Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Problem with slide controller Windsport 35 m

Leaving wed. for a 3 month trip. A little nerve racking. Used vehicle last week ,no problems. Vehicle is parked in driveway with slides in. No shore power. Was checking above driver and noticed slide controller slide 2 was flashing red. 9 times,hall power short to ground.Usually a wiring problem it states. Any ideas on what to do. Heavy rains and wind last night.NY. Thanks in advance

Old 10-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #2

THOR #6832
Hope I got it

After speaking to Thor they had me reset the box in coach compartment and then hit retract..Now lights are completely off. I believe that's how they should be when reset ?.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I have this same problem. Slides worked fine, but was getting 9 flashes. Halfprice (Jerry) told me that he had discovered the same reset and it cleared up his problem. It also worked for me.

However, for me, the flashing comes back when I've turned off coach power with the Use/Store switch. When I put it back to Use the flashing led comes back. Looks like the controller doesn't like having power turned off. Resetting the controller stops the flashing and I've never had a problem with the slides not working. However, after power is restored to the controller, I've found that I have to move the slides in again (hold the retract button down and the slide moves less than 1/2") in order to get the extend button to work. Looks like another artifact of power cycling the controllers.

I have it on my list to call Lippert about this behavior, but the ACE is down for its long winter's nap now so I'm not in a big hurry.

Rick
Old 10-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #4

THOR #6832
Thanks Denver

Yeah called techs and at first said it needs service( error code Ground fault 9) but then said to try and clear by pressing button 6times and then hold on 7th for ten seconds then you have 45 seconds to hit retract . Cleared all warning lights. Great.Then noticed that bed over driver, same controller as slide also same warning . Reset same way. So I think your right about that. Last week I put in store mode. Learn something new every day.
Thanks for reply.Off to Nashville first than going west.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Maryland
THOR #12424
I find it interesting that Techs have told you pressing the button 6 times and holding it the 7th clears the error code. Documentation from the Thor owners Manual and Lippert directly say this is to put the controller in over-ride so that it allows you to put the slide in (or I guess out) even if there is a error code.

I have to press the slide extend button twice for both my slides. (I'm guessing this is similar to Rick pressing retract first then extend)

For me, as soon as you apply power to the coach (either plug in to shore power or turn house power switch on) you should see an error code on the slide controller.

The first time you press the slide extend/retract button it clears the error code (Lippert documentation in both the In Wall Owners Manual and In-Wall Slide-Out Troubleshooting "When an error code is present, the board needs to be reset. Energizing the extend/retract switch (Fig. 1) resets the board. Energize the extend/retract switch again for normal operation."). The interesting thing I have seen is once I clear the error, it does not reapper until the power to the coach is removed, applied, removed again and applied again (two times). The first time removing power and re-applying it does not present the error.

Both of my controllers are displaying 1 green and 9 red flashes = motor 1 Hall Power Short to Ground. Thor thinks the issue is both controllers are probably grounded to the same lug on the chassis and it is loose, the only reason it would be both controllers. The dealer has already replaced motor 1 and wiring harness on one slide which did not fix it. I also swapped the wiring harness for motor 1 and motor 2 and when I put power back it is still giving the code for motor 1 so this tells me it is not actually the motor or wiring harness.

I emailed Lippert at warranty@lci1.com and described my problem and got the most helpful information from them so far within a few hours. Their suggestion for troubleshooting was this:
"When operating the slide, you should have a red and green light that flash back and forth rapidly. If you do not have these lights when operating, there is an issue with the slide out controller and at that point you should replace.
The best way to test this system is to operate the slide. What code is flashing? Write down that code. Swap the motor harnesses from Motor 1 to Motor 2 and Motor 2 to Motor 1. Operate the slide again. Does the code change? No? Replace the controller or check for faulty grounds. Yes? Continuity tests on harness. Does it pass? NO, replace harness. Yes? Replace the slide out motor as there is an issue with the sensor on the top of the motor or the wires pulled out of the motor."

I personally don't buy into the thought that this error code is because there was not power and then power was applied to the coach. This is the same thing the dealer told me at first. Then as the conversation progressed we found this was just the excuse because they had it for two week and we were there to pick it up and they had not looked at it. But if they can program the controller to give 9 different error codes, they could add a 10th that says power was just applied, system resetting or something like that. because I have been able to spend many hours looking at documentation and speaking with Thor and Lippert hopefully I am getting close to a solution. They both told me if the ground is lost completely the system will not run so it needs addressed. The dealer is the only one that does not want to work on it.

Good Luck.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
As stated above i have the same problem. Thor sent me two new controllers but i wont replace them until they stop working.

When the weather cools down i think ill try to follow the harness wiring to find where its grounded. Just to make sure the coneection is tight.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We've made a couple trips this year and the slides appear to be working OK. The dinette/recliner slide controller still has the blinking error when power is turned on, but the slide still works fine. Once power has been turned on and the slide moved, the error blinks go out and everything looks normal.

The thought on a ground issue is a good one and now I'll have to go chase grounds. If its too tough to trace the wires, I may just tap the ground wire and run it directly to the battery ground.

Jerry, how did you get Thor to send you new controllers? Was it still under warranty when you found the problem? I'm almost a year out of warranty now.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
We've made a couple trips this year and the slides appear to be working OK. The dinette/recliner slide controller still has the blinking error when power is turned on, but the slide still works fine. Once power has been turned on and the slide moved, the error blinks go out and everything looks normal.

The thought on a ground issue is a good one and now I'll have to go chase grounds. If its too tough to trace the wires, I may just tap the ground wire and run it directly to the battery ground.

Jerry, how did you get Thor to send you new controllers? Was it still under warranty when you found the problem? I'm almost a year out of warranty now.
I first called lci about the problem. They had no idea. So i called thor. They had no idea either but thor said they would send me two new controllers. I was out of warranty about a month. Thor didnt care
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #9

Model: M29 Windsport
THOR #17124
I have the same identical problem. Have you had any luck? Its strange that both bed and wall slide blink 9 times until I hit retract twice causing the slide to move in an inch or so extinguishing the blinking light. I have had my local RV shop check the ground and so far no help.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:53 AM   #10

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #11919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I have the same identical problem. Have you had any luck? Its strange that both bed and wall slide blink 9 times until I hit retract twice causing the slide to move in an inch or so extinguishing the blinking light. I have had my local RV shop check the ground and so far no help.

2018 Windsport 29m, same issue with both the slide and bunk controllers. Learned that over time the right side of the bunk sags until it hits the pin and subsequent error. if I push the raise button eliminating the sag then the error clears. Similarly, on the slide, it appears to move ever so slightly out as I drive longer distances and generates the same error on the slide controller. If I retract the slide again, I hear it come in just a bit (fraction of an inch) then the error clears. Don’t think it’s a hardware problem as much as very sensitive controllers/limits.
It seems that in each case the controllers detect a slight difference in the motor rotations (counts) and generates the errors. Going to try slide braces on the big slide to prevent movement to see what happens.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #11

THOR #17789
Code9 Error

Has anyone been able to trace the ground wire back to where it may be loose? We have brand new 29M Windsport that we haven't even used yet and getting this error on both modules.

I can only assume after reading so much that so many nuts and screws were not tightened properly and could be the easy fix for this "Hall Power Short to Ground" error.

Thanks all !!
Old 03-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #12

THOR #11919
I have not checked the ground wire on my 29M. Each time I got that error it was due to the slide not being fully retracted, even if only a fraction of an inch. Just enough to not satisfy whatever measure it uses (motor rotations?). Usually happens after driving, must just creep out a minute amount. If I hold retract, hear the motor spin a few revolutions, hold the button for an additional 5 seconds and error clears.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #13

THOR #17789
I will definitely go outside and try that. We saw this error when first looking at the coach, pointed it out to techs. It was gone when we picked it up but back again. Seems like may have an issue unfortunately.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:44 PM   #14

THOR #17124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBaker View Post
I will definitely go outside and try that. We saw this error when first looking at the coach, pointed it out to techs. It was gone when we picked it up but back again. Seems like may have an issue unfortunately.
Two things... I have the exact issue. Thor had me remove the elect panel access under the bed and check the white wires that are wire nutted together that are inside a metal box. I did that took off the wire nuts Re twisted still no help. Put star washers behind each ground wire on the ground stud behind the batteries. Now one way I could not get the 9 blinking lights was to start the engine and let it run 10 minutes before turning on the house battery power switch at the entry. After 10 min and then turning on the house batteries there were no blinking lights. This is strange. I’ll wait back for any help you might find.
My direct email is sonny1210@aol.com
Thanks in advance
Old 03-19-2020, 05:49 PM   #15

THOR #17789
Wow, talk about jumping through hoops to get the lights out. Unfortunately, where we have her in our yard, the slide side is near the fence so cannot extend out to try it. At some point I may pull it out to try it. Just crazy all this stuff. Will be looking at all these fixes over the weekend and will keep you posted on what I find.

THank you !!
Old 03-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #16

THOR #17124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlleml View Post
2018 Windsport 29m, same issue with both the slide and bunk controllers. Learned that over time the right side of the bunk sags until it hits the pin and subsequent error. if I push the raise button eliminating the sag then the error clears. Similarly, on the slide, it appears to move ever so slightly out as I drive longer distances and generates the same error on the slide controller. If I retract the slide again, I hear it come in just a bit (fraction of an inch) then the error clears. Don’t think it’s a hardware problem as much as very sensitive controllers/limits.
It seems that in each case the controllers detect a slight difference in the motor rotations (counts) and generates the errors. Going to try slide braces on the big slide to prevent movement to see what happens.
Same issue. As I stated in another thread I let the engine run for 10 min before turning on the house batteries switch. Then the 9 blinking lights stopped. But I experience the same as you with the slide and bunk moving. Mine does that just sitting at home. If you get any further info please advise my email is sonny1210@aol.com. Thanks
Old 03-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #17

THOR #17789
One thing for me is we are fortunate to have MH plugged into 50amp service at the house. Keep it plugged in all the time with batteries in "On" position.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Every thing that is in post #5 is true. If you reset the controller, the slide will move about 2 inches before the code reappears. There are four way to reset the controller. - press the extend and retract switch twice within 1 minute, allow the slide motors to stall out at the slide limits, remove power from the controller, press the mode switch on the controller once. Power is supplied to the controller and the motor's electric brake any time there is power to the power panel (shore power, generator power, master power or use/store switch on). When resetting the controller the red and green LED will flash together for about 2 seconds then go off.

An intermittent Hall ground fault is usually a wiring problem where the motor to controller cable is rubbing on the slide track. This cable is supposed to be tucked in a guide but the slack at the ends are free to move.

Pressing the controller's mode switch six times and holding in for seventh for at least 5 seconds or until the red and green LEDs flash alternately very rapidly will put the controller into over ride mode. The controller will be in override mode for about 45 seconds. In override mode all safety features of the controller are negated. Cocking of the slide is a distinct possibility.
<https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/slideouts/ccd_0001602.pdf>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #19

THOR #17124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBaker View Post
One thing for me is we are fortunate to have MH plugged into 50amp service at the house. Keep it plugged in all the time with batteries in "On" position.
When I keep the MH plugged in I see the same until I turn off power. I didn’t mention Thor sent out 2 new controllers which did not correct the issue. Since I have seen in these threads motors and harnesses being changed and me both controllers and no change, I think LCI and Thor should get this to their think tanks. I am agreeing that both the slide and bunk are relaxing causing this. But why Hall Power short?
Thanks
Old 03-19-2020, 10:04 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
There are two Hall effect wires in the cable, signal and power. This fault normally only happens at three places - the connector at the motor, the connector at the controller and the cable itself. Water can cause this, metal shavings can cause this, a faulty Hall wheel or sensor in the motor or an actual worn place in the cable. So somewhere there is a short so that the Hall effect module is not working properly.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote