Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2022, 02:45 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
our input - 99 Cent in Montana!!?! I find that hard to believe.

some places we find propane, some Costco's, ace hardware, some gas stations, ....

our favorite places are the propane dealers found along the drive. they usually have they best prices, and friendly service. sometimes there is minimum purchase, like 20$.

now, something you may not know, we didn't, stopped at a Costco in Nevada and they looked at our portable tank, where there is a manufactured date code, and the date code on it was over 10 years old, to which the attendant stated, we can not fill containers over 10 years old! I didn't know about the date code or the time restriction. what will we do you ask - exchange it next time it is empty, Walmart is our favorite place for that, best prices.

now, about our configuration, we have the onboard 9 gal tank, and 2 bbq style portables, about 5g's each. we use the portables when we are parked for more than a day because they are much easier to exchange than finding a fill station. AND, and this is big for us, we have a quick connect on the main on board tank. so we turn the main off and connect the portable using it until we depart. the only down side to the quick connect is you need to confirm is is properly connected so it does not leak at the connection. just wiggle it until it seats. or, get a better quick connect connection. we obtained ours at a propane fill station next to a gas station. next time we are at a real propane distributor we will inquire about a better quick connect. another tip on using quick connect, turn it off and let it run out as when you disconnect it, what is in the line is discharged into space.

for now, we are at the Idaho (where the gas prices are about 4.30$/g) border to Canada (where the gas prices are about 8$/g) with reservations in Bamff for a week, where the current temps are highs 30's, lows teens and 20's. on our way to Alaska! so, we we may be using more propane that usual. if you are in the area, headed that way, contact us for a rendezvous or convoy.

happy trails!

Old 05-06-2022, 03:11 PM   #22

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I wouldn't go half a block out of my way to save money on the miniscule amount of propane we use.
It costs me $1 per mile to run my 24.1.

If we stop for fuel and a roller dog and no one is at the propane stack, ok.
If not we travel on until we're conveniently at a gas station that happens to sells propane and there is no one at the stack.
Propane is never critical to us because we're not the 1/3 tank type.
It would be our same routine if we stayed at the kind of RV parks with veal pens and gift stores.

A trip to
'Gooberetts Church of the Dewey Death and Discount Propane Emporium'
GENERALLY is not the adventure/distraction/unknown/$20 minimum/propane guy not making bail till noon I look for in Dogthrower KY. If we have a primary reason we love the stop at those places. But a stop specifically for propane? Never.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:10 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I wouldn't go half a block out of my way to save money on the miniscule amount of propane we use.
It costs me $1 per mile to run my 24.1.

If we stop for fuel and a roller dog and no one is at the propane stack, ok.
If not we travel on until we're conveniently at a gas station that happens to sells propane and there is no one at the stack.
Propane is never critical to us because we're not the 1/3 tank type.
It would be our same routine if we stayed at the kind of RV parks with veal pens and gift stores.

A trip to
'Gooberetts Church of the Dewey Death and Discount Propane Emporium'
GENERALLY is not the adventure/distraction/unknown/$20 minimum/propane guy not making bail till noon I look for in Dogthrower KY. If we have a primary reason we love the stop at those places. But a stop specifically for propane? Never.

Yes sir, we like to keep or RV ready to go. Full Fresh water tank, Full of Gas, Full of Propane and waste mostly empty (little usage from being at home)

I just looked at all my propane receipts and the most we ever spent was $17; so I would never get to the $20 minimum. Then again, I bet the gas may be so much higher than what I pay at home' that I would likely easily go over $20 minimum?

I don't know all of the details but I heard story of the Ohio State / Washington Commander NFL QB was somehow going to get gas for a vehicle that had run out and got hit and killed on a Florida highway A sad tragic loss.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:37 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Same here as above!
Yes sir, we like to keep or RV ready to go. Full Fresh water tank, Full of Gas, Full of Propane and waste mostly empty (little usage from being at home)
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:44 PM   #25

Model: compass
State: Washington
THOR #21126
Almost anyplace that fills propane bottles will fill your rig. I wait for a quarter tank. Not a very frequent fill visit.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #26

Model: A.C.E. 32.1
THOR #20881
A lot of Costco's have propane and do on board as well! https://www.rvandplaya.com/costco-pr...ns_by_State_US
Old 05-11-2022, 08:57 PM   #27

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
Last winter I was hotel boondocking [I spend the night in the camper with the dogs while the women/kids stay inside the hotel]. We were in the Kansas City, KS area for a four day swim meet. After the second night, I was down to 1/4 tank of propane. Temps were in the 40 daytime to 15 nighttime range. I first went to Cabella's. All they had were empty 20# bottles. It was Sunday and most bulk vendors were closed for the weekend. Finally I drove across the river to Leavenworth, KS, to a Tractor Supply where they can fill onboard.
I now have the equipment [hoses/fittings] to partially backfill the onboard tank from a 20# tank that can be found anywhere.
JC
Old 05-11-2022, 08:57 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlySmoke View Post
Almost anyplace that fills propane bottles will fill your rig. I wait for a quarter tank. Not a very frequent fill visit.
The frequent fill visit is assumptive on how many trips you may make. On any trip of any relevance, I will always fill before leaving. Usually while I am out to fill the RV with gas.

I would never knowingly leave on a trip with less than 75% full tank and relying on propane on the road. I get people do, and that may explain why so many want to carry the extra portable propane tanks as well as the adaptors to use them on their RVs?

If I were going to a freezing place for more than a week, I would expect to have to buy propane on the road or camp where I may be staying. But truth be told, I am not intentionally going to a freezing place in my RV, and if I did; they will have to have shore power for my electric heaters. Approaching 3 years and never had to buy propane on the road. I spend about $11 -$17 every time I top off. Topping off regularly is also good practice as each time you fill, a Propane Technician is basically ensuring your system is functioning.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-11-2022, 09:04 PM   #29

THOR #18675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I would never knowingly leave on a trip with less than 75% full tank and relying on propane on the road. I get people do and that may explain why so many want to carry the extra portable propane tanks as well as the adaptors to use them on their RVs?
Another reason to keep the propane tanks full is to avoid the possibility of condensation forming inside the tank
JC
Old 05-11-2022, 09:07 PM   #30

THOR #20220
Quote:
The frequent fill visit is assumptive on how many trips you may make. On any trip of any relevance, I will always fill before leaving. Usually while I am out to fill the RV with gas.

I would never knowingly leave on a trip with less than 75% full tank and relying on propane on the road. I get people do, and that may explain why so many want to carry the extra portable propane tanks as well as the adaptors to use them on their RVs?

If I were going to a freezing place for more than a week, I would expect to have to buy propane on the road or camp where I may be staying. But truth be told, I am not intentionally going to a freezing place in my RV, and if I did; they will have to have shore power for my electric heaters. Approaching 3 years and never had to buy propane on the road. I spend about $11 -$17 every time I top off. Topping off regularly is also good practice as each time you fill, a Propane Technician is basically ensuring your system is functioning.
Lora and I agree 100%.. and same if electric hookup 1500 watt space heaters.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:09 PM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I now have the equipment [hoses/fittings] to partially backfill the onboard tank from a 20# tank that can be found anywhere.
JC

I concur it is nice to have valve fitting for connecting a standard 20# tank. Even for me; that I never can foresee a need for. I don't understand why the fittings would NOT be standard install? This is something I could see me adding one day just to have, it is cheap enough. But I could never see me traveling with a spare propane tank in my RV; and if I had an emergency; I would have to buy a full tank setup. I already have three 20# tanks at home that I try to hide
Old 05-11-2022, 09:28 PM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
Another reason to keep the propane tanks full is to avoid the possibility of condensation forming inside the tank
JC

And if it is full all the time when sitting; and you check and see the level is declining you know you have a leak

I know you suppose to turn the propane tank off, but I never do, because I worry about other issues such as getting air in the lines.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:43 PM   #33

THOR #20220
Sold all our 20 pound tanks with some propane I'm.
Took 1 day $40 each and list tank year
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:46 PM   #34
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
JC
The only thing that condenses in a propane tank is vapor propane to liquid propane. They are NOT open to the atmosphere.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:11 PM   #35

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:

Your tank is considered full at 80%.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:56 PM   #36

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Your tank is considered full at 80%.
Correct 80% actual tank but 100% on gauge inside. So if you wish to split hairs it is 75% of 80% actual physical tank because I did not specify which gauge.

But from the Inside RV gauge perspective it does not matter. When my tank is 80% actual full, my RV gauge shows 100% full inside. I always go by inside.

But again, call me crazy, but I have NEVER looked at my gauge outside and said I am down too low, so I need to go buy propane. I always fill up on any relevant trip to 100% of my RV gauge (80% technical tank)

But if it shows 75% full or higher at the RV gauge per my previous post I may not worry, if I am only going on short trip or if it is Summer. I am 100% full now. I last bought propane early March, I likely will not dip below 75% RV gauge until October. If so; it will be because I was somewhere boondocking on few trips and I ran my fridge the entire time.

I have topped off several times only needing 3 or 4 gallons. I was a Boy Scout, Our Motto is "Be Prepared" Water Tank 100% full, Propane Tank 100% Full, Gas Tank 100% Full, Black Tank Drained, Gray Tank Drained, and all tires exactly what the Yellow sticker says 82 psi; or I ain't riding with myself on the trip a I am about to take.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:01 PM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The only thing that condenses in a propane tank is vapor propane to liquid propane. They are NOT open to the atmosphere.
Good info. But question I have that I do not understand. Can you explain how air get in propane lines (if it actually does)? I have NEVER had that problem but I have read a lot and see as troubleshooting steps for some peeps that may not get their oven or fridge started?

Another way to ask, is should I have any worry if I turn my propane tank valve off and on with regularity? Understand that I have never turned it OFF
Old 05-11-2022, 11:32 PM   #38

THOR #18675
If the refueler does not purge the line/fittings prior to pumping propane into your tank, a small amount of air can enter the system.
JC
Old 05-11-2022, 11:57 PM   #39
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Good info. But question I have that I do not understand. Can you explain how air get in propane lines (if it actually does)? I have NEVER had that problem but I have read a lot and see as troubleshooting steps for some peeps that may not get their oven or fridge started?

Another way to ask, is should I have any worry if I turn my propane tank valve off and on with regularity? Understand that I have never turned it OFF
If you have a small propane leak in your lines/fittings (and turn off the valve at the tank) or you try to use the propane when it is off at the tank, air can enter the lines.

Our propane is also always on except when required to be off by local statute.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:15 AM   #40

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
If you have a small propane leak in your lines/fittings (and turn off the valve at the tank) or you try to use the propane when it is off at the tank, air can enter the lines.

Our propane is also always on except when required to be off by local statute.
Thank you, I have always made sure that the Fridge, Water Heater & Furnace were OFF when going into a Tunnel (which we have done a few times), and when pulling in to get Gas. The Fridge use to be my biggest concern because we use to always run it when driving. I just like Ice Cold beer period whenever I have stopped driving. But since we have the fridge running on 1000w Inverter / Alternator now, we never need propane when driving any more. It has never been that cold where we needed furnace heat while driving, and we don't need hot water while driving. We do have a propane stove / oven that I might light once every 6 months while at home; just so I can remember how to light it and verify it works; it is basically brand new with some labels still on it