Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Poor FM Radio Reception

I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1. Neither radio has reception when i am at racetrack so I cannot hear announcer.

Is this unique to Axxera or Jensen or do I need to add FM antenna? Regular FM stations come in fine at house or on road.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
First thing I'd try is pull out the radio and check that the antenna is even plugged into the back. Our Axis has a short antenna on the roof above the drivers seat for the radio.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I have that same antennae above the driver, on our Gemini, but the axxera is not connected to it. The house Jensen also is not connected to any antennae. Dealer is currently waiting for Thor to authorize fishing an antennae wire through the A pillar to the axxera, and mounting a second antennae for the Jensen. They (dealer) found a short length of wire simply shoved into antennae connections on both radios. Bothers me that this could have passed through their QA and went out into the market like that.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
QA?
We don't have no stinkin' QA!
Old 01-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #5

THOR #5821
Unfortunately its not just Thor. My last coach was a Tiffin, considered one of the better higher end coaches. It took us two years to work most of the manufacturing bugs out of it, and basically recover it from the process of having been manufactured. We did, however have that one for eleven years, we will see how the Gemini holds up.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:06 AM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Make sure you have an antenna on the roof. I looked up the other day and saw ours was missing. It's gone!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:51 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If the antenna was like ours it was laying on the roof with screw just barely threaded in, would have lost it if I hadn't checked.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:25 AM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #8306
Every time I drive my Axis 24.1 using FM, I get pissed off and bluetooth from my music on phone. The reception is crap, and now I'm finding out possibly why. Going to trace cables tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:09 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
QA?

We don't have no stinkin' QA!

The owner does all QA.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch1408 View Post
Every time I drive my Axis 24.1 using FM, I get pissed off and bluetooth from my music on phone. The reception is crap, and now I'm finding out possibly why. Going to trace cables tomorrow.
This thread just encouraged me to get up and go check my antennas on our 23TR. I have one for the dash radio and one for the TVs but nothing for the Jensen. No antenna above the driver.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:39 PM   #11

THOR #2817
Check on the back of your radio to see if the antenna input has a cable in it. The antenna on the roof near the windshield of our coach must be used for both the front and rear radios since we only have one radio antenna on the roof.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Antenna on roof and it's connected to the dash radio. FM is crap shoot as to if it works. Jensen in back just had a wire dangling. That radio had no value so it's disconnected and rear speakers connected to front.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Make sure you have an antenna on the roof. I looked up the other day and saw ours was missing. It's gone!
"Gone"; as in, "Busted off"?

Or as in, "Never There"?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #14

THOR #5821
Seems to be more common than it should be. If you look at my earlier post ours had the antennae mounted on the cap above the driver, connected to nothing. Axera in dash only had a 4 inch wire shoved into antennae connection. Jenson also had wire just shoved into antennae connection. Dealer got the dash radio connected to the already mounted antennae and installed a second antennae for the Jenson. Unbelievable.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #15

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I pulled the Jensen out this morning and it only has a small #16 wire in the antenna connection on the radio and it was just laying inside the wall. No sign of an antenna on the roof at all. The antenna on the fender I am sure is for dash radio only and installed by Ford. Maybe?
Old 11-05-2017, 11:59 PM   #16

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
"Gone"; as in, "Busted off"?

Or as in, "Never There"?
Apparently when a large bird flew over the RV while we were traveling, it hit the antenna and broke it off at the swivel. We saw the bird and heard the noise of it hitting something on the roof. Since our old Jensen radio didn't work I didn't think anything about the noise until replacing the radio. I was able to replace the swivel and antenna by buying a universal antenna and mount from an auto parts store.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Belive it or not: that's a relief!
The only quality control issue that comes from your story: the bird's vision!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:51 AM   #18

Model: 2018 Hurricane 29M
State: Alberta
THOR #21036
Post Thor Hurricane Radio Reception Problems

Hi everyone , please excuse if this has already been addressed.. We own a 2018 Thor hurricane and the in dash radio gets terrible reception.. spent $1200 to install new kenwood with apple play and serius xm.. the xm antenna is placed by the windshield .. The radio reception is spotty and the xm keeps cutting in out.. why is reception so poor.. does anyone have experience with fixing this problem?
is there an antenna booster hiding somewhere that is turned off ?

Thank you all for your insights !
Old 10-27-2020, 03:17 AM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu30 View Post
Hi everyone , please excuse if this has already been addressed.. We own a 2018 Thor hurricane and the in dash radio gets terrible reception.. spent $1200 to install new kenwood with apple play and serius xm.. the xm antenna is placed by the windshield .. The radio reception is spotty and the xm keeps cutting in out.. why is reception so poor.. does anyone have experience with fixing this problem?
is there an antenna booster hiding somewhere that is turned off ?

Thank you all for your insights !
Could me poor ground plane for the antennas.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:57 AM   #20

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
Here's the quick and dirty answer. Most auto radio antennas are atached to the metal fenders of the auto which creates a sizeable ground plane which, when combined with the extended metal pole of the antenna makes for good reception. Most RV's antennas are mounted on the fiberglass roof which leaves the antenna without a ground plane. Basically, that results in less than half of an antenna. There is a method to improve reception somewhat. It would involve removing the antenna and using aluminum adhesive backed tape to fabricate a ground plane and then re-install the antenna in the middle of the newly fabricated ground plane. To notice any big difference the ground plane would need to be about 24" x 24". The same is true for the Sirius XM except the aluminum area would only need to be about 8"x8" for relatively good reception. I have made the small ground plane for my SiriusXM for my last three MH. It is much easier with the Sirius antenna because I use the small hockey puck and just glue it to the aluminum. The aluminum can be purchased at auto parts stores and comes on rolls. Just remove the paper backing to expose the adhesive.
I prefer Sirius playing because I never lose the station, no matter how far I travel.