Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2022, 11:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37XL
State: Maine
THOR #24376
Propane water heater popps / backfires

Thanks in advance for reading my post.
The 110v portion of the water heater does not work at all and just the last couple days the propane portion backfires. Sometimes it actually shoots a flame out the vent. So it's a 2017 Challenger 37LX. I have had it for 6 months (3rd owner) 3 weeks into our 1st trip 3400 miles so far. We are going to have below freezing temps here for the next couple months. If the 110 side worked I would use it, but now my generator is cutting out more and more with a 14 fault code. BTW..The coach is level and the wind is not blowing

Old 02-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Generator - https://www.rvandplaya.com/how-to-fi...nan-generator/

Check your water heater tube for insect/blockage. Not knowing your brand water heater, maybe there’s a breaker either inside or outside tripped? Loose wire? Have you searched this forum?
Old 02-24-2022, 12:49 PM   #3

THOR #24376
Water heater problems

Thanks for the response,
All is good with what you mentioned. Forum search came up with zero
Old 02-24-2022, 12:55 PM   #4

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Massachusetts
THOR #26005
Did you purge the line? Shut off the heater and turn the stove on. See if theres air coming out of it
Old 02-24-2022, 01:17 PM   #5

THOR #24376
Water heater problems

Thans for the response. No air in the propane system
Old 02-24-2022, 01:19 PM   #6

THOR #26005
Im assuming that these MH furnace need to be serviced as well like at our homes. Has it ever gotten a service?
Old 02-24-2022, 01:30 PM   #7

THOR #24376
Water heater problems

Could you tell me what a water heater service for a MH would include?

Mine works but sometimes when it reheats the water, I get these backfires.

As A home owner for 50 years I have never had my water heaters serviced. per se!. I drain the water from the heater every year and replace them ever 5 or 6 years. That would not have anything thing to do with the igniting of the fuel at a proportion to cause an explosion.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:30 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntrinh15 View Post
Im assuming that these MH furnace need to be serviced as well like at our homes. Has it ever gotten a service?
Furnace? This thread is about a water heater.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:36 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dent View Post
The 110v portion of the water heater does not work at all and just the last couple days the propane portion backfires. Sometimes it actually shoots a flame out the vent. So it's a 2017 Challenger 37LX. I have had it for 6 months (3rd owner) 3 weeks into our 1st trip 3400 miles so far. We are going to have below freezing temps here for the next couple months. If the 110 side worked I would use it, but now my generator is cutting out more and more with a 14 fault code. BTW..The coach is level and the wind is not blowing
Have you been to YouTube University?

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...flame+sputters

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lt+not+working
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:37 PM   #10

THOR #26005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Furnace? This thread is about a water heater.
Lol sorry
Old 02-24-2022, 02:17 PM   #11

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
The tiny orifice may have eggs or web inside. Turn propane off. Remove orifice and clean with compressed air before and after the orifice. If that does not fix it, there is an issue with the system and it needs good research or a good technician. Good luck. (PS - I had the bug eggs one year. I did finally find Mr. Bug dead but downstream quite a ways.)
Old 02-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
The propane section of the Atwood water heater has a DSI ignition and uses the propane pressure to establish flame flow through the burner tube. Alignment of the spark and mixture is critical to start and to maintain a constant flame front. You can read how to so in the service manual or take it to a authorized service center and have it checked.

I am reluctant to give service advice to those who have to ask how to repair faults because the is the possibility of an explosion if the attempted service is done incorrectly, so my advice is to read the service manual and proceed carefully if you feel confident.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #13

THOR #24376
OK thanks, I just watched a Utube video I guess I'll have to take some things apart.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:55 PM   #14

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Have you worked on the electric heating problem?
Might be the heating element, if the tank has been empty and electric on
Lowes, Home Depot etc have 120 VAC elements.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:22 PM   #15

THOR #24376
Hope you find your missing votes, If you find them what is to be done?

As Far As The (AFAT) electric problem I need to get the intermittent propane water heater fixed first, then maybe my generator #14 trouble code then maybe the electric water heater. then maybe my main slide (it needs help to go in and out). then there is this engine light, and then the intermittent light with the power vacuum issue with the engine. then my bedroom TV does not turn on. can't get the speaker bar to work, the analog satellite TV does not get reception here, so the wife wants a dish. I think I have most everything else. Oh wait, the holding tanks partially freeze up (the Thor brochure says they are heated, tech support says they are heated by the propane interior heater HA HA) but I fixed the valves and water pump freezing issue by adding small ceramic heater to each of the related basement areas, but I have extension cords hanging outside the coach while going down the road. So I need to install 110v receptacles in those two bays and install heating pads for the 4 holding tanks. I did get the new door lock to work but it still hits the screen door (must be from overseas?) my wife can't open it. I am sure there are some other things I need to do like add a petcock to the overflows on the potable water tank (Lost half a tank getting set up yesterday) but I really need to get ready for 18" of snow tonight. Deep breath, and I am still in my PJ'S
Old 02-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #16

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Quote:

As Far As The (AFAT) electric problem I need to get the intermittent propane water heater fixed first, then maybe my generator #14 trouble code then maybe the electric water heater. then maybe my main slide (it needs help to go in and out). then there is this engine light, and then the intermittent light with the power vacuum issue with the engine. then my bedroom TV does not turn on. can't get the speaker bar to work, the analog satellite TV does not get reception here, so the wife wants a dish. I think I have most everything else. Oh wait, the holding tanks partially freeze up (the Thor brochure says they are heated, tech support says they are heated by the propane interior heater HA HA) but I fixed the valves and water pump freezing issue by adding small ceramic heater to each of the related basement areas, but I have extension cords hanging outside the coach while going down the road. So I need to install 110v receptacles in those two bays and install heating pads for the 4 holding tanks. I did get the new door lock to work but it still hits the screen door (must be from overseas?) my wife can't open it. I am sure there are some other things I need to do like add a petcock to the overflows on the potable water tank (Lost half a tank getting set up yesterday) but I really need to get ready for 18" of snow tonight. Deep breath, and I am still in my PJ'S

Brad didn't find them

WOW that's the same list I have, but spread over 6 years.
It's a good thing $s,$$$.00 you're wanting to fix them yourself
BIG money + it would take a "normal" dealer years to fix them
Old 02-24-2022, 10:52 PM   #17

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Is this a recent problem or has it always done this? I replaced my water heater not long ago and the new one did that. I adjusted the combustion air volume and it settled right down. Mine was burning too rich. You can test that by opening your outside cover while the burner is on. Use your finger to block part of the air inlet and see if the flame settles down. It’s a simple set screw to adjust the slide. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:21 AM   #18

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntrinh15 View Post
Did you purge the line? Shut off the heater and turn the stove on. See if theres air coming out of it
His electric won’t work.
Old 02-25-2022, 02:14 AM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
His electric won’t work.
He also said his heater was popping and backfiring on gas
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:05 AM   #20

THOR #17765
Quote:

It sounds as though this will be a challenging trip. Where are you traveling to?