Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2019, 02:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #14703
leveling jacks

has anyone had success in improving the performance of the hydraulic pistons by cleaning them with WD-40?

Old 04-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I have never taken the cylinders apart to get to the pistons in the jacks themselves.
Maybe you are referring to the rod? The shaft you see coming out of the jack cylinder.

If you are trying to speed them along, that is a matter of fluid flow, volume and not pressure.
Pressure is a result of restriction to fluid flow (think weather, low pressure the winds are blowing, high pressure the winds are getting resistance to blowing).
There is not a flow adjuster built in to the LCI Leveling system Thor uses.
If you see a kinked line, that would cause a restriction to flow, and slower speed.

Using WD-40 is a good idea for corrosion protection.
If you leave them extended for long periods of time, then periodically coat the shafts with WD-40, or even light oil is okay (tranny fluid too), something petroleum based better than nothing, but not gasoline!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I agree, I dont think there is much you can do about the speed. If its kinda slow.... you will just have to live with it but its its crazy slow.... like 10 or 15 minutes to level the RV then I would have it serviced. Mine takes about 3 to 5 minutes to level manually (no auto funtion on mine).

Most sugguest using a silicon lube with teflon to coat the shafts (at least thats what Big Foot suggested for my system).

I would NOT use WD -40... it will strip away any fluid around the seals making them dry out and crack sooner than normal. Auto tranny fluid is Okay - but use the one that is recomended for your system.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannone@gmail.com View Post
has anyone had success in improving the performance of the hydraulic pistons by cleaning them with WD-40?

How long does it take to level?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:56 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
WD-40 on the cylinders might help prevent a bit of corrosion on the chrome cylinder but will do nothing regarding increasing the speed the jack. To do that you'll need a bigger pump and large hoses to increase the volume of oil thru the system. A single jack can lift several thousand pounds so a bit of drag between the cylinder and the seals will be nothing.

If you want to try then use spray silicone that dries so no dirt, sand or anything else sticks to the cylinder.