Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2018, 04:09 AM   #1
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Power Converter

My 55amp power converter is starting to get very noisy when plugged into shore power. The only noise heard use to be a fan once in a while but now there is a loud humming. It’s located under the bed which makes matters worse. I’m sure the factory WFCO 55 amp converter is not the best quality so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a better quality converter.

Thanks

Old 02-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Welcome to the club.

I replaced my old converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD9260 many years ago and it has performed flawlessly ever since. There are several other newer options available and I am sure you will hear all about them in the next few hours.

It is one of the best modifications you can do, and its pretty easy too.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
The Progressive Dynamics 4655 is a direct replacement for the WFCO 55 amp converter/charger in the Axis/Vegas. I have had one for a year and it has worked flawlessly. Relatively easy replacement, if u know something about electricity.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #4

THOR #1765
These are the two page instructions to replace your WFCO8955 with a Progressive Dynamics PD4655.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75A084CA-90DF-457F-9439-4CB3B37C854C.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	9162   Click image for larger version

Name:	A973C756-7BF3-4DD4-886A-E710B4C8CB01.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	9163  

Old 02-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #5

THOR #4117
Not to push any particular dealer, but, BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics comes highly recommended. Knowledgeable and competitive prices.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #6

THOR #4117
When I went to the Best Converter web page they had the WFCO 9855 55 Amp Deckmount Converter charger for $120, not the $150 that the reply I previously sent directs you to. The computer some how changed what I had typed???

Old 02-25-2018, 04:53 PM   #7

THOR #1765
PPL Motorhomes is another place to check. The prices are within a couple of dollars, shipping and taxes will make the difference. You probably want to buy the pendant too - if you boondock much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55871CD4-5478-454F-875E-6A2C5681A540.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	9165  
Old 02-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
Kev

THOR #3918
Converter

Thanks for the info I am checking into different the converters mentioned. Is there any benefit to going to a 70 amp converter from a 55 amp?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #9

THOR #4117
Going to a larger converter won't hurt but it may take more space. If you are planning on increasing the size of your battery bank or planning to increase the battery drain by installing some high current item it may make sense, but if you are happy with what you have you probably won't benefit by a larger converter. The current drawn by the batteries is determined by the battery state of charge, not by the current rating of the charger.

Installing a larger converter may require you to install larger wiring to handle the additional current and will probably cost more. when I changed converters the current drain increased by quite a lot since I replaced an old single stage converter with a modern 3-4 stage. The old wiring was #8 wire and I replaced it with #4 wire, partly because the current increased from about 5A to 30+A, and also to decrease the voltage drop.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #10

THOR #1765
Tenbear is right. The wiring is the problem with upgrading to a larger charger and Thor is not known for oversizing anything. It would be more than a good idea to check and increase the size if the wiring so you don’t overheat it an start a fire. You might also want to check the circuit breaker and upgrade that too. Not completely necessary under 80 amps, but not a bad idea. Unless you are changing to Trojan 105 batteries or something similar, the hassle is probably not worth the effort.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #11

THOR #4117
Another thought. If your charging current is limited by your 55A converter then a larger converter could help. This would only apply if your battery bank was deeply discharged. If you have several batteries in series-parallel this may be the case depending in how well your manufacturer designed the charging system???
Old 02-25-2018, 08:37 PM   #12
Kev

THOR #3918
Converter

Thanks for the wealth of information it really is helpful. I only have two batteries and do not plan on increasing them as they serve our purpose fine. When I change the converter out I will probably also change the batteries to some deep cycling batteries.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #13

THOR #4117
Sounds like a good plan.