Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2023, 12:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
THOR #29502
Radio/ camera monitor replacement

Hello there. I have recently run into an issue with my camper killing the battery and found the culprit to be my Jensen Radio will not power off but no display on screen so cameras don’t work. Through a little research i found a bypass trigger switch made by voyager that has 3 to 4 inputs for Cec connectors to a single rca connector to work in newer style radios. Unfortunately they have been discontinued as well now. Any ideas on a way around getting all 3 cameras working with a single unit radio. Jensen does make a r9000 unit that is about a 1000.00 but has terrible reviews…. Was hoping not to have to spend that much to make it work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-23-2023, 01:00 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
Have you checked with rearviewsafety.com? I used one of their multiplexor units feeding my old cams into a Dual radio with the RCA plugs. Later I got another version of it to connect to a dash monitor making it easier to see. Anyway, they do have the adapters you need, I think.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:54 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: Florida
THOR #27719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aray1975 View Post
Hello there. I have recently run into an issue with my camper killing the battery and found the culprit to be my Jensen Radio will not power off but no display on screen so cameras don’t work. Through a little research i found a bypass trigger switch made by voyager that has 3 to 4 inputs for Cec connectors to a single rca connector to work in newer style radios. Unfortunately they have been discontinued as well now. Any ideas on a way around getting all 3 cameras working with a single unit radio. Jensen does make a r9000 unit that is about a 1000.00 but has terrible reviews…. Was hoping not to have to spend that much to make it work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
If we knew what RV you had, helpful answers would be more helpful. Chances are you already have the camera multiplexor switch.

But more to the point: which battery was being killed? Main power should come from the house batteries but there is also memory power coming from the chassis battery which is expected to draw power 24/7, but not enough to kill the chassis battery. Maybe your radio really isn't your problem.
Old 04-23-2023, 02:36 PM   #4

State: Maryland
THOR #29502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geterdun View Post
If we knew what RV you had, helpful answers would be more helpful. Chances are you already have the camera multiplexor switch.

But more to the point: which battery was being killed? Main power should come from the house batteries but there is also memory power coming from the chassis battery which is expected to draw power 24/7, but not enough to kill the chassis battery. Maybe your radio really isn't your problem.
Sorry didn’t realize i hadn’t put it… it is a 2015 Thor hurricane. After disconnecting the chassis battery and charging it over night i was able to start the camper. When i sat down i kept hearing a noise and realized the radio was on. There is no display and i am unable to turn it off. It is a Jensen jr2212 which of course is discontinued. The radio had three inputs for my cameras (jensen 4pin type) the trigger wires are tied to the radio as well from the harness ie reverse and turn signals. I found a voyager csw3 switch that is perfect but no longer made
Old 04-23-2023, 02:51 PM   #5

Model: SOB
State: Florida
THOR #27719
Quote:
Sorry didn’t realize i hadn’t put it… it is a 2015 Thor hurricane. After disconnecting the chassis battery and charging it over night i was able to start the camper. When i sat down i kept hearing a noise and realized the radio was on. There is no display and i am unable to turn it off. It is a Jensen jr2212 which of course is discontinued. The radio had three inputs for my cameras (jensen 4pin type) the trigger wires are tied to the radio as well from the harness ie reverse and turn signals. I found a voyager csw3 switch that is perfect but no longer made
As CactusJuice said, Rearviewsafety.com has the multiplexor switch you need:

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...vs-501n-3.html
Old 04-23-2023, 03:19 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Provide main power to the radio with a fused wire from the house batteries. Be sure it's on the side of the disconnect switch (use/store switch) so you can completely disconnect power when not using. There's usually a separate wire you can run to the chassis battery to retain the programmed memories.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:07 PM   #7

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
I couldn't find anything on a Jensen jr2212? I would think pictures or manuals would still be around for a 2015.

Regardless, are you saying the your unit has not no on/off switch or the switch on the unit stopped working?

Is it possible that your unit was rewired since factory?

Does the radio otherwise work like it is suppose too ( meaning radio functions and cameras)

From what I read, I wouldn't think your radio could drain your chassis battery. Physically not possible in most my coach. If power left on it would drain my house batteries at least until time that the AGS started the generator to prevent low voltage.

You have not said anything about age or condition or chassis battery? It is possible that radio may have been switched on my mistake but chassis battery is going bad anyway?

If it were me, I would ensure chassis battery is good and passes a load test. Then I would turn on my Radio and play music for at least an hour to verify no change in voltage. If it draws of chassis, I would check wiring so it draws from House. Regardless when you turn off the ignition and assuming manual switch for use on house batteries is NOT on, there should be no power to the radio ( any radio) to draw current.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:08 PM   #8

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Provide main power to the radio with a fused wire from the house batteries. Be sure it's on the side of the disconnect switch (use/store switch) so you can completely disconnect power when not using. There's usually a separate wire you can run to the chassis battery to retain the programmed memories.
OP,

Verify and do this
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 04:42 PM   #9

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
we put the radio on a fused switch that I use to power it on and off. I didn't like it always drawing on the chassis battery. I also put the backup camera on a switch so it turns on and off when I want it, ie not just when in reverse.
as for the multiplexor, ours is under the driver dash, easy access vis removable dash cover. it was standard equipment. only one line feeds into the radio.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:40 PM   #10

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
tube

Quote:
Perhaps you have a JRV212T? See this U-Tube video

The JRV212T has a built in Multiplexer.

Also see this Thor Forum about the JRV212T.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...212t-1009.html

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera display, radio broken, work around