Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2018, 01:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 32vs
State: Arizona
THOR #373
Power to dash items

Hi, I have a challenger 32vs. a bunch of items, including th power mirrors (movement & heat) are out. As are the fog lamps, aux start, and a few others. I have checked the fuses Thor (suggested) near the 2 solenoids on the left side of the RV. I also was able to get my hand on the 100 amp breaker located behind the headlight and I can feel the reset flag is up in the set position. I have squeezed in under the dash and checked most fuses, some had no power. Before I pull out the drivers seat to get a better look under the dash, am I missing something under the hood? If I could take out the headlight I think I could probably check the 100 amper better, but I can't even get to reach the far side headlight assembly. Anyone have a suggestion on what to check before to pull the seat. I just get the feeling I am not looking in the right space. I think its in the headlight area. but I just can't get to it.
Any help would be appreciated. My local dealers are no longer Thor and won't work on it.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:31 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Not to be insulting, but from the variety of loads not working have you ensured that the chassis battery disconnect latching relay is clicking on (and working) when you operate the chassis disconnect switch? Or in some coaches the use/store switch is in use position depending on your coach. Does the engine start OK?
Old 08-07-2018, 02:36 AM   #3

THOR #373
not insulted at all. I was the first thing I checked. I have been there before
and it's not everything, just 1/2 the Thor add on's, which makes me think its a supply to the panel. Thor was no help, couldn't even tell me where the fog light fuse was. So I am on my own. I just can't seem to get my big hands where I need them to be. I was looking at pictures of replacement headlights to see how the remove. I and will to try just about anything reasonable.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:38 AM   #4

Model: Mandalay
State: Florida
THOR #11268
I had something similar to what you are experiencing. I lost power to my turn signals and a few other electrical items. I tried my best to locate the blown fuse but to no avail, the problem remained. I finally called a mobile repair just to keep from putting the unit into the shop and it sitting for days if not weeks before beginning work on it. Besides I could see what he did to repair it. He found out one of the fuse panels was not getting power. For 5 hours he and a helper checked and rechecked things and was baffled. He was very frustrated and began showing me where he was missing power when the turn signal came on. He began tracing that load of wires in a huge wire loom when a big wire popped out of the connector on a terminal block. It had not been crimped properly from the factory and had a bad connection. He placed a new large terminal end on this wire that was as big as a pencil and crimped it then attached it to the terminal block. Viola everything began working as it was supposed to.
The point of this story is your problem may be similar and very hard to find and trace down. It may not just be a blown fuse or circuit breaker, relay or whatnot. It may be simple but hard to find...
BTW the bad connection was located on the firewall behind the headlight under a black cover and I also have a Thor.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:52 AM   #5

THOR #373
Thanks I think that’s what my problem is as well I just can’t figure out how to get to Behind the headlight that’s where I chased all the wires till there’s 100 amp fuse back there
Old 08-07-2018, 03:09 AM   #6

THOR #2631
So engine starts fine? Does your coach use the RV Custom Products BCC (battery control) which is typically a black box mounted in the engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Custom Product BCC Picture.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	12084  
Old 08-07-2018, 03:24 AM   #7

THOR #373
I have not seen a boxlike that. I have a fuse block in the engine bay next to 2 solenoids. And there is a 100 amp& a 60 amp breaker behind the pass headlight & a 100 amp breaker behind the driver headlight. I can see and test the 2 on pass side but can barely. See/touch the driver side one. If I trace the wires from the fog lights to the relay then to a large bundle which seems to gobehind the dash. The Owners manual says there is a BCC in the tire well behind a flap if it’s there I can’t find it I have a Thor challenger 32 vs 2012
Old 08-07-2018, 03:46 AM   #8

THOR #2631
After checking a recall Thor had on the RV Custom Products BCC a few years ago I did not see the Challenger listed so probably your BCC is a different maker/unit. I was hoping you had this RV Custom BCC because the schematic is available and shows the fusing, breakers and relays assigned to some of the loads you have lost. So unfortunately I won't be much help to you.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:38 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
THOR #3788
See pdf its for the thor installed fuse box usally located down on the floor by drivers left foot

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1533620302
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 201707201657_0001 (1).pdf (65.4 KB, 527 views)
FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #10

THOR #373
Thank you I will look for this box when I get home from work I have yet to see anything like it
Old 08-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The things that Thor installs in the front cap are powered by the chassis battery through the 100 amp circuit breaker located near the chassis battery under the hood. There is a 6 ga wire that carries power to the front cap fuse panel down by the drivers left foot. First check that there is power to the fuse panel. On the panel are two relays that control power if the ignition or accessory power is on. Expect to get a back ache and to dislodge the left side of the dash beauty panel after you check the fuses.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #12

THOR #373
Thanks i’ll Check it out and let everyone know the results. I appreciate everyone’s help!
Old 08-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
we had a situation where, if I remember correctly, several relays were lighted RED, and the wipers would constantly blow their 5amp fuse....Thor actually sent me a replacement fuse Circuit Board to replace the whole thing. Now I have all the 'extra' fuses from my old board...nice.
The replacement was also fairly easy.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:25 AM   #14

THOR #373
Well the rain finally stopped and I went out to check the RV with everyone's suggestions. I don't have the usually Thor black box, instead I have this under the dash and a different style fuse block in the engine compartment.

All of the cap 100 amp big fuses check OK. on the panel under the hood there are 3 fuses with no power, a: 15, 10, & 7.5 amp. and I have 3 itmes that don't work. They are 2nd thru 4th from the bottom on that panel. Thor told me the fog light fuse was "somewhere around the 2 solenoids" so I figure its these 3 that are the issue. I tried following wires but get lost when they hit a big bundle. I know the Batt wires are hot, so there's power in there. I can't get the panel loose because my t15 & t20 torx bits are either too big or too small?
anyway, I would try powering a line if I knew which way the power flowed. from the panel to the wire or vice versa. Anyone work with these panels before?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Under Dash Fuse Panel w-o cover.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	12132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under Hood Fuse Block.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	12133  

Old 08-09-2018, 01:36 AM   #15

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
WOW...I feel for you man. that second panel looks like something from under the hood of a 1955 Plymouth. I can't believe Thor can't furnish you with a detailed wiring diagram of what they've done there...if they even have one, or at least put you on the phone with a systems designer. I saw the video of them at the factory making the wiring harness...looked like a thrown out "nail art" board they found on the street.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:40 AM   #16

THOR #373
I knew I saw the panel somewhere. Yeah its a bear, and Thor didn't seem to want to help me because I was an owner, not a dealer. I may try calling them again, but I am not optimistic. And I don't want to experiment during the travel season, we leave for a week next week, which is why I am trying to get this stuff working, I just don't want to make a bad situation worse.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:52 AM   #17

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Some circuits/fuses may not be hot with the key off. So that may not be an indication of a problem. But keep up with what is not hot so you can see if anything you fix makes a difference. In the under hood picture with those little blocks with 2 posts. I think those are breakers with a tiny little reset button sticking out of one end. Check all those for power on both posts. If one side is dead check for the reset button.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:57 AM   #18

THOR #373
if you mean the ones below the solenoids, they are breakers, I had to replace one to get the power seat to work. there aren't any reset buttons sadly. No, I think its the 3 fuses in a row on the bottom. I had the rv running, lights on, and the fog light switch on and they were all dead, oh and the parking brake was off. Fustrating.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #19

THOR #2631
Bill5H, this schematic for a 2014 Challenger may not help much but someone posted this a while ago and it may at least help you tie the electrical system together better......assuming minimal changes from your 2012 to the 2014. A Picture is worth a thousand words sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014 Miramar or Challenger Schematic.jpg
Views:	6670
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	12140  
Old 08-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #20

THOR #373
Thank you. I will try and figure it out tonight after work