Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2022, 05:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #26397
No 12v service in 2013 Thor freedom elite

Hi. Need help bought a 2013 Thor freedom elite and did not know anything about rvs. Found out quickly that my 12v system not working. No lights, water, pump, won’t turn on propane for water heater. All stuff works on shoreline and generator just not 12v. House battery is new but won’t charge. Got it charged. Solenoid under hood on drivers side was rusted badly so I changed it. Wasn’t sure whether it had anything to do with it. So I notice when I try to use the 12v by checking gauges on panel that it works for a second then goes out. Sort of lost. Thought about checking house battery cables. Tough to get at. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:01 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Do you have a Use / Store Switch? If so, it needs to be in the "Use" position to supply 12V from the batteries.

If it is in the "Use" position and you still don't have 12V, you will want to check your isolator relay and associated fuses.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
There are several things between your house batteries and the 12 VDC buss. Starting from the house batteries + cable you will find a 50 amp (normally) DC breaker. After that you will find a latching relay controlled by a USE/STORE (battery disconnect) switch normally by the entrance door. Finally, in the power center are two large (30 or 40 amp) reverse polarity connection fuses.

Needless to say all of these have to be good/closed for the batteries to supply 12 VDC to the coach.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #4

THOR #26397
Do you know where that relay is located? Is there a way to see if battery disconnect is the problem. The confusion for me is that I get power for a split sec then it shorts out. Appreciate help. I am not getting power to converter. Tested using voltmeter red and while wires so finding break is my problem. Looked at fuses. All good. Thanks
Old 04-04-2022, 03:07 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Frank View Post
Do you know where that relay is located? Is there a way to see if battery disconnect is the problem. The confusion for me is that I get power for a split sec then it shorts out. Appreciate help. I am not getting power to converter. Tested using voltmeter red and while wires so finding break is my problem. Looked at fuses. All good. Thanks
Sounds like you have a bad connection that "OPENS" (not shorts) as soon as you try to pull current from the battery.

Converter not working is likely a completely separate issue as all 12 volt items should work regardless of the house batteries when plugged into SP.

What model Freedom Elite do you have?
Old 04-04-2022, 06:07 PM   #6

THOR #26397
I have 2013 freedom elite. Could it be negative battery cable from house battery. All fuses are good. Thanks for any help
Old 04-04-2022, 07:12 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Frank View Post
I have 2013 freedom elite. Could it be negative battery cable from house battery. All fuses are good. Thanks for any help
Could be.