Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2021, 10:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #6433
Propane leak

Okay so just got the propane tank filled and have noticed a small leak on the gauge on my tank. So obviously need to get the system in to check out completely. But since this is the threaded part can I just slightly tighten? Or put some sort of thread sealer on it? If that’s not an option best way to empty the tank without causing problems. Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0808E37E-353F-4790-9B0A-C99280624E9B.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	29267   Click image for larger version

Name:	FBAA7877-3448-4E7A-8014-815B387F7FB2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	29269  

Old 03-21-2021, 10:59 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I would look on YouTube or call u haul
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:37 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Did you spray a soap solution on the gauge threads to check for the leak? (Windex will work) If not do so to verify visibly that it is leaking. If it isn't the culprit I have had the kid that filled my propane not get the vent tightened up enough and had an odor till I torqued it down.
If it is leaking at the gauge if it were mine I would try to snug it up with a channel lock no more than a quarter turn or so then recheck for leaks with soap solution. If it still leaks then I would contact a repair facility.
On an old MH we owned the shut off valve went bad and the RV dealer we took it to for service bled off the propane.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:42 AM   #4

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Did you spray a soap solution on the gauge threads to check for the leak? (Windex will work) If not do so to verify visibly that it is leaking. If it isn't the culprit I have had the kid that filled my propane not get the vent tightened up enough and had an odor till I torqued it down.
If it is leaking at the gauge if it were mine I would try to snug it up with a channel lock no more than a quarter turn or so then recheck for leaks with soap solution. If it still leaks then I would contact a repair facility.
On an old MH we owned the shut off valve went bad and the RV dealer we took it to for service bled off the propane.
Yeah it’s leaking right at the threads that go into the tank. I can’t get a wrench into the area to tighten it down.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Use a crow foot socket/wrench or remove the gauge and a large socket, put some OWG or LP sealer on the threads first

Park it out of direct sunlight and run the stove or other appliance to lower the vapor pressure in the tank first prior to any attempt to tighten the threads
Old 03-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #6

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
The plastic gauge will come off, it just 'snaps' into place and then a socket could be used... BUT.... if you tighten the gauge, you risk creating a larger leak, messing up the gauge accuracy or damaging the gauge mechanism.

You can only lower the vapor pressure by cooling the tank to 'freezing' temperatures or by draining the tank empty. I do not recommend either way, you need to take it to a qualified propane dealer and they will do it correctly.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #7

State: North Carolina
THOR #19843
Hate to be DUMB or steal someone else thread, but how do I start a new thread. Can not find "new thread" button,
Old 03-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #8

THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit55 View Post
Hate to be DUMB or steal someone else thread, but how do I start a new thread. Can not find "new thread" button,
No such thing as a "dumb" question, but go to the "Home" page, select the proper section that relates to your post and at the top will be "New Thread". As I said, try to put your post into the proper area. Good Luck
Also, above is the FAQ section, use it to help you along with most subjects.
EDIT: BTW, the Classifieds operate different, you have to place a classified ad, then a post is created.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:57 PM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I agree
My thoughts were a temp fix

The gauge has to be very close to vertical

Tank will have to be drained
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
The plastic gauge will come off, it just 'snaps' into place and then a socket could be used... BUT.... if you tighten the gauge, you risk creating a larger leak, messing up the gauge accuracy or damaging the gauge mechanism.

You can only lower the vapor pressure by cooling the tank to 'freezing' temperatures or by draining the tank empty. I do not recommend either way, you need to take it to a qualified propane dealer and they will do it correctly.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:43 PM   #10

THOR #16471
In my experience I have seen leaks like this one and it reminded ME of times the fitting had cracked. From over tightening or inferior casting, an improbable leak would develop. Then you try to tighten it and cause more damage. As the OP has just filled the tank......
The fittings in question has tapered threads and should NOT leak.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:12 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Okay so just got the propane tank filled and have noticed a small leak on the gauge on my tank. So obviously need to get the system in to check out completely. But since this is the threaded part can I just slightly tighten? Or put some sort of thread sealer on it? If that’s not an option best way to empty the tank without causing problems. Thanks for any advice.
Hire someone that is the person (man) on LP in RV's
Old 03-23-2021, 01:24 AM   #12

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
I had this problem and found a boxed end wrench to turn it until the leak stopped - using a soap and water test.

That 'stem' the gauge is mounted to is a float. The gauge is magnetic and reads an internal float arm. As you turn the arm, the float becomes less accurate. The turning also widens the tapered fitting, making it likely any replacement will have to be turned to the same degree to stop a leak; making it inaccurate.

I spent the money on a new float and it sits in a box, because installing it would likely make it equally unreliable as the one that's in there. A new tank, outfitted with the parts, is $400. If you're lucky and it fills without leaking, it's your best shot at a reliable fix. You may be able to use pipe dope (a special kind) but the tank has to be empty to fix it, filled and tested - rinse and repeat - until you have what you want.

Sorry for the bad news. Not intentional. Just been there, done that.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:36 AM   #13

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I had this problem and found a boxed end wrench to turn it until the leak stopped - using a soap and water test.

That 'stem' the gauge is mounted to is a float. The gauge is magnetic and reads an internal float arm. As you turn the arm, the float becomes less accurate. The turning also widens the tapered fitting, making it likely any replacement will have to be turned to the same degree to stop a leak; making it inaccurate.

I spent the money on a new float and it sits in a box, because installing it would likely make it equally unreliable as the one that's in there. A new tank, outfitted with the parts, is $400. If you're lucky and it fills without leaking, it's your best shot at a reliable fix. You may be able to use pipe dope (a special kind) but the tank has to be empty to fix it, filled and tested - rinse and repeat - until you have what you want.

Sorry for the bad news. Not intentional. Just been there, done that.
Oh no it sucks but it what is. I have it being looked at by a mobile mechanic later this week. Faster then taking it to a dealership. Hoping that I am lucky and it’s an easy fix
Old 03-23-2021, 07:56 PM   #14

THOR #12189
Quote:
Oh no it sucks but it what is. I have it being looked at by a mobile mechanic later this week. Faster then taking it to a dealership. Hoping that I am lucky and it’s an easy fix
Let me/us know what he does to fix it. You may want to ask if the tank needs to be empty so you're not charged a service call and then have to have him come back when empty. Some of them have 'stove pipes' they use to burn it off but that takes a lot of time so be sure you're paying by the job and not by the hour.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:18 PM   #15

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Let me/us know what he does to fix it. You may want to ask if the tank needs to be empty so you're not charged a service call and then have to have him come back when empty. Some of them have 'stove pipes' they use to burn it off but that takes a lot of time so be sure you're paying by the job and not by the hour.
Ha funny you mention that I think that was his plan. The “mechanic” had to reschedule so I went back through calling the RV shops in town and of course they are all busy. But I reached out to a heavy truck mechanic and he said all he could do was replace the tank. Then he gave me a name for a gas company and said this is who he sends people to. The mechanic said I only trust the gas guys and they will get you taken care of. Sure enough they said just burn off the fuel stop by if we carry the part should be a quick fix and if we have to order it we can do that and bring it back. Funny there seems like if you wanted to get into being an RV mechanic it might be a nice side gig. And if you just do it on the side you wouldn’t have to rip people off to make enough to fund vacations each year.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:15 PM   #16

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
One of these on the end of a Ratchet Wrench should fit. Try Harbor Freight Tools or another low cost tool store. Easiest way to drain the tank is open the valve just a tiny bit and let it leak out while everything in the RV is totally off and your parked away from everything. The right way is to have a propane dealer purge your tank.
Attached Images

Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:00 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:

Had that happen in my 2017 Vegas.

1. No one would work on it due to liability issues.

2. Don't do anything until tank is COMPLETELY empty.

3. if you do attempt to repair it be sure the gauge is pointing up, tank removed and in its side, or you will break the float which would fix the leak but break the level indicator.

Good luck
Old 03-28-2021, 06:14 PM   #18

THOR #6433
I just burned off all the propane, funny thing is the tank never lasts this long while we are camping haha. So going to take it in and have it fixed. I could tighten it but at this point just easier to have a professional do it. I would hate to burn off all the fuel and then refill to find that I didn’t fix the problem.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #19

THOR #12189
Quote:
I just burned off all the propane, funny thing is the tank never lasts this long while we are camping haha. So going to take it in and have it fixed. I could tighten it but at this point just easier to have a professional do it. I would hate to burn off all the fuel and then refill to find that I didn’t fix the problem.
Don't turn it. That'll expand the tapered inlet. Take it to a pro.