Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite
State: North Carolina
THOR #2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrirn View Post
I went to a local tire store and confirmed that they could supply and replace the front tires on my Thor A.C.E. They didn't have a bay large enough for the coach so they had me park beside their building and had me raise the front wheels off the ground with my front levelers so they could do their work. Thirty minutes later, I'm on my way.

If a local tire shop can't do the work, just ask them for the location of a shop that can. As others have said, most shops that service large trucks have the capability.
I have the 26 Ft Thor and my local tire dealer also had to work on the tire replacement outside their garage. But they had the ability to raise the RV to replace all 6 tires. But my recommendation is to check with a local tire dealer to see if they can replace the tires and as you said, if not they could recommend a dealer that could. Personally I believe a truck repair shop or dealer would charge much more than a local tire dealer if they can do the work.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #22

State: Washington
THOR #10744
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandserena View Post
The only dealership in our area is a Camping World that I'm not too impressed with. Where are you all going to get your RV tires? Of course, I've checked all of the "normal" tire places and they don't do RVs.
We purchased our tire from a tire dealership called Les Straub here in the Pacific Northwest. I wouldn't trust anything from CW. Our new Thor Vegas we purchased thru CW you could see the tire cords after less than 10,000 miles.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #23

Model: Mandalay
State: Montana
THOR #15834
Tires for RV

Quote:
The only dealership in our area is a Camping World that I'm not too impressed with. Where are you all going to get your RV tires? Of course, I've checked all of the "normal" tire places and they don't do RVs.
Not sure what you mean by normal tire place. Many tire dealers only sell car and small truck tires because they don't have the equipment to handle large tires.
But ................... any tire dealer who specializes in truck tires has the equipment and can obtain the tires for you.
A few years ago I got talked into putting truck tires on my 36' Winnebago. One of the dumbest things I ever did. They changed how the motorhome handled and they make our ride really stiff and we felt EVERY bump in the road.
Michelin and Goodyear both make a tire specifically designed for motorhomes. I have had both and they are significantly better tires for a motorhome. I prefer Michelin but you need to dollar shop and if Goodyear gives you a better deal they are good tires also.
Earilier this year I called about 20 different truck tire dealers for tires for my 40' Thor Mandalay. I got quotes from $4,000. to over $7,000. Camper World was the HIGHEST. I suggest you stay away from them. I ended up with 6 Michelin tires for $4004.52.

With a cell phone it cost nothing but time to call every truck tire dealer within a couple hundred miles. You definitely will find at least one that really wants to sell some tires. You may have to drive 150 miles but it may also save you a thousand dollars or more.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
I understand that a lot of RVers dislike Camping World however they service RV’s. Including tire changes. And they honor their warranty nationwide.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #25

Model: Freedom Elite
THOR #2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbates View Post
We purchased our tire from a tire dealership called Les Straub here in the Pacific Northwest. I wouldn't trust anything from CW. Our new Thor Vegas we purchased thru CW you could see the tire cords after less than 10,000 miles.
Amen, Camping World is a rip off with poor customer service once you have paid them. I had CW do an annual checkup (over $200) plus paid them $75 to replace a bulb. After I left CW I realized I did not have a copy of the tech's findings/recommendations. For over 3 months I continuously texted the service dept to get a copy and they always ignored my request. I will never go back to CW for anything!
Old 12-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Discount Tires has always done the tires on my motorhomes. They don't put it in a bay, just off to the side of the building.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #27

State: Michigan
THOR #10430
Quote:
I have great success with discount tire
Not only do they have the right tires
The one near me rotate my tires on my 30 ft. Class c
For free. I don't know of any other place that does that.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:20 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #11425
Oh man, whatever you do, don't buy tires or anything else that costs more than a few bucks from Camping World. Tires are a high dollar purchase. Would be worth shopping outside your market with the idea of combining tire purchasing with a trip someplace.

I've seen the prices for MH tires offered by the Family Motor Coach Association. They're really good. You can join FMCA for $75. They have deals with Michelin, Continental and I think Hancook. If you buy, they arrange to fix you'll up with a dealer near you.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:58 PM   #29

State: Michigan
THOR #10430
Totally unimpressed with Michelin on my motorhome.
Always kept the pressure on the money and still had blowout after blowout. Was in the truck repair services so I have a little bit of knowledge. Went to Firestone.
Ride a little harder had no blowouts in 3 years.
We're running truck weights and I'm now using truck tires.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #30

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Great Tire (and everything else!) Place!

Quote:
If you happen to cross over the mountains and turn right on a road-trip or such, you might want to give my guys a call. Westgate Tire (where 'everything rotates around you!') in Newport, TN. These people have been wonderful to us, doing all the things we've needed for our coach, ASIDE from tires, so far! It wouldn't hurt to give them a jingle just to ask for prices. 423/623-4684. They serviced our generator, changed our oils, installed Sumo springs, etc. When we are ready for tires, you can guarantee we will be going to them! Their prices are crazy low when comparing apples to apples!
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:23 AM   #31

State: New York
THOR #12610
tires

I was wondering the same about tire shops not doing RV's. I was a truck mechanic and could not see difference between truck and RV. One shop told me that their insurance required them to not deal with RV's. High cost for damages and less qualified drivers on road causes higher risk to them. I found a ford or gm (truck)( dealer is where to go but they have to be a truck shop. Nearest to me is 70 Miles away. I could get any shop or even Walmart to order and mount tires but you would have to change them yourself, BIG jack and stands
and a hard days work. Find a truck shop.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:53 AM   #32

State: California
THOR #16214
My Thor used 235/85 R16. I bought a set on the flea bay. I had my truck tire shop, I drive a big rig, install the fronts and balance. I changed the others myself with a couple of tire bars. Go to a truck tire place. If they are 22s or 24.5s they'll have them in stock. I bought Americus 10 ply. Great tires.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #33

Brand: Still Looking
State: Europe
THOR #7351
What makes it a RV tire.

To my conclusions in time, only speed is higher for RV then Transport-trucks or Lighttrucks.
Dont know what sise you have but trucktires mostly maxspeed75mph, and RV 87mph.

We In Europe dont use that speed, max is 50 or 62 mph for everything above 3500kg/7700lbs.

So if you have the trucktires, say 22.5inch , you can also use a trucktire with maxspeed higher or the same as maximum technical carspeed.

And Those mayby can be found in your nabourhood.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #34

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Tires are Expensive

And as with all things expensive I start on the internet. I would identify the tire type, size blah blah blah. Then contact tire dealers in a 20-40 mile radius and get quotes. Weigh what you get and make a decision. I always do this with expensive things and always end up with the best deal around.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #35

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
...and they all voted for AOC so they have no clue where to buy tires.
Ouch
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #36

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
brentandserena are in Fort Mills a suburb of Charlotte SC, lots of places to buy rv tires.

Brent take a look at B&B tire and wheel inc.
https://www.bbtireandwheel.com
Old 12-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #37

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Ouch
Really? In a thread asking about RV tires?
Old 12-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #38
Ron

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: California
THOR #1675
Les Schwab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbates View Post
We also went to Les Schwab. They put the tires on in the parking lot.
I’m not sure what the crappy tires have to do with CW? They install whatever you want but they don’t manufacture tires.

Are you saying you think CW took the new tires off your Vegas and installed used tires before you bought it?

It’s seems the OP is MIA?
Old 12-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #39

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
We also went to Les Schwab. They put the tires on in the parking lot.
I’m not sure what the crappy tires have to do with CW? They install whatever you want but they don’t manufacture tires.

Are you saying you think CW took the new tires off your Vegas and installed used tires before you bought it?

It’s seems the OP is MIA?
1. When we purchased our coach at CW, we were not given a choice of 'whatever we wanted'. We got what tires it had on it, and I'm willing to bet that had we asked them to swap the tires for ones of better quality, they would have let us walk.

2. I wouldn't put it passed them. After having service done at our original CW under warranty, I had occasion to contact Thor and found out they had covered parts and service that I guarantee did not end up on our coach, and was not even remotely related to what we were having done. (Think: new radio antenna request vs. Undercarriage body parts and replacement, PLUS antenna).

3. Some of us have other things to do, or other issues going on that keeps us from the internet for stretches. Patience.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:07 AM   #40

State: Washington
THOR #10744
Possible. Did a Carfax on our "New" vehicle about two years after we ordered it and received it, found out it was sitting on two lots for sale before we got it. Too say the least we were a little steamed. Won't even get Into discussion of what we went thru with CW, other than we sued them.