Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2022, 06:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
THOR #26650
Propane sources

Setting out with our new compass and wondering how hard it is to find refills for propane? Any source of listings for on-board refills?

Old 05-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Almost any truck stop.

Beware of driving out of your way to save a dollar. It never pays off though math challenged folks disagree.

This time of year I don't think we could use 6 gallons a month if we really tried to.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:32 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Most all bigger campgrounds have propane available...even if you're not staying there. U Haul (the bigger, company owned that have storage available) facilities have it as well.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Tractor Supply usually has pretty cheap propane and can fill onboard tanks.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:58 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Allstays, the app for finding campgrounds, also shows many propane fill places. Also do a search for propane fill stations in Google Maps near where you are or will be. That often shows bbq tank exchange locations as well. So I zoom in on the location using satellite view and look for a long 30' white cylinder with road access on the perimiter, fenced in and often surrounded with hash marks. That is almost always a good place to fill up with propane.

U Haul and Tractor Supply are my normal go to places for propane.

David

David
Old 05-04-2022, 10:33 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I always fill at up at Strickland Propane. They have all the best things when it comes to propane and propane related accessories. They are fully staffed and the tank wipes are the nicest folks in town.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:08 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Most campgrounds have propane filling stations. Also many OCJ stations.

Do a little research when planning the trip.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:25 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
And don't forget FlyingJ and Loves truck stops.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:55 AM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Strickland is a favorite of mine also, but that guy keeps calling me
'Honey'
And I'm starting to like it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:52 AM   #10

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Try to find a Mom and Pop to support on the way to a campground we frequent.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:16 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
We have 17.6 gallon tank. We have never come close to using it all on any trip let alone needing some while we are driving down the highway.

Thus far I always fill at one of several U - haul places. It is just easier for me to pull in, they do the work and I go.

I think for us to use it all, it would have to be 7 - 10 days of subfreezing temperatures and fridge running too. We are never that long without shorepower. With shorepower we run a 1500 watt heater in front of the coach just to keep some balance because the propane heater is in the rear. The electric heater also reduces the demand for propane.

Hot water heater is negligible for out 6 gal tank.

If I had to buy on the road, I would try to finds Loves or similar (as long as I didn't have to cross the freeway to get to it)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:18 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Bretz in billings montana 99 cents a gallon
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:34 AM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Bretz in billings montana 99 cents a gallon
It runs me $3.49 now as Alternative Fuel. When we 1st got RV the 1st year it was only $1.99/gallon.

All of the propane talk gonna make me search for Propane Threads where people may have cleaned and painted theirs.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
We have 17.6 gallon tank. We have never come close to using it all on any trip let alone needing some while we are driving down the highway.

Thus far I always fill at one of several U - haul places. It is just easier for me to pull in, they do the work and I go.

I think for us to use it all, it would have to be 7 - 10 days of subfreezing temperatures and fridge running too. We are never that long without shorepower. With shorepower we run a 1500 watt heater in front of the coach just to keep some balance because the propane heater is in the rear. The electric heater also reduces the demand for propane.

Hot water heater is negligible for out 6 gal tank.

If I had to buy on the road, I would try to finds Loves or similar (as long as I didn't have to cross the freeway to get to it)

Water heater uses a lot more than the fridge!
Old 05-05-2022, 02:33 PM   #15

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Some MENARDS stores fill RV's and bottles

Most all rural communities have at least one propane distributor that will fill RV's

We have paid the highest back in the day at KOA

Neighbor who owns a very large propane distributorship said price is more than double one year ago and no sign of it dropping

Luckily, we had a very mild winter in the MidWest
Old 05-05-2022, 04:41 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Strickland is a favorite of mine also, but that guy keeps calling me
'Honey'
And I'm starting to like it.
Last time I was there, they were running a special on Alamo Beer. I didn't think to ask when they branched out to alcohol sales as the guy from Dale's Dead Bug was spraying the office.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:11 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: California
THOR #25900
Tried to fill up at a local U-Haul and this place has some new kind of propane filler. Kinda looks like a unleaded/diesel pump. They tried like hell but couldn't fill up my motorhome.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:15 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Water heater uses a lot more than the fridge!
Not for us. We normally only turn the water heater on 10 minutes before needing the shower. 30 minutes later the gas heater is generally off. But even with that there have been time where we had shore power running AC & Fridge of electric and turn gas heater on, it was NOT measurable to us.

The real point is that the only way possible that I know to drain propane down is to run the Gas Heat, and I throw in the Fridge because I could see it running 24/7 during the same.

To take this point home even further, I just happened to be talking with Manchester Tank today and they were suggesting I run my propane tank empty before I try to clean, sand and paint the propane tank. Being Summer and with normal usage; it may not be until October before I can use up my propane in my tank. Fridge & Gas water heater is only options, but my Fridge runs mostly off batteries or shorepower these days.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:26 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrick View Post
Tried to fill up at a local U-Haul and this place has some new kind of propane filler. Kinda looks like a unleaded/diesel pump. They tried like hell but couldn't fill up my motorhome.
What did they say? Was it unique to your Motorhome, or they never got it to work for anyone?

Being in California no telling what kind of rules and regulations they may have. Thus far in 2 1/2 years I have only got propane refilled at U haul. Couple times they were out of propane but we live in DFW area; and you are always 15-20 minutes from the next U haul facility.

One thing though, I can always tell if the technician knows what they are doing. I once had a kid that I did not trust so I went inside and had a Manager come out and double check. Not sure what all he did but it was peace of mind.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:37 AM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrick View Post
Obviously, they were too stupid to know which adapter to put on their dispenser. It's not like MHs use some weird proprietary fill connection.