RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: North Carolina
THOR #3325
Question about air quick connect

Hello

I have a Thor Tuscany 2017. In the generator bay there is a female air quick connect. What is this used for? Can I run an air hose to check tire pressure? Anything I need to know when I do this like keep the engine running?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I doubt if the fitting is for the tires. It is probably a compressor blow out fitting for winterizing. It could also be a fitting to connect a hose into a container of antifreeze to let the on board pump suck up antifreeze and pump it through the lines for winterizing. Or both.

David

Old 11-19-2020, 10:23 PM   #3

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRider View Post
Hello

I have a Thor Tuscany 2017. In the generator bay there is a female air quick connect. What is this used for? Can I run an air hose to check tire pressure? Anything I need to know when I do this like keep the engine running?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can use that fitting to air up your tires. I carry 50' air hose for tires, or to inflate our kayak, kid's toys, bike tires, etc. And yes, because the air tanks are not large, you will need to run the engine to run the compressor to inflate much.
Mike
Old 11-19-2020, 10:25 PM   #4

THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I doubt if the fitting is for the tires. It is probably a compressor blow out fitting for winterizing. It could also be a fitting to connect a hose into a container of antifreeze to let the on board pump suck up antifreeze and pump it through the lines for winterizing. Or both.

David
Sorry David, but most diesel coaches have at least on fitting tapped into the lines for brakes and air bags. Can be used for tires, toys, etc.

Mike
Old 11-19-2020, 10:31 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Sorry David, but most diesel coaches have at least on fitting tapped into the lines for brakes and air bags. Can be used for tires, toys, etc.

Mike
Ahh, it is a source of high pressure air. Got it!

David
Old 11-19-2020, 10:50 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
As already noted all significant class A coaches have one or more type M female fitting.

The down side of airing your tires is your operating a 350-600 HP compressor to air a tire. I only use it for emergencies and for the most part it has been to air up other folks along the road or in parking lots that needed air. I use my Porter Cable or V-Air if I need to top off which I only do a couple times per year.

As far as the toys go I have a double manual pump and it gives the grand kids some exercise to pump them up.

Since your air governor is going to cut out around 110 and you might have that 50 foot hose attached you are going to have a time topping off tires and will find it really doesn't work well for that purpose.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:21 AM   #7

THOR #9660
I mostly agree with Mr. Mcguire, who I have found to be a wealth of useful info over the years, I just haven't felt the need to carry a separate compressor/inflator. My on board compressor cuts our at 125PSI (your experience may vary) so no problem inflating tires to well over the recommended pressure from the Michelin pressure/weight charts. I do use the compressor in my shop at home and last year only had to add air to the tires in the spring. And for the price of a nice Viair compressor, I can buy a lot of fuel for the few minutes it takes to blow up our kayak.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:51 AM   #8
Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel

Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I don't think anyone is running their diesel coach tires ANYWHERE NEAR 110 psi, but usually between 80-95 in most situations - these tires don't use the 'max' stated pressure, not by a long shot- and the onboard air outlet is PLENTY to keep your tires inflated - THATS WHAT IT"S THERE FOR.
100,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada - Northwest, GA! (also, '14 Gulfstream Amerilite and '07 ForestRiver Rockwood) : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:47 PM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I don't think anyone is running their diesel coach tires ANYWHERE NEAR 110 psi, but usually between 80-95 in most situations - these tires don't use the 'max' stated pressure, not by a long shot- and the onboard air outlet is PLENTY to keep your tires inflated - THATS WHAT IT"S THERE FOR.
Your usual right but were all wrong some times

The air quick connection is for towing and is used to raise the air suspension

My coach and many DP's rin from 110 to 125 in steer axles

The fitting would be in the rear for misc use
Old 11-28-2020, 11:32 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany 45 AT
State: Texas
THOR #20656
Tuscany 45 AT Steering Stabilizing

I have a question about adding a Steering Stabilization Kit to my 2015 Tuscany 45AT with 6000 Miles .

I was told it would help on windy days and 75MPH when Semi Rigs blow by.
And suggestions would be appreciated .

BTW
i recently contacted Thor about the Air chuck next to the 10 KW generator.
The PSI with the Engine running was about 110 PSI according to my inline
Digital gauge.
Unfortunately the tires on my rig take 120 PSI.
As I was at my home base I was able to call a friend with a compressor on his
Truck to top off the tires cold.

Many thanks,
Frank
Old 11-29-2020, 02:38 AM   #11

State: Arizona
THOR #11568
I added the Safe-T-Plus on my Aria 3901 over a year ago and love it. It tracks straighter and doesn’t move as much with the wind or other vehicles. Had it installed in Vegas. Make sure they test drive and adjust it to steer straight. I think the manufacturer installs it at cost at that factory
Old 11-29-2020, 04:13 AM   #12

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
The air coupling can be used air up tires limited by the pressure available. The real reason the air coupling is there is so the motorhome can towed. It does raise the air bags, but the air brakes must have an air supply. With low or no air supply the RV brakes will be locked. The air brakes actually are applied on the absence of air pressure by very strong springs. The air pressure works against the springs to back the brake pads or disk pads off. Keep that in mind if you ever have an air pressure failure. At a certain point you will get a low pressure alarm and you must pull over quickly. If the pressure drops more after the alarm sounds the yellow parking brake knob will pop out and the brakes will be set. You will stop immediately possibly in the middle of the road or interstate. Get out your manual and read up on air brakes.