Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2019, 01:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #14426
Problem starting Generator with House Batteries

I have a new Chateau 25v and am having a generator problem. After using the house batteries (2) overnight they seem not to have enough power to start the generator. The generator cranks slowly for one or two tries then will not turn over. If I start the coach, the generator cranks quickly and starts easily. I checked the batteries and they test as new (600CCA). The charger is putting out 13.6 volts. I have taken the cables off and put them back on to ensure a good connection.

At night I only use the led lights and a vent fan, so the batteries should not be drawn down. All the other 12 system seem to work fine. Could it be a weak ground?

Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well since the engine running/alternator gets the generator turning over with no problem (I assume it connects via the interconnect relay between the chassis and coach batteries to the gen). You said the coach batteries test good with a load test.....not sure how you did that.......but if the batteries are actually fully charged, I think your suggestion of bad ground.....or perhaps bad coach battery cable connection(s) is the right starting point. Clean all coach battery posts and associated interconnect cables and the chassis ground point termination. Use safety precautions with any loose battery cables......welding is not a good thing during this process.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:56 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Sitting on the dealers lot without being on shore power will ruin most original house batteries. Due to the "always on" parasitic amperage draws, most house batteries will be below 11.5 volts in three weeks without being charged. You need to check the voltage at the battery with a voltmeter to ascertain the batteries charge state after sitting for 24 hours. That will tell you more than our guessing.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:40 AM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #14426
Thanks for the advice. I did test the batteries with a computerized tester to determine the CCA reading. (Solar brand tester, seems pretty accurate). I check the batteries when they were completely disconnected from the charger and each other. I had the same idea about the batteries sitting on the dealer lot. All the connections were clean and tight. I will guess I will start chasing the ground.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #5

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
When we first looked at our coach the house battery was totally dead due to a salesman leaving lights on. I think dealers are harder on coaches than the owner! Surprised after charging ours is still doing well 12 months later.