Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2021, 09:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum KW29
State: Alabama
THOR #19175
Plumbing in The Slides

Our Quantum Class C has the kitchen sink in the slide out. My neighbor noticed water running out under the length of the slide.
I found the flex drain hose had pulled loose on one of the connections. Upon inspection it is easy to see why it pulled loose. The flex hose has barbed fittings on both ends which the factory connected using a slip joint nut to the PVC fitting. This is not a secure fitting and the factory knows it. They used nylon ties around the hard piped fitting and the flex hose in an attempt to keep the pipe from separating. They were not successful. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7929.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	29619 It has been repaired and will not pull apart now while letting the slide in and out.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:10 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's been pretty well agreed-upon; that plumbing in a slide is a recipe for disaster.
Glad that you were able to get it sealed and secured.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:26 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Yep. Check it often as it’s likely to leak again. Personally, I won’t buy another coach with plumbing in a slide. Lesson learned - or maybe just bad luck in my case. And FWIW my experience as with a Winnebago Vista and perhaps Thor does a better job.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:37 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanN. View Post
It has been repaired and will not pull apart now while letting the slide in and out.
What did you do differently to better secure the joint??
Old 04-06-2021, 03:43 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have had no issues with the plumbing in the slide of my 29M, knock on wood.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:43 AM   #6

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty.Deuce View Post
Look at his picture.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:56 AM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
My 2020 Magnitude has bascially the same plumbing. It leaked during the PDI. The dealer fixed it..... but it started leaking again when I got the coach home.

I fixed it properly and permanently.... like a lot of things on the coach. I fabricated a bracket that kept the fitting from being pulled apart versus relying just on it being secured from hand-tightening.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #8
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Our Quantum Class C has the kitchen sink in the slide out. My neighbor noticed water running out under the length of the slide.
I found the flex drain hose had pulled loose on one of the connections. Upon inspection it is easy to see why it pulled loose. The flex hose has barbed fittings on both ends which the factory connected using a slip joint nut to the PVC fitting. This is not a secure fitting and the factory knows it. They used nylon ties around the hard piped fitting and the flex hose in an attempt to keep the pipe from separating. They were not successful. Attachment 29619 It has been repaired and will not pull apart now while letting the slide in and out.
I recently had the tailpiece nut under the kitchen sink crack so I replaced that and added a rubber coupling (like yours) to the horizontal pipe after the trap. That way any vibrations will not transfer to the fitting in the future. I also removed the straps holding the pipe in position and extended the slide to make sure there was not any stress on it, then reattached the pipe straps.
I also had a cracked nut under the shower pan drain. since it is completely solvent welding to the grey tank, I installed a rubber fitting connecting the tailpiece to the trap so that too will absorb any vibrations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	access door - inside view.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	29631  
Old 04-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #9

THOR #19175
Quote:

The flex pipe Thor used was never meant to be connected with standard plumbing connections using slip joint nuts. It has ribbed plastic ends designed for use with rolled irrigation pipe. No matter how tight the nut was you could easily pull the hose out of the fitting. Needless to say in the cramped quarters with everything else that is running through that area it caught on something and pulled loose allowing sink water to drain inside the slide. I used a short piece of pvc pipe to make the connection with the compression nut then the rubber adaptor with hose clamps to secure the pvc to the ribbed fitting on the flex hose. You can yank on that all day long and it’s not coming loose.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
great job ..i guess we all need to audit our plumbing everywhere!!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:51 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
Quote:
I used a short piece of pvc pipe to make the connection with the compression nut then the rubber adaptor with hose clamps to secure the pvc to the ribbed fitting on the flex hose. You can yank on that all day long and it’s not coming loose.
Thanks! I gotta fix mine too & the solution Thor provided was nonsense. You sourced the parts at the local Lowe's or equivalent?
Old 04-07-2021, 04:56 AM   #12

THOR #19175
Quote:
Thanks! I gotta fix mine too & the solution Thor provided was nonsense. You sourced the parts at the local Lowe's or equivalent?

Yes sir, Lowe’s to the rescue. It cost around $17.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:00 PM   #13

THOR #6826
I’m glad you’re confident in your repair. I did a similar repair on mine (though it is SOB) and that particular repair never leaked again. Alas, the stress of flexing all the time has to go somewhere and mine broke the tailpiece and later kinked the line. It’s always something!
Old 04-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #14

State: British Columbia
THOR #12644
Why do they do that. Slides are problems waiting to happen as it is without putting plumbing and in some cases, gas lines in them. After 2 RV's with slides and 2 sets of issues, I bought one without a slide. Much happier. I don't go camping to stay inside, anyway.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:30 PM   #15

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
Why do they do that. Slides are problems waiting to happen as it is without putting plumbing and in some cases, gas lines in them. After 2 RV's with slides and 2 sets of issues, I bought one without a slide. Much happier. I don't go camping to stay inside, anyway.

I couldn’t go THAT far, but I did make sure I didn’t buy another coach with plumbing (or much of anything more complicated than sofas, beds, dinettes and closets) in the slide. So far so good. If it was just me though I might go slide less.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:54 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Our Outlaw had the kitchen sink in the slide. Fortunately; it never leaked.
Our Wayfarer has the refrigerator in the front slide. (The rear slide has the bed...)
Other than worrying about pinched propane lines; no problems!
Old 04-10-2021, 11:22 PM   #17

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
On a Tiffin bus we had for twelve years, the kitchen sink, stove with its propane lines and Microwave with its wiring were all on a large slide. Never had a problem with any of it in twelve years, so it can be done so it is less likely to cause problems.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:36 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
On a Tiffin bus we had for twelve years, the kitchen sink, stove with its propane lines and Microwave with its wiring were all on a large slide. Never had a problem with any of it in twelve years, so it can be done so it is less likely to cause problems.
I've noticed that Tiffin's Class A beauties aren't shy about having plumbing in the slides.
If it's done right:
Old 04-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #19

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post

Simple answer is that they build RVs that way because people buy them, and since their main goal is to make money, they have to compete with other companies that will make them.

I personally feel very similar to you, in large part because we travel a lot versus stay stationary for long periods, we don’t need much space, and if I want more space, I’d rather drive a longer motorhome with a different floorplan arrangement that provides what I want/need versus adding a slide or two. It’s strictly a personal preference because I don’t want to have issues of any kind when I’m out in the middle of nowhere. For me, slides when retracted also create a visual clutter inside motorhome that I can’t ignore as much as I’ve tried.

It’s amusing that designers often push limits until they go too far, like when a few tried placing toilets in slides.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It’s amusing that designers often push limits until they go too far, like when a few tried placing toilets in slides.
Now that would be an amusement ride worth waiting in line for!