Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2022, 01:54 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreck View Post
Ok I finally got where I could plug into a 30 amp receptacle and everything works like it should but when I use the 110 adaptor it still pops the breaker on the receptacle. I know the wishbone is good because it works on my friends camper. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Try another dogbone or get a 30 to 15 amp puck at Walmart. Just because the dogbone worked with your friends camper doesn’t mean it is good. It means they were lucky.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:59 AM   #22

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I think the preponderance of data here suggests that you actually have a ground fault somewhere and that the GFCI is doing what it should. I’d try disconnecting the “load” side of the breaker. If it works properly then try systematically disconnecting the downstream outlets until you can narrow down the issue.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:41 PM   #23

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26545
Even when I throw the main breaker it still will pop the CFCI but when I plug into one without a CFCI it does not trip the breaker in the house when I turn the main breaker on in the MH but it continues to run on dc. Again everything switches over like it should when plugged into a 30 amp receptacle. Thinking out load did they ever use a ATS that is designed to switch over on 30amp but not on 110?
Old 05-02-2022, 05:51 PM   #24

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Even when I throw the main breaker it still will pop the CFCI but when I plug into one without a CFCI it does not trip the breaker in the house when I turn the main breaker on in the MH but it continues to run on dc. Again everything switches over like it should when plugged into a 30 amp receptacle. Thinking out load did they ever use a ATS that is designed to switch over on 30amp but not on 110?
30 AMP is 110

You have a ground fault

What happened when you followed Wileys proceedure?
Old 05-02-2022, 05:58 PM   #25

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I think the preponderance of data here suggests that you actually have a ground fault somewhere and that the GFCI is doing what it should. I’d try disconnecting the “load” side of the breaker. If it works properly then try systematically disconnecting the downstream outlets until you can narrow down the issue.
Pete:
Unless a panel breaker has failed in a really strange way internally, there is no practical difference between disconnecting the wire vs. just flipping the breaker off, except that lifting the wire is a lot more work.
Plus I don't think that this particular user will be comfortable enough to remove the panel cover and stick a screwdriver in there.
I think he will be able to narrow his issue down to one circuit, just by flipping breakers on and off in a logical order.

Once the issue is isolated to just one circuit, we can advise him further how to make the repair.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #26

THOR #26545
When I turned the main breaker on nothing when I turned each breaker on one at a time nothing everything continued to run on dc.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:28 PM   #27

THOR #9178
Quote:
When I turned the main breaker on nothing when I turned each breaker on one at a time nothing everything continued to run on dc.
What happened on the AC side?
Old 05-02-2022, 06:33 PM   #28

THOR #19277
Quote:
I must not be fully understanding what is happening there. I thought you were tripping a GFCI inside the motorhome, but that does not seem to be what you are describing now.

Where, physically, is the Ground-Fault breaker that keeps tripping? Is it inside the house or inside the motorhome?

Going back to one of the original suggestions that was offered here,
if somebody has bonded the neutral to the ground anywhere inside the motorhome, it will trip any GFCI-protected receptacle inside the house.
This will happen even if the MAIN breaker in the MH panel is OFF.

The reason it does not trip when you plug into a 30A RV receptacle is because those are typically not GFCI protected.

The only way you are going to fix this is to have an electrician go through your MH with a flashlight until he finds the place where the Neutral and Ground were incorrectly connected together. It might be in the panel, it could be in an A/C unit, or it could even be in an outlet somewhere.

Once that link is broken, your ground fault will be cleared.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:55 PM   #29

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
I thought he was saying when he uses the 30 amp to 15 amp dogbone and he is plugging into the house receptacle with a GFCI (must probably in the garage) the GFCI on the house receptacle in the garage is tripping. When he runs the generator there is no problem with 110 AC in the RV.

He does need to clarify is he "popping a circuit breaker" in the house circuit breaker box for the house receptacle he's trying to use, or is he just tripping the GFCI on the house receptacle.

Could this be something as simple as the GFCI in the house receptacle is weak?

I'm thinking if he plugs into a power 30 amp at an RV park with the normal RV cable all will be fine. He already said all 110AC works with the generator. The only problem he's having is trying to plug into that house 15 Amp receptacle that has a GFCI. It seems to me that is a problem that lots of folks have had trying to plug into their garage 15 amp plug.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:29 PM   #30

THOR #26545
Again what confuses me is that when plugged into a 15 amp non CFCI protected it still doesn’t work but does not trip any breakers in the house. Thanks again to all of you because I am totally out of my league.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:30 PM   #31

THOR #9178
Quote:
Again what confuses me is that when plugged into a 15 amp non CFCI protected it still doesn’t work but does not trip any breakers in the house. Thanks again to all of you because I am totally out of my league.
What did you get testing voltage

1) power cable
2) ATS in/out
3) 120V Panel in RV
Old 05-02-2022, 09:32 PM   #32

THOR #9178
Quote:
You have a ground fault tripping the GFCI

Some other issue regarding no 120v
Old 05-03-2022, 01:23 AM   #33

THOR #19277
Quote:
I feel like we're looking at two separate issues.
1. You still have a ground fault in the coach
2. You're not delivering a full 110 VAC to the coach.

It could be that the extension cords you're using are causing a voltage drop. Many things in your MH will not work correctly if the voltage falls below 95 VAC.

How long is your extension cord? The shorter the better.
What gauge is your extension cord? Labeled 20A or 15A?
Do you have a DVM (digital volt meter)?
What voltage do you measure at any receptacle in the MH when on shorepower?
What do you mean by "still doesn't work"?
Old 05-03-2022, 01:59 AM   #34

THOR #26545
I don’t use any extension cord only the one on the MH. I don’t have a DVM. What I mean by it still doesn’t work is when I plug into a regular 110 outlet it doesn’t trip the ATS in the MH but when I plug into a A 30 amp it does.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:35 AM   #35

THOR #19277
Quote:
I don’t use any extension cord only the one on the MH. I don’t have a DVM. What I mean by it still doesn’t work is when I plug into a regular 110 outlet it doesn’t trip the ATS in the MH but when I plug into a A 30 amp it does.
That's really a weird set of symptoms.
The ATS should only need an amp or so to flip the switch over from Gen to SP. It should be getting plenty of current from either source, 15A or 30A.

How do you know that the ATS isn't switching? Do you have the cover off?
Have you tightened all the connections inside the ATS?

If you're going to keep trying to fix this yourself, you're going to need some decent tools.

1. An outlet tester with GFCI test button like this one:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Rece...FCI/5001424385

2. A digital multimeter like this one:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Mini...ter/5001927061
Old 05-03-2022, 03:04 AM   #36
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
What do you mean by "doesn’t trip the ATS in the MH"?

ATSs don't trip - they switch position.

The default position for your ATS is "Power from SP".

Since the beginning you have been told you have a GROUND FAULT in the MH. When plugged into a circuit with a GFCI it will trip. Most 30 amp 120 VAC circuits do NOT have Ground Fault Protection.

When you add an adapter to allow your 30 Amp 120 VAC plug to use a 15 Amp 120 VAC receptacle you need to verify that adapter is good. If you get no 120 VAC to the camper when using that adapter on a known good circuit then it is BAD.

As was mentioned above, go spend $5 at Wally Work and get a brand new adapter puck to eliminate the possible faulty adapter in the mix.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:16 AM   #37

THOR #26545
If the ATS was switching when plugged into a 15=amp wouldn’t the refrigerator run on electric and not switch to propane? And yes I will look into purchasing some decent tools.Thanks
Old 05-03-2022, 11:32 AM   #38
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
If the ATS was switching when plugged into a 15=amp wouldn’t the refrigerator run on electric and not switch to propane? And yes I will look into purchasing some decent tools.Thanks
Again, the ATS does not SWITCH unless you run the generator. It is otherwise always selected to SP input whether you are connected to SP or not.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:18 PM   #39

THOR #26545
Again I want to thank everyone for taking the time to help me figure this out. As I figured it was just me thinking the worst possible scenario and assuming the problem was in the MH and I had bought someone else’s headache. My electrician came this morning to discuss how would be the best way to wire a 30 amp RV plug on the side of the house. I had him check the 110 outlet that I had been trying to use and it turned out someone had wired it backwards.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #40

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
Occam's razor -- usually the simplest answer. The house receptacle was wired backwards. Hooah -- glad you got it rectified.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote