Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #3065
Power steering

Hello,
I am new to the forum, I have a 2016 Thor axis 24.1.
I am having issues with the power steering. When I apply the brakes and try backing up there is no power steering. Any suggestions? Or has anyone else experienced this?

Old 10-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #2

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Wow, that's an odd one. There isn't any physical connection between the two that I'm aware of. Maybe a computer problem? Most modern power steering is speed-sensitive. The amount of boost decreases as speed increases. I am guessing that boost pressure is controlled by the ECU computer.

Perhaps a computer or sensor is malfunctioning when you go into reverse?

Or something else entirely???

Regards,

Randy
Old 10-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Are you applying the brake while backing and is that when you lose power steering? If you take your foot off the brake while backing do you regain power steering? If you put it in R and not have the brakes on and just let the coach creep backwards with the engine idling is the power steering working? If it is and while it is creeping backwards and you apply the brake do you lose power steering?

Is this only happening when in R? If you shift into D does the power steering come back? Even with the brakes still applied?

Like Randy said -- this is really bizarre behavior. I'm curious to know if the power steering is reacting to what is happening in the transmission or to the application of brakes.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:38 AM   #4

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
I did a little Google research and found this behavior occurring in other vehicles. Seems there is a "Transmission Range Sensor" TRS that tells the ECU what gear the tranny is in.

Apparently, it can cause this behavior if it fails. The ECU thinks you are in 5th (or some other forward gear) and moving and provides the right amount of boost (nearly none) for that situation.

Can't say this is your issue, but might be worth looking into. In any case, it sounds like you need to get it into an appropriately equipped Ford service center.

Good luck!

Randy
Old 10-18-2015, 01:21 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! That's a new one. Assuming you'll take this back to the dealer, please let us know what the explanation and fix is for this.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #6

State: Tennessee
THOR #3065
Thanks everyone, I will be taken it back to the shop. Will let you all know what the rinsing where.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #7

State: California
THOR #21753
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
I did a little Google research and found this behavior occurring in other vehicles. Seems there is a "Transmission Range Sensor" TRS that tells the ECU what gear the tranny is in.

Apparently, it can cause this behavior if it fails. The ECU thinks you are in 5th (or some other forward gear) and moving and provides the right amount of boost (nearly none) for that situation.

Can't say this is your issue, but might be worth looking into. In any case, it sounds like you need to get it into an appropriately equipped Ford service center.

Good luck!

Randy
Hello Griswold!
It was six years ago you posted this Possible solution with power steering. I have the same issue with a 93 Thor P 30 chassis. I change the power steering pump made no difference. I was thinking the power boost may be the problem however, the ECU makes much more sense because I have plenty of power steering when in park. I will check with the dealer see what they say about the location and replacement of the ECU... Hope you are still on board with this site. Thanks, Panman
Old 01-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosey View Post
Hello,
I am new to the forum, I have a 2016 Thor axis 24.1.
I am having issues with the power steering. When I apply the brakes and try backing up there is no power steering. Any suggestions? Or has anyone else experienced this?
Blame it on emission regulations. The power brakes and the power steering are powered by the same engine driven hydraulic pump. As you might imagine, the brakes have the priority. The power steering pump is driven at the minimum speed to save gas. The power brakes on the small coach have a pressure reservoir the stores enough brake pressure for two full brake applications. Larger coaches have an electric pump to keep the brake pressure up. So if you are idling and riding the bakes the pressure will drop in both brake circuits causing the brakes to receive all the power steering pumps pressure and flow. The engines computer is suppose to detect this and up the idle to 1,100 rpm or higher to counteract the lower pressure.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote