Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
Proper silicones for fiberglass outside sealing seams

I am looking for recommendations on the proper and best clear sealant to use to do some weather protection on the exterior trims on the slides, speakers and trip.

I am in a warm climate now, not in Mass and would like to do ssome simple "stop Leaks" while I can.

The roof is fine and is fiberglass also and at home in the summer I will also want to re-sal the vents, seams and AC with a lap sealant.

Any product recommendations that will last and do the job right?

Thanks

Old 03-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #2

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Dicor for the roof although some say to use eternabond and never have to do it again. Geocel pro flex for the seams.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:19 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
On the exterior of my RV's I have always used a quality RTV sealant. I made the mistake years ago of using RTV on the roof of a former coach I owned was an oops moment.
Only Dicor lap sealant or eteranabond tape on the roof
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:42 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Use polyurethane sealant or Lexel on vertical services. It not as easy to use as silicone but i believe it to be a much better product.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:25 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.2
THOR #8180
Around the speakers use clear silicone. It’s not permanent which is what you want, if you ever want to swap them out for better quality they’ll come off easier than some other sealants. For my roof I use flex seal, comes in caulk, liquid and strips pretty much covers any job you have. Oh and use dicor putty around those tail lights and get rid of the cheap foam gaskets.
I’m still in Mass so I kinda envy you in warmer climate. Good luck and safe trip when you decide to head back.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:37 AM   #6

THOR #21704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
Around the speakers use clear silicone. It’s not permanent which is what you want, if you ever want to swap them out for better quality they’ll come off easier than some other sealants. For my roof I use flex seal, comes in caulk, liquid and strips pretty much covers any job you have. Oh and use dicor putty around those tail lights and get rid of the cheap foam gaskets.
I’m still in Mass so I kinda envy you in warmer climate. Good luck and safe trip when you decide to head back.
Also from Mass but wanted to get out before the weather came in. Left just before th first heavy storms in Jan and turned back south when the cold snap came in. My plan was to seal this thing up for the next season and if we get more rain and snow I'll be all set. Really not in the mood to have to winterize but it is what it is when we head back the end of this month.

So in the warmer spots I can get the water leak concerns behind me.

At least that's the plan.

It would be nice if the Mfg just used the right stuff and the quality to help reduce the ongoing resealing. It can be done but that would hurt the service they over charge for.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2021, 02:58 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I use clear silicone of the vertical surfaces. As others have said, it is not permanent and can be easily redone when required.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #8

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
Winnebago has a chart of what types sealant to use for different parts of the RV. It can be downloaded. It is worth getting even if you have another brand coach.
JC
Old 03-18-2021, 03:38 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
I am looking for recommendations on the proper and best clear sealant to use to do some weather protection on the exterior trims on the slides, speakers and trip.

I am in a warm climate now, not in Mass and would like to do ssome simple "stop Leaks" while I can.

The roof is fine and is fiberglass also and at home in the summer I will also want to re-sal the vents, seams and AC with a lap sealant.

Any product recommendations that will last and do the job right?

Thanks
The BEST THING I"VE FOUND is Eterna Bond Roof Seal. I got the 4" wide roll but it comes in different widths. It is great and will seal anything for GOOD!!! Be sure you put it down right the first time cause theres no pulling it back off. You could replace your TPO or metal roof with this stuff and not need anything else!!! Bob Trice
Old 03-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
This is what I use on the joints along the sides.
Purchased on Amazon.

ProflexRV Flexible Sealant
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70076C6B-C6C9-40A5-81A5-EA8D80992132.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	29178  
Old 03-18-2021, 05:19 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
The BEST THING I"VE FOUND is Eterna Bond Roof Seal. I got the 4" wide roll but it comes in different widths. It is great and will seal anything for GOOD!!! Be sure you put it down right the first time cause theres no pulling it back off. You could replace your TPO or metal roof with this stuff and not need anything else!!! Bob Trice

OP is asking about sealant for use on the sidewalls. If you use eternabond on the sides your coach soon will look dreadful. The stuff does it’s job but shows it’s age after a while. I use Lexel from Lowe’s. It’s pretty amazing stuff.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
OP is asking about sealant for use on the sidewalls. If you use eternabond on the sides your coach soon will look dreadful. The stuff does it’s job but shows it’s age after a while. I use Lexel from Lowe’s. It’s pretty amazing stuff.
I'm sure your right about that but Eterna Bond is for the roof. If it would work anywhere that would look ok or was out of the way, it's pretty darn amazing!!!