Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2021, 11:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
Auto Gen start questions

Auto start questions.

My auto start control has test/start----off ----enable.

I lost shore power and the AC was on. I shut down the power pushed the Auto Gen start switch, the yellow light began flashing and the generator started.

That seemed fine. The AC reached temp and shut down as well as the generator shut off---I left the switch in the enable mode.

I lowered the thermostat to see if the auto gen woul start again when the AC called for it to go on.

Nothing. I can start the generator manually and it will activate all the 120 outlets go on and the AC will start. The generator will run until I hit the stop--this is the manual start switch on the upper panel

Am I correct that the auto start, when in the enable position the yellow light should blink when in the enable position and should start the generator automatically when the AC calls for it to start as well as when my house batteries need to be recharged?

Thanks

Any info will be great so I can sort out if I need to do a manual start . I am trying to eliminate a problem and hope it is me not correctly setting the switches. Heading home from Florida and need to spend a few nights boondocking so wanted to check in before I arrive back to cold weather. Here I ant to assure that the heater and the fridge are kept running when in auto and when needed

Old 03-15-2021, 12:47 AM   #2

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
You didn't say which brand of auto start you have. There are several. On my Magnum AGS, the AC wanting to come on will not start the generator. The Magnum remote panel has a temp sensor in it, and I can adjust the temp the auto start will start the generator. It will also auto start based on battery voltage.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:58 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
Auto start questions.

My auto start control has test/start----off ----enable.

I lost shore power and the AC was on. I shut down the power pushed the Auto Gen start switch, the yellow light began flashing and the generator started.

That seemed fine. The AC reached temp and shut down as well as the generator shut off---I left the switch in the enable mode.

I lowered the thermostat to see if the auto gen woul start again when the AC called for it to go on.

Nothing. I can start the generator manually and it will activate all the 120 outlets go on and the AC will start. The generator will run until I hit the stop--this is the manual start switch on the upper panel

Am I correct that the auto start, when in the enable position the yellow light should blink when in the enable position and should start the generator automatically when the AC calls for it to start as well as when my house batteries need to be recharged?

Thanks

Any info will be great so I can sort out if I need to do a manual start . I am trying to eliminate a problem and hope it is me not correctly setting the switches. Heading home from Florida and need to spend a few nights boondocking so wanted to check in before I arrive back to cold weather. Here I ant to assure that the heater and the fridge are kept running when in auto and when needed
Auto Gern Start will start the generator when the temp reaches the auto start temp set at the AGS control panel and not at the AC thermostat.

In a storage compartment your should have a control p[anel where you set parameters such as temp, battery level, run time and black out times.

I suggest to find and read the manual for your particular AGS system.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:02 AM   #4

State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
I have the auto gen model---Magnum Dimensions. 😊😊

Next to it is the meter displaying the battery Xantre/pro that shows the battery voltage in and out at full charge reads out at 13.8 and auto starts, should, at 12.1v.

I have 3 115 AH batteries so 345 total AH usable is about 1/2 or about 150. That gives me a good amount of run time for the lights fridge and tv's, heater blower etc. Usually anywhere between 6 to 9 hours with the residential fridge.

Hope this helps figure out if it's just for the batteries to recharge or as I was told for the AC to be able to call for power to start the Gen and run the AC.

Thanks