critical item and not have to be left with the dealer for weeks. You might want to give them a call. I imagine they would have all necessary parts for kitchen sink plumbing in stock. Under Camping Critical this should be an in and out while you wait repair.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I would start at the sink and replace the factory installed p-trap with parts from a local plumbing supply. I have found that when I need plumbing help a trip to Ferguson gives me the parts and all the suggestions on what to do. It may be cheaper than the fuel required to take the camper back to the dealer.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Why are local dealers saying or able to say they refuse to accept it under warranty? Does that mean Thor agrees that it is NOT under warranty? I bought from a dealer in Florida as well, but live in Dallas. There were a few items that needed warranty from the actual Dealer in Florida like missing awning retract key, damaged grill that mfg had a local dealer process; but the originating dealer had to own the cost. Other items that were true Mfg warranty items had to be done by local dealer once the authorization was provided.

In your case, it does seem like a pretty easy do it yourself; but one question may be missing. What happend to make it break? Since slide was moving, I am going to assume that you had some power line or cable that snagged out got hung on the plumbing? When it is repaired I would look for root cause so it doesn't happen again. I assumed it work at originally with no issues? Maybe over time it loosened the connection thus the leak,and eventually it got so tight it snapped?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #7

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Wow! That pretty much looks like a hodge-podge from the factory. Do you stiil have a tailpiece from your sink?

My experience here in Florida (the land of retirees) is that you will find an older, wiser, experienced guy at Lowes or Home Depot that can point you in the right direction. They actually have "universal" drain kits that may be the easiest route to go:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SnappyTr...-100/300069575
+1 I've been saved many times by the older plumbers at both, they are assigned to plumbing.

Jeff did it break the sink or drain? Looks like it popped off, a pic off the bottom of the sink would help.

If the sink and drain fitting aren't broken then this looks like an easy diy.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Why are local dealers saying or able to say they refuse to accept it under warranty? Does that mean Thor agrees that it is NOT under warranty? I bought from a dealer in Florida as well, but live in Dallas. There were a few items that needed warranty from the actual Dealer in Florida like missing awning retract key, damaged grill that mfg had a local dealer process; but the originating dealer had to own the cost. Other items that were true Mfg warranty items had to be done by local dealer once the authorization was provided.

In your case, it does seem like a pretty easy do it yourself; but one question may be missing. What happend to make it break? Since slide was moving, I am going to assume that you had some power line or cable that snagged out got hung on the plumbing? When it is repaired I would look for root cause so it doesn't happen again. I assumed it work at originally with no issues? Maybe over time it loosened the connection thus the leak,and eventually it got so tight it snapped?
Because they did not buy the coach from those dealers they are not going to work on a unit they did not sell.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Because they did not buy the coach from those dealers they are not going to work on a unit they did not sell.
When all of our stars aligned it was a Winnebago; so we don't own a Thor, but are you saying a Thor Authorized Dealer does NOT have to work on to fix an authorized Thor repair?

I have crossed dealers that say they won't take new customers unless you buy from them, but NOT an authorized Mfg warranty repair?

I can even see why a dealer may not wish to honor the warranty of a ESP (one of the reasons I will not buy one), but that is outside of Mfg. Is OP talking about an authorized repair from Thor? Seems like Dealer if Authorized would be required to Service all Mfg warranty items?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 02-23-2020, 11:26 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
...but are you saying a Thor Authorized Dealer does NOT have to work on to fix an authorized Thor repair? ...
That is the way it is across the industry and with most manufacturers and dealers. If you buy a RV somewhere else your local dealer does not have to perform warranty repair on it and there is nothing you can do except leave and try another dealer. Most dealers are not willing to accept the reduced labor rates and time to repair for units on which they did not make the sales profit. There are some exception to this and in most of those cases the unit will come in on a resource available basis meaning it gets done after all of the dealers buying customers are completed first.

Go ahead and save a few hundred dollars by buying a rig 500 miles away but be prepared to drive 500 miles for warranty service from the selling dealer.

Thor has a disclaimer about using local dealers on their web site. The warranty for my coach even says to contact the "selling dealer" for warranty repair and if they are not available to call Entegra for assistance.

It was the same way with my Forest River a few years back.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:07 AM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
That is the way it is across the industry and with most manufacturers and dealers. If you buy a RV somewhere else your local dealer does not have to perform warranty repair on it and there is nothing you can do except leave and try another dealer. Most dealers are not willing to accept the reduced labor rates and time to repair for units on which they did not make the sales profit. There are some exception to this and in most of those cases the unit will come in on a resource available basis meaning it gets done after all of the dealers buying customers are completed first.

Go ahead and save a few hundred dollars by buying a rig 500 miles away but be prepared to drive 500 miles for warranty service from the selling dealer.

Thor has a disclaimer about using local dealers on their web site. The warranty for my coach even says to contact the "selling dealer" for warranty repair and if they are not available to call Entegra for assistance.

It was the same way with my Forest River a few years back.
Wow, we got extra lucky then. The irony is that every Thor that we tried to buy there was something wrong that was supposed to be covered by selling dealer that we never got commitment it would be repaired. Thanks to this site we walked from both of those deals. Then the 29VE Winnebago comes along. The one that we bought had more options built in that the local dealers did not have; so we fly 1200 miles to Florida and drive it back over 5 days shakedown trip. We save $1,000s and the plane tickets and gas cost to get back was chump change compared to the savings. However; we found some things we missed during PDI. No way we drive 1200 miles back to Florida; but it never came up as Winnebago put us in touch with a local dealer that we did not buy from; and that dealer is taking care of all of the warranty work. On my side since the local dealer Service was so good, I had them quote & install my EC-30 and Disconnect Switch. Of course I paid their rate. Given what you are saying, I may have helped myself because I gave them all kinds of positive on Google Review.

I can only assume the extended warranty plans would be even worse? I am so glad I didn't buy one. I will say this, Winnebago is constantly trying to get us to go to Forest City Iowa for any kind of service we may need. That is good drive from Dallas as well, so I hope my local dealer keeps taking care of us. In 9 months; we will be at the regular rate (out of warranty); so I would think it would be good business for a RV Service center to build the relationship.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:16 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
My experience with Thor warranty issues was different. We bought from a dealer a thousand miles from home, not to save hundreds, but thousands. Delivery costs and trade-in was enough cheaper to cover the cost of an auto leveling system.

We needed a problem addressed and Thor gave us the number of 3 dealers. The first two said two or three weeks, the third said to bring it in. Turned out to be a quick fix.

Towards the end of the warranty, we needed two items fixed and a new windshield (early 2016 tall windshield issue). No problem with a local dealer fixing the first two, but they refused to let the windshield install be done there by an installer. Another local dealer handled it in a timely manner.

I expect that if there were no authorized dealers, Thor would have covered the work of a mobile tech. Your results may vary...
Old 02-24-2020, 12:40 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Extended warranty repairs are good money for the dealer. They basically send their quote for repairs to insurance company and if their pricing isn’t totally out of line they get go ahead to make repairs. Theoretically you pay the deductible and everybody is all smiles. You get the coach back and the dealer makes a good buck.

Factory service the mfgr supplies the parts, no mark up for the dealer, and they set the labor hours for the listed repair. If the servicing dealer runs over on labor they have to fight with the mfgr for the difference. This is why Thor is happy to send warranty repair parts to an individual making their own repairs.

It’s a BS system but it is the same in the auto industry as well. I doubt much has changed since I turned wrenches on Chrysler/ Plymouths warranty flat rate hours for the same repairs were generally 20% less than non warranty work.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:47 AM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Plumbing is plumbing. #$$% goes down hill. Nothing exotic about RV/s. Go to local hardware store. Not big box store. It might cost you about $15.00
Old 02-24-2020, 01:49 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Extended warranty repairs are good money for the dealer. They basically send their quote for repairs to insurance company and if their pricing isn’t totally out of line they get go ahead to make repairs. Theoretically you pay the deductible and everybody is all smiles. You get the coach back and the dealer makes a good buck.

Factory service the mfgr supplies the parts, no mark up for the dealer, and they set the labor hours for the listed repair. If the servicing dealer runs over on labor they have to fight with the mfgr for the difference. This is why Thor is happy to send warranty repair parts to an individual making their own repairs.

It’s a BS system but it is the same in the auto industry as well. I doubt much has changed since I turned wrenches on Chrysler/ Plymouths warranty flat rate hours for the same repairs were generally 20% less than non warranty work.
I transfer to my name a 7 year extended warranty for at the time a basically brand new Chaparral 29. We went 6 years and nothing that ever went wrong was ever included with the warranty. I was always out of pocket including $500 bucks just to get it pulled out of the water for any service or repairs. (I did not have a trailer) Then finally one day the Fridge in the Galley goes out & it was covered under warranty!!!! ( I was so excited) It had a $100 deductible but the ESP would not pay to remove the Fridge at the Marina. I had to pay out of pocket to get the fridge to the Authorized repair center they provided. Their repair center wanted an additional $600 to come on side at the marina just to get the Fridge. So I figure out how to take it out myself and take it to the center. 4 weeks later they tell me the compressor was out and that the cost to replace with new compressor was $638 less my $100 deductible so the ESP was going to cover the $538. A brand new Fridge like what I had at the time was $398. I tried to get the ESP to just pay $298 and I pay the rest; they would not do. I knew then I would never want a ESP. I paid the $100 deductible and the put a new compressor on 6 year old Fridge.

I figure my ordeal applies to RV because there is always some delays or drama about what will be covered or not. The way I see it, I have $7k in the bank that I can invest and spend on repairs when and where I need without the headache.

Mfg warranty is something else, that is what Authorized dealers are for.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #16

Model: Outlaw 38MB
THOR #7397
There is a small dealer/repair place in Sebring who WILL take your repair and work with Thor for warranty. If you take it to a big dealer, they will keep it a month or more. Because they ALL do it. The place is called South Trails RV. They are very responsive.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:43 PM   #17

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
There is a mobile RV repairman in the Tampa area who does Warranty work. At least he did on our ACE with our extended warranty. You might see if there is someone in your area like that. It was great. He came & figured out what was needed, did the warranty paperwork and once the warranty company approved the work he got the parts. Only then did he come back to do the work. None of that taking it to the dealer for months at a time for 3 days of work.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:26 PM   #18

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Ditto on doing it yourself. Look to be sure no snagging lines or parts then do it yourself. Drain systems are low risk for DIY repair, visible to check for leaks and low pressure system.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:46 PM   #19

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
I had the shower drain fitting under the shower pan come loose and flooded the floor the first time we took out our 2017 Thor Axis 25.2. TALK ABOUT A FUN TIME!!! I was pissed. Thor sent me some parts but all of them were worthless. I went to a local plumbing supply house. Lowe's only has residential connectors and even the threads are different. This supply house had exactly what I needed and with some good ole' field engineering I fixed it better than the original set up. Just roll up your sleeves and find a jobber or maybe an RV supplier that has what you need and you'll be fine!! Bob Trice