Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2021, 11:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: California
THOR #22574
Power shade issues

I purchased a 2018 Palazzo 33.2 early 2020. The coach has tried to kill me several times already but I think we may have come to an understanding. Verdict is still out. That being said, I have an EZ up power privacy shade for the front window. I noticed it seemed to unravel a few inches while driving. Then, while driving on the freeway the shade dropped about 6 inches, then 8 more, then unraveled completely. At 65 miles an hour i had no visibility. I actually had to unbuckle the seatbelt and crawl over the dash to pull the shade over my head so i could see. Aside from a couple cars swerving violently out of the way I was shaken but not dead. I used zip ties to secure until I could get the coach serviced. The shade motor was replaced. And now, after only a couple months the shade is ratcheting down again. Does anyone have experience with this? Is there a set screw or fitting that might be missing to secure the motor into the shade gear? I've searched online for similar issues and not discovered any. Maybe i should just hire a priest and have an exorcism performed. Or maybe I'm just missing a screw...

Old 03-17-2021, 03:18 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
There was a recall on some of the power shades in some models a couple of years ago- not mine although I had the problem, and it seems you are also. I called the shade manufacturer and asked what the procedure for the recall fix was. It was to install a screw through the shade roller into the plastic drive on the end of the motor. You need to remove the motor, measure and place a small screw into the drive gear. Was not hard and the tech at the shade plant carefully explained how to do it.
Mike
Old 03-17-2021, 05:14 AM   #3

Model: Palazzo
State: California
THOR #22574
Mike! Thank You! This was a helpful response. I’ll contact the manufacturer.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:57 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
I took mine out and installed curtains. Those shades are garbage. Mine rattled like crazy and was hit and miss on working.