Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kansas
THOR #14456
Possible Windshield Seal Leaking

We just went thru some very strong rain
and high winds just north of Austin, Texas. About (3) days ago we noticed the curtain that wraps around to give privacy, was wet and had stains on it. I noticed the rubber seal at the top (right side passenger) had some white and yellowish stains on it too. Then I saw some of that yellowish colored resin flakes on the dash. Then last night and all morning it rained extremely hard and turned to high wind gusts. My wife went to use the laptop desk in the dash on the passenger side and it was filled up 1/2 way with water. I got a sponge and a gallon ice cream container and extracted over a half of a gallon of water out of that desk insert. Has anyone had issues similar to mine? I noticed on the windshield (passenger side)
the glass is from Custom Glass Solutions. Is that the factory windshield they put in their RV’s? We have a 2018 Thor ACE 27.2. I have a hair line crack in the middle of the windshield (complements of an old truck and trailer that I was unfortunate enough to get behind) that we got the first time out. I had Safelite look at it and couldn’t do an epoxy injection, said the rock ding went all the way thru. It started small but kept spreading. We’ve been parked for (4) months here in Austin for the winter. I’ve been having a hard time with Nationwide Insurance and have been working with Eyes On The Prize Glass. It seems all glass insurance claims are turned over to a 3rd party to deal with claims. What a hassle and scam. I’ve been trying since April 1st with this company and I’m told someone was to call me on Monday as to get me scheduled before we have to pull up stakes and head back home to Kansas City. Maybe it was my first mistake calling on April 1st, April fools day! LOL! Any input from all you wonderful knowledgeable people who read this forum would be appreciated. Thank you and God Bless!

Old 04-13-2019, 11:36 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I have had two coaches now with leaks around the windshield sealing rubber/gasket. And I have had good luck with a tube of windshield leak sealer from any auto parts store. It’s like a very thin and watery silicone that flows where the water goes then sets up like ordinary silicone. Looks like you’re heading for a new windshield though so likely that will take care of it - at least for a while. Good luck with your glass replacement.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #3

THOR #14456
Thanks for your input about the sealer to use on my windshield. I’m wondering if that is actually coming from the windshield or possibly on top around front cap or something else towards the front. I sponged our over 2 quarts of water from the passenger lap top station. Does that sound like a lot of water from a seal? Thanks again for your quick response. God Bless.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:18 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Windshield leaks can occur but leaks at the clearance lights are a bit more common but 2 quarts sounds more like the roof to cap seal particularly if the coach was slightly nose down.

Your Ace is a bit young for the seal to need attention but stranger things have happened. Head up on the roof and get on your hands and knees and check the seal. All it takes is a hairline split of the sealant to cause a large leak in heavy rain. I had a hair line split and water pour in one day when the sky opened up. Keeping the coach slightly nose high on the jacks will help keep the water outside if it is the seal.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:44 AM   #5

THOR #6826
At the risk of being repetitive of another thread - you should make a practice of thoroughly inspecting your roof and side wall penetrations about every 3 or 4 months. I go over my roof on my hands and knees looking for suspect seams. ANYthing can leak! It is rare that I fail to find at least one seam needing attention even on an almost new coach. Fortunately most leaks are not terribly hard to find or fix. Don’t use silicone on your roof or seams for the front and rear caps.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #6

THOR #14456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
At the risk of being repetitive of another thread - you should make a practice of thoroughly inspecting your roof and side wall penetrations about every 3 or 4 months. I go over my roof on my hands and knees looking for suspect seams. ANYthing can leak! It is rare that I fail to find at least one seam needing attention even on an almost new coach. Fortunately most leaks are not terribly hard to find or fix. Don’t use silicone on your roof or seams for the front and rear caps.

Thanks for your advice. What type of sealer do you recommend to use on the roof? Thanks
Old 04-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #7

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetdude View Post
Thanks for your advice. What type of sealer do you recommend to use on the roof? Thanks

Use an RV specific self leveling lap sealant for the roof and a polyurethane caulk on any vertical surface. Get the former from any RV dealer or online and the latter at the same place or Home Depot. The polyurethane stuff is sticky and a bit harder to use neatly so I sometimes also use silicone on vertical surfaces like around window or fixtures. Nothing tricky about any of it but either remove the old sealant if it’s in really poor shape or clean it thoroughly if you’re just doing maintenance touch up. These things creak and flex quite a bit on the road and being in the sun all the time doesn’t help either. It’s worth the time it takes since water can do amazing damage. Good luck.