Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #10354
Tires? marcus@marcuslemonis.com CEO CAMPING WORLD

I love his shows demonstrating the lack of business acumen many small business owners have. He attacks their problems head on and often buys into their businesses. He is smart and has great business knowledge.

Now let's look at Camping World. It is a huge business buying up many small RV sales businesses to become a behemoth in the RV sales world. They pretty much sell RV's AS-IS after being on their lots for varying amounts of time. The walk-throughs they do with customers seem pretty thorough until you leave the dealership. Then you find the things that they did not show you and that they should have been aware of through knowledge and experience.

I drove away with my purchase last November only to find a number of problems: Three of the 6 tires were underinflated by 30 lbs; The radio had a bad right channel due to a wiring harness errors known as a problem by Thor; and the house batteries were leaking and shorted: i asked for them to be check during the walk through but they attempted to recharge and left me with dead, shorted house batteries; the 12V cigarette lighter plug was not working because the 30A fuse was blown in the engine compartment; the slide out spice drawer was not secure and rolled in and out during my trip home; The foldout computer table screws were all stripped and falling out; the coach was dirty on the inside and filled with Thor Vegas brochures...anyone want one?; Couch seatbelts had fallen behind the sets. etc, etc etc. Is this anyway to run a dealership??? Ask Marcus cuz he owns the whole kit and kaboodle. He should do a show on his own dealerships to see if they can fix typical RV problems or make the problems worse.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
I love his shows demonstrating the lack of business acumen many small business owners have. He attacks their problems head on and often buys into their businesses. He is smart and has great business knowledge.

Now let's look at Camping World. It is a huge business buying up many small RV sales businesses to become a behemoth in the RV sales world. They pretty much sell RV's AS-IS after being on their lots for varying amounts of time. The walk-throughs they do with customers seem pretty thorough until you leave the dealership. Then you find the things that they did not show you and that they should have been aware of through knowledge and experience.

I drove away with my purchase last November only to find a number of problems: Three of the 6 tires were underinflated by 30 lbs; The radio had a bad right channel due to a wiring harness errors known as a problem by Thor; and the house batteries were leaking and shorted: i asked for them to be check during the walk through but they attempted to recharge and left me with dead, shorted house batteries; the 12V cigarette lighter plug was not working because the 30A fuse was blown in the engine compartment; the slide out spice drawer was not secure and rolled in and out during my trip home; The foldout computer table screws were all stripped and falling out; the coach was dirty on the inside and filled with Thor Vegas brochures...anyone want one?; Couch seatbelts had fallen behind the sets. etc, etc etc. Is this anyway to run a dealership??? Ask Marcus cuz he owns the whole kit and kaboodle. He should do a show on his own dealerships to see if they can fix typical RV problems or make the problems worse.
You would have to look in the Comedy Section of the Channel Guide to find the station it would be on.[emoji2] [emoji3] [emoji2]
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Well Stated.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Your experience is not universal. We have purchased 2 machines at two different CW dealerships. In both cases the experience was quite satisfactory. To be sure there were some adjustments and defects requiring attention after the sale but neither dealership tried to hide anything and was responsive to our needs. They are not your friend, for sure, but neither do they seem any more obtuse than any other business trying to sell you stuff. Perhaps it’s just that the machines are more complex and less familiar than more common purchases like cars and appliances. And, of course they are built to a price point. Our machine cost less than a nice pickup truck and even with its issues I consider it a good value.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:54 PM   #5

State: California
THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Your experience is not universal. We have purchased 2 machines at two different CW dealerships. In both cases the experience was quite satisfactory. To be sure there were some adjustments and defects requiring attention after the sale but neither dealership tried to hide anything and was responsive to our needs. They are not your friend, for sure, but neither do they seem any more obtuse than any other business trying to sell you stuff. Perhaps it’s just that the machines are more complex and less familiar than more common purchases like cars and appliances. And, of course they are built to a price point. Our machine cost less than a nice pickup truck and even with its issues I consider it a good value.
I agree with you that they are cheap and that this dealer may be one of the lesser quality businesses but I still expect at least the tires to be filled for a 2,000 mile journey to California. They were aware of my future trip from Wisconsin to California and it was my life at risk. They had not done anything with this vehicle while it sat on their lot for a year, only abused it.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
That's frustrating.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:12 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
He was talking about racist, not politics.

I’m surprised this misinformation is coming up again.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:23 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I was out of line there, and I apologize. Let's get back to RVs.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Doesn’t mean he can’t own/run a bad business either way. I also respect people having the right to dislike him.