Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Missouri
THOR #16182
First Outing Blues

Made it to Branson for our first outing. After the addition of a rear sway bar and steering stabilizer the 29M handled like a dream.

Learned a valuable lesson right off the bat, that is to travel with multiple lengths of fresh water hoses. Set up, plugged in, discovered the hose was too short. Tore down, backed up, set up again, only to discover the hose was still too short. Thanks to friendly neighbors we overcame the problem and made a note to buy additional hoses.

Just after starting to run some water in the sink we heard a knock at the door and my wife and I both thought we had REALLY friendly neighbors. In camp, for 30 minutes, and already the welcoming party was at our door! I was sure they were there to share their baked goods! NOT. Instead the caring neighbor told us to shut off our water, like NOW!, and come outside. So we did. ooops...a technician had forgotten to connect the grey water hose to the grey water tank.

Branson has a lot to offer but no where in the brochures did it include a cascading waterfall from underneath your wall slide! Called my friendly neighborhood salesman who told me if I wanted a mobile repairman it would go against my MPP deductible, or, I had the option of gaining additional experience driving the coach, into service, and hour away.

Seeing that we had few options for an enjoyable weekend without water, we pronounced the trip 30 minutes after arrival and headed back home.

Our optimism remains high that our coach will only sit in service for weeks, not months, that service will fix our short list of problems, and that many more positive outings are ahead.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear that you got off to an inauspicious start...
But it will get better!
(I had to do the whole "back the rig" thing: when our slinky was about two-feet too short.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:39 PM   #3

THOR #16182
Thanks

Thanks Bob, I'm sure better days are ahead. Fortunately were pretty quick to find humor in most things and other than initial disappointment we're ready for more! Safe travels!
Old 07-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshocoach View Post
Made it to Branson for our first outing. After the addition of a rear sway bar and steering stabilizer the 29M handled like a dream.

Learned a valuable lesson right off the bat, that is to travel with multiple lengths of fresh water hoses. Set up, plugged in, discovered the hose was too short. Tore down, backed up, set up again, only to discover the hose was still too short. Thanks to friendly neighbors we overcame the problem and made a note to buy additional hoses.

Just after starting to run some water in the sink we heard a knock at the door and my wife and I both thought we had REALLY friendly neighbors. In camp, for 30 minutes, and already the welcoming party was at our door! I was sure they were there to share their baked goods! NOT. Instead the caring neighbor told us to shut off our water, like NOW!, and come outside. So we did. ooops...a technician had forgotten to connect the grey water hose to the grey water tank.

Branson has a lot to offer but no where in the brochures did it include a cascading waterfall from underneath your wall slide! Called my friendly neighborhood salesman who told me if I wanted a mobile repairman it would go against my MPP deductible, or, I had the option of gaining additional experience driving the coach, into service, and hour away.

Seeing that we had few options for an enjoyable weekend without water, we pronounced the trip 30 minutes after arrival and headed back home.

Our optimism remains high that our coach will only sit in service for weeks, not months, that service will fix our short list of problems, and that many more positive outings are ahead.
First, sorry to hear about the misfortune with the water leak.

Next, I believe you made a big mistake. You should have called Thor instead of the dealer. When we bought the Challenger on our shakedown trip we had a slide jam and calling Thor resulted in them authorizing mobile support with reimbursement. The mobile tech came out the next day and fixed our problem. I had to pay the mobile tech but Thor sent me a check once I emailed them a copy of the receipt.

If the coach is used and no longer under Thor's warranty that is a different issue.

Happy travels.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Thanks Bob, I'm sure better days are ahead. Fortunately were pretty quick to find humor in most things and other than initial disappointment we're ready for more! Safe travels!
Some of the best stories can come from the things that go wrong...
Old 07-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #6

THOR #16182
A big mistake from the standpoint that we might have been able to continue the outing? or big mistake in that Thor might not authorize service? With a grandson, three dogs, a disappointed wife I don't think spending the night without water was an option. But I understand your point. Thanks for your comment!
Old 07-31-2019, 06:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
A big mistake from the standpoint that we might have been able to continue the outing? or big mistake in that Thor might not authorize service? With a grandson, three dogs, a disappointed wife I don't think spending the night without water was an option. But I understand your point. Thanks for your comment!
A big mistake from the standpoint of you might have been able to continue the trip and not had the trip cancelled because of a dealer. Had Thor authorized a mobile tech you might have had one come out within an hour or two depending on availability. My last trip to the beach there were two different mobile techs rolling through the camp ground at various times of the day looking for people that needed assistance.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:27 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
We always take several short trips during our shake down of a new coach in case that should happen.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:32 PM   #9

THOR #16182
Paul, Good plan for sure! Our first certainly was short...just not in the context you're meaning. Im sure we'll do another shake down or two in our area after we get it back! Best wishes!
Old 07-31-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Can you set yourself up for some "Driveway Camping"?
Old 07-31-2019, 06:49 PM   #11

THOR #16182
Bob, Were certainly going to put the water system through its paces before the next outing!
Old 07-31-2019, 07:17 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We figured out a way to give the whole rig a good test...
(Minus the 30 amp power supply. )
We plug in to a 15 amp outlet, and hook up to the outside water faucet.
(Water is filtered at the faucet, and run through out "Drinking hose".
We bought a sewer dump caddy that'll hold 36 gallons, and we use that to empty the tanks into our "backyard engineered" sump outlet into our Town's sewage system...
We're good to go with everything except the air conditioner, and cable TV.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:06 PM   #13

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Quote:

I feel your pain. On our first trip, when I hooked up the water is started flowing out of the coils in the water heater because the dealer had not properly winterized the unit. Fortunately there were showers and restrooms close by and we filled water containers for everything else which allowed us to stay the course for the trip. It took about 4 weeks for them to get a new water heater and get it installed, so have patience.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:39 PM   #14

THOR #16182
Good use of your resources! I think we were so shocked and disappointed we never considered options of a bath house, portable water supply etc. We probably didn't think it through very well.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #15

THOR #6903
Just a note to anyone camping in the Branson area, due to over 20 campgrounds in the area there are a number of mobile tech services and several that are 24 hour. Also in town is a large class A repair facility that includes detailing as well as working on tour busses. They are also a factory Aqua Hot service center. Springfield is home to Reliable RV a very large Thor dealer and service center.

So, if in the area you can usually get help fairly quickly
Old 08-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #16

THOR #16182
Had no idea about the excess of mobile repair companies in Branson. I bought my coach at Reliable. Very good people pre-sale. They are being tested for their after the sale aptitude.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The best of luck to you, in your dealings with them.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #18

THOR #6903
Quote:
Had no idea about the excess of mobile repair companies in Branson. I bought my coach at Reliable. Very good people pre-sale. They are being tested for their after the sale aptitude.
I had some warranty work done on the Tuscany, turned out OK other than wait time

good luck, hopefully they treat you right
Old 08-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #19

THOR #16182
Im betting they will. I appreciate your comments.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:38 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #4687
Quote:
We also bought our VEGAS at RELIABLE. Their PDI was excellent! They showed us how everything worked and found numerous issues and repaired them on the spot.

The only issue was when they "ordered" parts from THOR. Waited a month, was told they were still "on order". I called THOR myself. THOR saw no order for the parts. Called RELIABLE service asked for the order number. They called back in an hour with the number. I then called THOR and yes, the order had been placed just an hour previous. The parts showed up two days later...

Found out to always check with THOR myself. I have a feeling THOR gets blamed for many things that aren't necessarily their fault. Everytime I have called THOR, they have been GREAT!

Tags
29m, grey water connection, service